27

27

In the morning, Cath's sister, along with her husband, arrived after a long drive, giving Andy the opportunity to go home. Luke offered to drive and waited, feeling awkward in a house that he could almost have called a second home only a few months before. He made them both a coffee while Andy showered and changed. He should have taken an hour or two to sleep, but he insisted on returning to the hospital. Luke couldn't blame him for that.

On the way back, Luke asked if he could stop off at home for a shower and a change, himself. He felt overdressed in his trousers, shirt and borrowed tie, wondering whether Andy would mention the clothing choice or not. Andy had other things on his mind, however. And not only the condition of his wife and daughter.

"So, this Krystal. Nice?" They had conversed in broken sentences about Cath and Skye, both feeling the weight of their estrangement, but now Andy wanted to move on. "I mean, you haven't dressed like that since ... well. It's good. Great. Known her long?"

"No. Not long." Luke turned onto his street, thankful that he could park up and break this conversation. "It's not what you think. She's just a friend. Honest."

Almost jumping out of the car, he rushed to his front door, opening it and then remembering the bags of clothing he still had in the boot. Ushering Andy inside, he headed back to the car, took out the bags and prepared to run upstairs with them, only for someone else to arrive, catching Luke on the threshold.

"Been out all night, eh?" Graham, hands in his pockets, wandered up the driveway after Luke. He inclined his head to look into the house where Andy had entered the living room. "Another caller? Having a lot of them of late."

"Just friends." Luke frowned, glancing indoors to see Andy switching on the tv. "Is there something you need?"

Graham licked his lips, trying to look inside the house again. He looked odd, excited, nervous. The smile upon his lips had a cruel edge to them as he looked Luke up and down, taking extra care to look at the shopping bags in his hands. Something was wrong here and Luke couldn't quite work out what.

"I've seen you, you know. In your bedroom. At night. I work in my garden, see. Pottering about when the wife's in one of her moods." Graham's voice had lowered, becoming almost conspiratorial. He leaned forward. "She gets those moods often, see, and I have needs. So do you, I reckon. Dressing up in frocks and wigs. Callers at all hours. I know what you are."

Luke's blood ran cold. He knew the older man gardened, but it never occurred to Luke he did so at night. It also had never occurred to Luke to close his bedroom curtains while dressing. None of the houses surrounding him could see into his bedroom and everyone minded their own business, usually. He dropped the bags inside the door, stepping forward.

"I'm not anything." The hissed words didn't sound confident. He now sounded more nervous than Graham appeared. He glanced over his shoulder. "I think you should go, Graham. Right now."

"Tranny cock whore." The grin, manufactured teeth in dire need of cleaning, made Graham look nothing like the kind older man he liked to present himself as. One of the hands in his pockets moved, stroking his penis through the material. "All I'm saying is, why bother with strangers when we can have our fun. Or with others. Either way. Or I could ..."

Luke stepped forward again, hand rising to grip the older man's jumper. If Andy heard any of this they would never rebuild their friendship. Uncertain what to do, he thought of Helen. She wouldn't take this. She wouldn't let a weasel like Graham make demands of her, or threaten her. Luke never stood up for himself, usually, but this was not a usual situation.

"Or you could what?" He glared into Graham's eyes, daring him and the older man began to scowl.

"Or I could tell everyone what you are. A pervert that dresses in women's frocks. A danger to the neighbourhood." Again, Graham looked around Luke to the inside of Luke's home. "Or I could tell your 'friend'. Just a friend, you say? Then I doubt he knows how sick you are. Or we could be friends, once or twice a week."