Chapter 12

Next Day

At Grayson's Household

Jesse wakes up in Mark's bed seeing he was not with her. "Right, I spent the night over here." Jesse said to herself while she plays with the amulet around her neck that she doesn't take off. Jesse looks at the amulet that was glowing in her hands. "You're wake." Jesse hears someone making Jesse turn around to see Mark in his Invincible look. "And were are you going?" Jesse asks him as Mark sits on the bed. "Well, I have to go training with my dad. Would you like to join us?" Mark asks her while Jesse sits up. "No, I think you are going to keep your eyes on me and not what your dad." Jesse said to him as she pulls up Mark's mask on. "I will not." Mark said to her. "Well, I am going to see Olga and see how she is going." Jesse said to him. "Oh, Red Rush's wife." Mark said to her making Jesse nod a little. "Yep." Jesse said to him. "So, I will see you later then." Mark said to her. "Yep." Jesse said to him with a smile. "Our first day as a couple and we are not even spending a day together." Mark said to her playfully. "Drama Queen." Jesse said to him. "Will you be here when I get back?" Mark asks her hoping Jesse will be here. "Sure, I will been here waiting for you." Jesse said to him making Mark smile at her. "That's good to hear." Mark said to her and the two share a sweet kiss. "You ready, Mark?" Nolan calls Mark from outside his room. "I'm on my way." Mark said to him then he kisses Jesse's cheek before leaving. Jesse lays back on the bed and she looks at the amulet again thinking about the voice she heard last night from it.

Later by a desert, Nolan and Mark was flying over the sand but Mark was flying a little to low. "Gain some altitude! You're messing up the desert." Nolan said to Mark who turns to see that he has created a big cloud of sand. "Huh? Uh...sorry." Mark said and he flies higher. "And pick up the pace. You need to push yourself if you want to build speed and endurance." Nolan said to him as Mark flies over to him. "I can't believe I still have to exercise." Mark said to him. "What, you thought being a Viltrumite was easy?" Nolan asks him then he does a spin away from Mark. "Show off." Mark said then he tried to do the same move, but lost control making Nolan look at him. "Whoa!" Nolan screams as he free falls pass his dad but he but he takes control again of his flying. "Okay, okay, let's take a break." Nolan said to him. "Now you're talking." Mark said to him as he turns to his dad. "Last one to Mount Everest does the dishes for a week. Go!" Nolan yelled then he flies away from Mark with speed. "Yeah!" Mark yelled liking that idea then he laughs. "Wait...where's Mount Everest?" Mark asks as he flies over to his dad. "It's the high one!" Nolan yelled and the two race to Mount Everest. 

Nolan reached Mount Everest first then Mark who falls into the snow behind Nolan. "Take deep breaths, buddy. The air's thin up here." Nolan said to him as Mark stands next to him. "No...kidding..." Mark said to him as a hiker reached the summit and was surprised to see them both there. "What the fuck?" He yelled as Mark pulls his hand out for him. "Hi. Sorry. It's okay. I'm..."

"Sometimes, I forget how beautiful this planet can be

"Sometimes, I forget how beautiful this planet can be. Too bad the human race is hell-bent on destroying it. Good thing they got us, right?" Nolan asks Mark while turning to his son. "Huh. Yeah, I guess. So, is Viltrum that different?" Mark asks him. "Oh, it's very different. We've ended wars all over the universe, brought peace to thousands of galaxies, lifted alien races out of the mud and into the future. It's why I'm here on Earth. It's why you're here." Nolan said to him. "I still can't believe you left everything to come help a planet you'd never even seen before." Mark said to him. "I told you, I was part of the..." Nolan said making Mark cut him off. "World betterment committee. Yeah, I know, but that's still not a reason." Mark said to him making Nolan look away from him. "Well, when your grandparents died, I was lost for a long time. They were the only family I had. Coming here felt like a chance to build something new." Nolan said to him. "You mean, like with Mom?" Mark asks him. "Yeah, your mom changed everything. She turned this place from a job to a home. Then you came along and changed it all again." Nolan said to him. "Huh. I don't know if I could do that." Mark said to him. "Do what?" Nolan asks him. "Leave everything behind." Mark said to him. "Hey, keeping the universe safe, living up to our people's heritage, it takes sacrifice, Mark. That's what I'm trying to teach you." Nolan said to him. "Sure. I get that." Mark said to him. "Okay. All right, one more round, huh? Last one home takes out the garbage for a month..." Nolan said then Mark takes off before he could finish and got a head-start. "Ha, ha, ha!" Mark laughs as Nolan looks up. "Ha..." Nolan said then he takes off quickly passing Mark. "Ah, man..." Mark said to himself.