Chapter 34: Mutual feelings

"This place is really nice! It really sets the mood for a nice date, don't you think?"

Fredalyne winked at her brother from across the table as she scooped ice cream into her mouth.

Lenny  shook his head. He knew she was up to something. He just didn't know what exactly.

"Why not stop all this drama and tell me why we haven't left yet even after spending a whole hour? Who stays that long at an ice cream parlor?"

Fredalyne bit her bottom lip mischievously.

"Apparently, those four ladies there were here long before us. I could tell 'cos their first glasses were halfway down when we entered."

Lenny face palmed.

"So? I don't have all day, and you know it's no longer safe for us to even leave the house now that that cunt is out there."

Fredalyne's phone dinged and she quickly grabbed it, a small smile tugging the corner of her lips. She wiggled her brows at her annoyed brother.

"Time to go!" She announced slyly.

He released a sigh of relief and grabbed his phone.

"Well well well. If I say leave, the only person leaving here is me, 'cos....tadaaa...!"

Just then Phoebe stepped in, her braids gone to be replaced by an afro she definitely had a hard time combing.

She looked around  for her new friend who literally forced her to meet her up.

Then as if on cue, her eyes landed right on her beautiful nightmare, looking at her dumbfounded.

Fredalyne hopped off her seat and met her halfway, wrapping an arm around her.

"Oh I'm so happy you could make it! Thank you! Thank you! Now I'm having a terrible stomach upset so I'd have to get home. I hate outside washrooms with all the infections that come with it. Enjoy your date loves!"

She pulled Phoebe to her seat and hurried out before her brother could ask any questions. 

The atmosphere thickened, as a cloud of awkwardness hung in the air. She pulled the empty seat back and sat down.

"Um...hi."

Phoebe greeted and smiled shyly.

Mr. Fletcher smiled back.

"So..."

"Actually, I had to make my brother cover up for me to get here quickly and go back so I'd like to go."

Phoebe scratched her forehead shyly.

"You look amazing without the braids."

He shrugged her excuses off.

She gulped, the compliment taking her by surprise.

"Uh...well...those braids have endured countless times of rain anyway. And... thanks." 

He grinned.

"Turns out Fredalyne knew just who I wanted to see." He remarked sarcastically.

"Same from my side." Phoebe scoffed.

He laughed. This girl would never change.

"How have you been? Your mates are vacating in three days."

"I've been okay, except for the fact that I couldn't take the exam and now my whole life has come to a standstill. I don't know what I'm gonna do about it."

"Your life would only be at a standstill when you let it. Phoebe you should've listened to me when I asked you to stay. I had everything figured out."