Iced Over

Part 3 of the Kai Trilogy

~~~~~~~~~~

After the Second World War, the US Military established a base in the Eastern Alps to investigate a series of rumors about "intelligent beasts" trying to occupy it. The rumors have been confirmed as a number of such beasts have been spotted and have even attacked a number of soldiers. This would continue for many years, until finally, the US Military has lost all contact with the base.

A month later, as the US Military began investigating the now abandoned base, Kiyoko Kisaragi, Kosuke Shinoda, and Katia Takarada became curious themselves, and stowed away on a transport plane to investigate for themselves. Although, they were discovered by the soldiers, they managed to get away and proceed with their investigation, where they discover the dead bodies of the base's soldiers. Unfortunately, the beasts make their presence known and send them into hiding, while chasing away a number of soldiers sent to apprehend them.

Meanwhile, the Star Alliance, Megumi Fujioka, Hanzo Hiramoto, Rinko Tsuri, Kaori Yoshikawa, and Minoru Saegusa hear about the disappearance of Kiyoko, Kosuke, and Katia. Concerned for their wellbeing, they stowed away on another plane to find them. Unbeknownst to them, Shota Kimura also stows away, wanting to make amends with Megumi.

At the base, one of soldiers finds them, but another, Sergeant Mikado Morikawa, recognizes Sakura and Kai, and allows the kids help them. Shortly thereafter, Shota makes his presence known, and the kids allow him to join. During the search, the other kids bond with Mikado, having been inspired by his sheer determination, while Shota bonds with Megumi, who ends up having a crush on him upon seeing his changed nature. Suddenly, the beasts appear and attack the battalion, killing a few soldiers, and injuring many others. However, the kids and Mikado remain unscathed, and create a defensive circle, where they stay overnight.

The next morning, the beasts strike again, killing another few, but the rest escape to continue the search. The kids discover Kiyoko's scarf and a trail that leads into a dilapidated village. The village is revealed to be inhabited by a number of beasts, who appear to be moderate. The battalion finds Kiyoko, Kosuke, and Katia alive and healthy. Kosuke explains that the moderate beasts took them in and hid them from the hostile beasts, revealed to be an enemy clan. Before they could leave, the hostiles appear and attack the moderate village. The moderates fight back, allowing the battalion to escape. Unfortunately, the battle starts an avalanche. The avalanche claims another few soldiers, and knocks a younger soldier, Jensen, unconscious, prompting Mikado to grab him. The battalion takes a quick break at a flat area, but the hostiles emerge. With no other choice, the battalion decides to fight back, sending a number of hostiles running, but the ones that remained cause an explosion, before the kids manage to put them down. To their horror, Mikado is fatally wounded. The weakened Mikado tells Sakura and Kai to lead the battalion back to the base, which they reluctantly do. A number of hostiles regroup and charge at the battalion, but Mikado keeps the former group busy long enough to use a grenade on them.

The kids lead the battalion back to the base, where they tell their testimony to the higher-ups. The base goes through refurbishment, while a memorial for Mikado is constructed. Meanwhile, the Star Alliance decides to expand their group by recruiting Kiyoko, Kosuke, Katie, Megumi, Shota, Hanzo, Rinko, Kaori, and Minoru. The movie ends with Sakura's group parting ways with their new recruits.

In the post-credits scene, it is revealed that Shota and Megumi are now dating.