Chapter 5

Next Day

At school, Mark walks down the hall, not caring if he bumped into anyone. "Hey, Mark. Are you okay?" Mark hears his friend William making Mark look at him. "Oh, no. Did you tell Jesse about how you feel about her but she doesn't like you back." William said to him. "No, it's something else. My dad, um...he got attacked." Mark said to him. "What? You're kidding." William said to him making Mark look away from him. "Oh, god, you're not kidding. Is-Is he okay? What happened?" William asks him. "He's in the hospital. They're doing, uh...They're doing their best, but it's...It's messed up, William. He's really hurt." Mark said to him explain to his friend. "Jesus, Mark. I'm so sorry. Did they catch who did it?" William asks him. "No, not yet." Mark said to him. "Speaking as someone who's been attacked in this stupid city, I'm here for you. Whatever you need. You wanna talk, I'll listen. You and Debbie need a lasagne, I make a good one. Actually, I make a great one." William said to him making Mark smile a little. Then Mark's attention drifted onto someone else, it was Jesse making him smile a little. "I need to go." Mark said to William who follows his eyes to see Mark looking at Jesse. "Okay, I will see you later." William said to him then Mark walks over to Jesse. "Hey, Jess." Mark calls her making Jesse look at him. "Mark." Jesse said as she walks up to him. "How are you doing?" Jesse asks him making Mark pull her into a hug. "I'm happy you are okay." Mark said to her holding her tightly. "Do you know this guy, Jess?" Mark hears someone making him look up to see Eve Wilkins. "Yes, I do know him. Mark this is Eve Wilkins." Jesse said to him while Mark realizes who she was. "Um...thanks for saving my butt back there. Y-Yesterday, I mean." Mark said to Eve while letting go of Jesse. "Yesterday?" Eve asks very confusedly. "He was the one in the blue and the yellow." Jesse said to her making Eve realize it. "Oh." Eve said while looking at Mark. "Yeah. That was me. I'm, um..." Mark said to Eve then he looks around. "Invincible." Mark whispers to them. "God, that sounds dumb when I say it like that." Mark said to them while Jesse leans onto Mark. "It sounds a little optimistic maybe." Eve said to him then she looks around. "I'm Atom Eve, but the rest of the team just calls me Eve. So does everyone else." Eve said to Mark. "Right, since it's kind of a normal name, and not something like..." Mark said and Eve cuts him off. "Invincible?" Eve said to him. "Invincible, yeah." Mark said to her making Jesse look at Mark. "Do you want to talk about yesterday?" Jesse asks him making Mark look away from her. "You look like you need to talk about yesterday." Jesse said to him and the three walked down the hallway.

On The School's Rooftop

"I never recognized you before." Mark said to Eve while he sits down next to Jesse. "No one does. It's a psychology thing. If you don't expect to see a superhero in your school, you don't see a superhero in your school." Eve said to him while Jesse leans onto Mark's shoulder. "Hmm." Mark said while he starts playing with Jesse's hair. "I even follow Teen Team on Instagram." Mark said to them. "That's us. Everyone's fourth favorite superhero team." Eve said to him. "I like you guys way better than Fight Force." Mark said to the two making Jesse look at him. "Oh, we're definitely better than Fight Force. Those guys are the worst. They got their asses kicked by the Lizard League last year." Jesse said to him. "Oh, I remember seeing that on TV and I remember seeing Captain Immortal and Immortal saving them." Mark said looking at Jesse. "What can I say, I love working with my dad." Jesse said to him. "And working on her own." Eve said to Mark with a smile. "So...you're new to this, right?" Eve asks Mark who looks at her. "Uh...I just got my powers. That was my first big fight." Mark said to her. "Ah, okay. That explains a lot. Still, not bad for a rookie." Eve said to him. "Are you kidding? I froze out there. People got hurt." Mark said to her making Jesse look at Mark. "People escaped because of you, and everyone freezes their first time." Jesse said to Mark who gives her a smile. "I used to throw up before every fight. Barf my guts out." Eve said to him making Mark chuckle. "Really?" Mark asks her. "Like a fire hydrant. You'll get used to it. The fights, not the barfing." Eve said to him with a smile. "Ah...I just...It wasn't what I expected. I figured I'd punch some aliens, and they'd go home." Mark said to the two girls. "It's not how it looks on TV." Eve said to him. "No shit. Thanks." Mark said to the two girls making Eve smile while Jesse shows Mark her hand. "We charge 250 an hour." Jesse said to him while Eve stands up. "What?" Mark said to her making Jesse laugh a little. "I'm kidding." Jesse said to him making Mark give her a hug. "Jesse, after school why don't you take Mark to meet the Team?" Eve asks Jesse making Mark look at her. "Teen Team? I dunno...I heard they were only everyone's fourth favorite." Mark said to the two girls as the school bell rings. "Meet me out front after class, Invincible." Jesse said to Mark as Eve leaves the rooftop. Jesse kisses Mark's cheek then she jumps off the roof making Mark look down to see a blue portal.