xiii. he's just stupid

beth hadn't left her room ever since her argument with johnny

beth hadn't left her room ever since her argument with johnny. it had happened so fast, and suddenly he had blocked her on every single social media platform—even spotify.

at first, it hadn't alarmed her family, she had told them she ate dinner earlier than them and had then slept extremely late, where was the unusual in that? but when she wasn't out of bed at 13:00, and her room was totally dark when chris barged in to ask her something, they started worrying.

"betty?" chris hadn't used that nickname since they were kids. back then, they had been nicky, matty, chrissy and betty, but the silly nicknames had disappeared as they got older, the four siblings deeming them childish. something about seeing her laying curled up in a small ball on her bed made him use it, though.

"mhm?" she made a small sound as she turned under the white covers to face him. "what's up?" her voice was croaky, showing she had been crying.

"what's wrong?" he sat himself softly on the bed. "shall i call mom?" he asked, wishing his mom hadn't chosen that morning to get a haircut, wanting her there to help him navigate the situation.

"no, i'm fine," she mumbled.

"you're clearly not." he insisted, leaning forward to gently caress her arm. "has something happened?"

she hesitated for a moment but quickly decided to just tell him. why wouldn't she? she didn't have a reason to defend johnny anymore.

"he . . . broke up with me." her voice cracked and she swallowed hard to keep the tears at bay.

"oh, shit, i'm so sorry." he cringed at his own words. "i mean that's—" he was quiet for a moment, thinking his words over. "you deserve way better."

she shrugged in return. "he doesn't seem to think so." she whispered.

"he's just— he's just stupid." chris decided, opening his arms for her to hug him.

she didn't hesitate for a moment, immediately burrowing herself in the arms of her big brother.

he could feel the thin material of his white t-shirt getting wet with her tears as she started crying again. she thought that she had spent all her tears earlier, but apparently not. small, broken sobs left her as she pulled herself even closer to her brother.

"i just don't understand it," she whimpered.

"it doesn't make sense, betty, he's fucked in the head." chris tried to assure her, cringing at himself once again. nick was so much better at this.

———

after having texted nick to come help, the two brothers had gotten their sister to come downstairs.

she was now situated on the couch, blanket around her, dill chips in front of her and 'the proposal' playing on the tv.

she was trying her hardest to pay attention to the movie, it was one of her favourites and it always brightened her mood, but her thoughts were otherwise occupied. no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't push johnny orlando out of her thoughts. every time she looked at the couple on the screen, she was reminded of him. every word they said somehow brought her thoughts back to him.

it was infuriating. he didn't deserve to be in her thoughts. he deserved to be forgotten. she just couldn't forget him.

author's note!
heartbreaks are crazy hard to write so i hope u think this is alright 🤞🤞