Chapter 1- Small beginnings

"When is he going to open his eyes?" a muffled voice sounded on Nightkit's ear. He forced his eyes open, blinking at the bright light.

"He already did, Darkthorn," his mother purred. She was a cream she-cat unlike Nightkit. A dark tom smiled at him with warmth. "Hello Nightkit."

Nightkit instantly knew that the tom was his father. He pounced onto him playfully. "Roar, I'm a badger that is going to eat you,"Darkthorn mewed.

Nightkit excitedly jumped on Darkthorn's back, proud of it as he saw his father's surprised expression, and swiped at his pelt.

He pretended to be hurt and he fell dramatically. Nightkit puffed out his chest and growled as fierce as he can, "Get out of ThunderClan territory!"

Darkthorn got up and purred, "You will be a great warrior soon." As he turned to his kit, a cream coloured tom mewed, "Darkthorn! You are in Bluewhisker's patrol!"

"I'm coming," he replied and said to Nightkit, "Don't get in trouble when I'm gone."

Nightkit nodded as Petalstorm grabbed him. He squeaked in protest but she began to lick his fur. "You need a good cleaning," she explained, "and you can't be messy all the time."

"Can I explore the camp?" he asked when she finished cleaning him. Petalstorm gave her approval and he ran out of the den excitedly.

"First time out of the nursery?" a deep voice purred. It was the cream tom that called Darkthorn to join a patrol. "Yup! The camp is so big!" he replied with a jump. "Are you the deputy?"

"Yes I am the deputy," the tom replied. "My name is Breezetail." Nightkit suddenly noticed that he had a distant look and the kit asked hesitantly, "Why are you sad?"

Breezetail looked at the young kit seriously and replied, "I like Moonberry, Birchstar's sister. But she seems unwilling to get another mate."

"Why?" Nightkit asked curiously.

"She had another mate, called Eagleflight. They seemed happy with each other at first, but when she was having kits, he left her for another she-cat," he explained.

"I understand," Nightkit mewed. The deputy dipped his head and walked off. As Nightkit began to head back the nursery, a voice stopped him.

"Hi Nightkit!" a brown tom, who looked like an apprentice, walked towards him. "Hi," he greeted.

"My name is Oakpaw," he introduced. "Can I be your tour guide?" Nightkit hopped up and down in excitement. "Sure!"

Oakpaw walked towards a den. "This is the apprentice den," he announced. Inside, there was a flame coloured she-cat and a light gray she-cat.

"My name is Flamepaw," the flame coloured she-cat mewed, "and that is Specklepaw."

Oakpaw nodded and asked, "Where is Russetpaw and Flowerpaw?" Specklepaw shrugged. "I think they went to train with their mentors."

"So, there are only five apprentices in the clan?" Nightkit asked. "Well, I'm almost a warrior," Oakpaw pointed out. "Let's meet the elders, or rather, elder, next."

Nightkit mewed a quick goodbye to the other apprentices before following Oakpaw. He went into a den where a golden tabby she-cat was resting in her nest.

"This is Honeymist," Oakpaw mewed as the elder stood up. "Are you the new kit?" she asked. Nightkit nodded as she mewed, "Well, I hope that you will be more hardworking than this apprentice here. Always making excuses."

Oakpaw flattened his ear in embarrassment as she continued ranting. "Always bringing soggy nests and expecting me to sleep on it."

Oakpaw and Nightkit left the den quickly. Oakpaw half jumped to the nursery and mewed, "I know that you would have known the names of the queens, but I know stories about them! Care to listen?"

Nightkit nodded excitedly as Oakpaw began to speak, "Well, to start off, Amberbreeze, who is the golden she-cat, is my mother. She decided to stay as a nursery queen after having me."

Nightkit listened attentively and asked, "Who is your father?"

"My father is Eagleflight, who looks like me," Oakpaw mewed, stopping when he saw Nightkit's gaze changing. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Nightkit plunged straight in. "Did Eagleflight had a mate called Moonberry?"

Oakpaw nodded, not understanding why he was kind of angry about it. "Runningfoot and Shadowfur are their kits," he explained.

Nightkit hesitated and mewed, "Breezetail told me that he wanted to be mates with Moonberry but she was unwilling to."

Oakpaw nodded and continued, "Another queen in the nursery is Hazelpool, but you won't usually see much of her. Hanging out with Flinttalon, which is her mate, I guess."

"Cool," Nightkit yawned as Petalstorm herded him into his nest. When he protested, his mother faced the apprentice. "You can continue your talk tomorrow. Nightkit needs to have a nap."

Oakpaw nodded and left the den. She wrapped her tail around Nightkit as his eyes slowly closed.

------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Here's the first chapter. :)