Chapter 2- Missing

Nightkit was having a nice dream about catching mice when a yowl woke him up. "Petalstorm, what's going on?" he asked.

She looked worried as she went out. Nightkit followed her outside the clearing where a few cats have already gathered.

Birchstar came to the crowd and asked, "What's wrong?" A light brown tabby she-cat mewed, "I was hunting with Oakpaw and then a group of rogues attacked us. He told me to head back to camp for reinforcements but I refused. As we fought, one of the rogues pushed him off the gorge. I tried to find him in the water but he wasn't there! Oakpaw has gone missing!"

Amberbreeze, the golden she-cat, wailed, "Not my only kit!" A brown tom, who Nightkit assume is Eagleflight, rested his tail on his mate's shoulder.

"He will come back," the older warrior mewed certainly.

The clan murmured mews of consolation as Amberbreeze ran into the nursery. "I told him that I will be there for him," Nightkit heard her cry to Hazelpool. "But now I didn't."

"He will be fine," the brown queen mewed. "StarClan will protect him." Nightkit sighed. "He was very nice to me," the little kit mewed sadly.

"StarClan will guide him," Shadowfur, the medicine cat apprentice, mewed.

Petalstorm came back in and mewed, "Don't worry so much. Oakpaw will be fine and he will be back soon. You are going to be an apprentice soon, don't let it spoil your feelings."

Nightkit nodded. The morning was a bit too much to handle for a one moon kit.

~~~~

Oakpaw yowled in shock as a rogue crashed into him and knocked him into the gorge.

The air rushed past him so fast and soon, he landed into icy water. "Help!" he yowled. "I can't swim!"

Oakpaw trashed his paws frantically but dark waves of water splashed him each time his head was above water.

His paws ached and he felt more drenched than he ever felt in his life. The water was pulling him down and his paws screeched at him to give in.

I mustn't, Oakpaw thought.

As more water threatened to sink him, he wondered if Flowerpaw was okay. For once in his life, he felt comforted when he saw her kind face.

Before Oakpaw could realise that he was in danger, his paws gave way and he began to sink.

As his eyes began to close, he caught a glimpse of a black tom jumping into the water.

~~~~

Oakpaw woke up and coughed up some water. He was in a stony cave, and the only source of light was a crack on top.

He looked around and noticed that there was another nest beside him. A black tom appear in front of him, and he backed away from him.

"I saved you from drowning," the tom mewed calmly. "I mean no harm."

Oakpaw forced his fur to lie down and relax. "Why did you save me?" he asked.

"I don't just watch," he replied stiffly. "You are fine, luckily, just got a soaking and sore paws."

Oakpaw nodded, closing his eyes uneasily.

~~~~

"Flinttalon, lead a border partol along the RiverClan border with Darkthorn and Reedfang," Breezetail mewed.

Darkthorn followed the tom as he quickly led the patrol. Reedfang was alert, pricking up his ear for sudden sounds.

Darkthorn could still remember that the day after he and Spottedpelt got their warrior names, almost half of RiverClan have attacked.

The Clan have been on guard since then, and most believed that RiverClan would strike again soon.

The fishy smell of the RiverClan border was pungent and Flinttalon wrinkled his nose. "Seems like a patrol just came by," he commented.

Reedfang narrowed his eyes and mewed, "I think I saw a big RiverClan patrol coming, but it disappeared."

"Because we are right here," a voice snarled. "RiverClan, attack!"

Darkthorn was pounced onto by Nighttail, the deputy, and he mercilessly clawed at his pelt.

He yowled in pain but Nighttail continued to claw at him. "ThunderClan cats deserves to die," he snarled, biting onto Darkthorn's pelt.

Darkthorn managed to shake him off, but was immediately surrounded by many more RiverClan cats.

His clanmates were pinned down, helpless as Nighttail advanced on him. "Let this be a warning," he growled. "On now on, this is RiverClan territory!"

Nighttail pounced onto Darkthorn and raked his claws down his cheek. The other RiverClan warriors stepped forward and unbalanced him.

Darkthorn fell down, exposing his belly. "Stop! This is against the warrior code!" he heard Reedfang yowl.

Nighttail struck Darkthorn's head so hard that he blacked out. The last thing he heard was Reedfang's yowl of defiance.