Chapter 36: Unveiling the skeletons

Phoebe's POV

I sat still, my heart pounding loudly in my chest as I tried miserably to shut down the voices in my head that were telling me what I didn't want to hear. My mom had a lot of explaining to do, and I was going to demand that explanation right away.

She was hiding things that could be unbelievably terrifying. I had to brace myself for it. I slammed my eyes shut and ignored Kojo's enquiries. Now wasn't the time.

My palms were cold and sweat trickled down my face, pinning tendrils of hair to my cheeks. The wind outside was quite unusual, and it looked like it would rain. ''Please drive fast.'' I pleaded, my eyes still shut as I lowered my body further into the seat.

Kojo had given up on his questioning, seeing as I didn't look ready to talk about anything.

''Should we take you home first?'' Kojo asked, concern laced in his voice.

I shook my head.

''We better get Fiifi home before we get him in trouble for not going out with any form of security.''

He sat up. ''Oh no. I told my mom I'd be spending the night at my granny's house. Don't worry. I've already called to tell grams I'd be in a little late.''

''Let's go to your gran's house then. It'd save Kojo the stress of driving back alone because of me, since we literally live together.''

''Yeah. Fair.''

We settled into a comfortable silence as Kojo made a U-turn and headed for the Southernmost part of Ocean View. The winds outside seemed to be turning aggressive and the dark clouds seemed to be turning darker.

We were certainly going to have rain. I watched as the leaves of trees rustled as the car sped by. The chaotic windy scene outside was a clear representation of my inner melancholy as I tossed about weird thoughts in my head.

If things turned out to be what I feared, my life was definitely going to change for the worst. My whole life would have been a lie. I shuddered and quickly blocked that line of thought from my head.

My eyes fluttered open when the car came to a stop. Fiifi turned around to give me a comforting smile and proceeded to lean in for a hug. ''Thanks for everything. I owe you one...I guess.'' I managed to say and smiled.

''You sure do.'' He grinned and stepped out.

He said something in pidgin to Kojo and headed for the huge metallic gates in the distance.

I crawled into the passenger seat and fixed my seat belt.

Kojo placed a comforting hand on my hands which I had intertwined in my lap. ''Whatever turns up, we'll go through it and overcome it together boo. I won't let you go through anything alone, and I'm sure there's a good explanation for all this. Please don't overthink. Just relax. Mm?''

I smiled weakly at him. ''Mm.'' I hummed a response and laid back in my seat as Kojo started the car, his right hand still on mine.

My thoughts were a mess. I didn't know what to think or how to feel. I did not want to start putting blames where blames didn't belong. I just hoped I was just getting worried for nothing. I felt Kojo squeeze my hand gently to reassure me that he was right there with me. I relaxed against the comfy leather seat and shut my eyes. A moment later, I dozed off.

The car screeched to a halt, jolting me out of my short nap.

''Do you want me to come with you?'' Kojo stroked the back of my hand with his thumb. I shook my head.

''I'll be fine.''

Kojo stepped out after me.

''Give me a call when you want to talk. Okay?''