Chapter 6- Only the Beginning

When Nightkit awoke the next day, he realised that he was in the nursery with Petalstorm.

"Go to sleep, Nightkit," Hazelpool mewed to him. "You had a long night yesterday."

"I want Darkthorn back," Nightkit mewed sadly.

"He will be watching you from StarClan," the queen mewed softly. "One day you will join him, but not soon."

Nightkit didn't know what to say. He was about to sleep when a loud yowl rang through the camp.

He poked his head out of the nursery and spotted Flowerpaw.

"Specklepaw didn't sleep in the apprentice den last night!" she mewed worriedly.

"I didn't see her yesterday," Reedfang, Specklepaw's mentor, added. "She was supposed to meet me at Tallpines for her hunting assessment."

"We should send out a search party for her," Breezetail mewed, his pelt plastered with cobwebs from the battle with ShadowClan.

"Yes," Birchstar agreed. "I-"

"Wait!" Flowerpaw called.

"What is it?" Birchstar sounded confused.

"I-I think Specklepaw might be in RiverClan," she replied nervously.

"RiverClan?" Strikepelt, Flowerpaw's and Specklepaw's father, asked. "We aren't on good terms with RiverClan currently."

"Are you sure?" Bluewhisker asked, her eyes filled with worry for her kit.

"I'm pretty sure," Flowerpaw mewed.

"Then, I want Strikepelt and Shadeheart to accompany me to RiverClan," Birchstar mewed. "We will set out immediately."

After they have walked out of camp, Nightkit padded out of the nursery. His pelt is pricking with unease to know the reason why Specklepaw was in RiverClan.

"Is there anything wrong?" he heard Oakblaze ask Flowerpaw.

"No," Nightkit was surprised at the bitterness in Flowerpaw's meow. "I shouldn't have told Birchstar that Specklepaw is in RiverClan."

"Don't worry, she will be fine," Oakblaze wrapped his tail around her.

As Nightkit watched them, he suddenly felt that tension was forming in the air. I thought Oakblaze liked Flamenose? Why is he showing affection to Flowerpaw?

He was shaken out of his thoughts by Flowerpaw's relieved yowl. "Specklepaw! You are alright!"

Nightkit expected Specklepaw to happily run towards Flowerpaw, but she drew back when Flowerpaw padded close.

"Why did you tell them?" she hissed.

"I-I had to!" Flowerpaw stammered. "Every cat is worried!"

"I almost lost a good friend because of you!" Specklepaw snapped.

"Nightkit, go back into the nursery," Petalstorm called to him.

Nightkit sighed but he padded into the nursery, where Petalstorm nudged him into the nest.

"Go to sleep," she meowed.

Nightkit didn't protest as he tried to sleep.

~~~~

A moon later, Nightkit was ready to become an apprentice. Specklepaw's warrior ceremony was delayed because of the incident, and Nightkit doubted Specklepaw would forgive Flowerpaw easily.

"Let all cats who are old enough to catch their own prey to gather at the Highledge for a Clan meeting!" Birchstar yowled strongly.

After the cats have gathered, Birchstar mewed, "Today, ThunderClan grows stronger with one new warrior and ome new apprentice. Flowerpaw, step forward."

"I, Birchstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Flowerpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?" he asked.

"I do," Flowerpaw replied.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name: Flowerpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Flowerfeather. StarClan honours your determination and courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan," Birchstar finished.

"Nightkit, step forward," Birchstar continued.

Nightkit stepped forward, his paws tingling with excitement.

"Nightkit have reached the age of six moons, and is ready to become an apprentice. Nightkit, from this moment on, you will be known as Nightpaw," he announced.

"Runningfoot, you are a loyal and swift warrior. Pass these onto young Nightpaw," Birchstar finished.

As Nightpaw touched noses with his new mentor, the Clan began to call out the new warrior's and new apprentice's names.

"Flowerfeather! Nightpaw! Flowerfeather! Nightpaw!" the call rang around the ThunderClan camp.

"Darkthorn would be proud of you," Petalstorm purred to her kit.

"I hope so," Nightpaw mewed, closing his eyes. Suddenly he heard a voice so faint that he could barely make out the words.

"Blazing oak will be crushed by flames of fury, but fallen feathers will bring a new dawn. A pelt of stars will save the Clan from a looming treachery," that was what Nightpaw heard. He was snapped out of his thoughts by his mentor.

"Nightpaw," Runningfoot mewed, "it's time for a tour, since it is still early."

Nightpaw nodded and followed his mentor out of the camp. As he carefully stepped further into the forest, he gazed at the tall trees towering over him.

My first day as an apprentice had begun.