35

35

Mary and Sarah had left soon after Helen's show-stopping set, leaving Annalise in Lucinda's hands and she never moved too far away from Lucinda until the end of the night. Now, with finale complete, the last drinks sold, the weary, drunken souls passing through the doors of Butterfly for the last time, the entire staff breathed both a sigh of relief and shed tears of sadness. The doors became closed, staff bade each other their farewells until the staff party and the night drew to a close.

In Helen's flat, they all sat in silence. There seemed little to say and little to do except to reflect on a good night. A sad night, but a good one. Annalise rested her head upon Lucinda's shoulder as unspoken words passed between her, Helen and Krystal. It was more than a workplace for those two, it was their home. Butterfly had been their life for so long, Lucinda couldn't imagine how they must feel.

"I'll call for a taxi for Annalise and wait for it downstairs with her." Lucinda broke the silence, picking up her phone. With her head on Helen's knees, Krystal stroked Toby's head. "I'll take Toby for a walk, too ... oh ... that's weird."

"Darling if anything else weird happens around here, I want it whipped until it learns the error of its ways." Helen, arms spread along the sofa, rolled her head back, groaning. "Damn it! I was too sad and excited to feel horny before, now I'm gagging for a shag and all the fit blokes have gone home! Fuck! Fine, what's weird?"

"I've got a text from a blocked number." With her forehead creased, Lucinda showed Helen the message. "It just says 'Skye's team made the final'. I don't think it's from Andy. He wouldn't hide the number. Two days after the staff party."

Helen squinted as she looked at the message then shook her head, rolling it back again. She lifted Krystal's head from her knees and crossed her legs. Then switched the legs around. Finally, she rose to her feet and headed to the kitchen while Krystal attached Toby's lead to his harness. She looked concerned for Helen and allowed Lucinda to take the lead from her hand.

With the taxi called, Lucinda felt grateful of the opportunity to get out into the fresh air. Here, in the flat, it all felt a little tense and Lucinda didn't want Annalise to get caught in the middle if Helen decided to have another ranting outburst. She loved Helen, but the woman had no control of her emotions. With Annalise by her side, Lucinda reached for the door handle just as someone knocked.

"Helen? You ..." The words caught in her throat as she opened the door. Without being invited, Clarisse entered, Carlo by her side. "Come right in, why don't you? Helen, it's for you. Try not to break anything."

"From the look on her face, this is going to be awkward, isn't it?" Leaning in, Annalise whispered so quiet, Lucinda could feel her breath on her ear. "Do you want to stay? For support?"

"No. She always looks like that." She watched as Clarisse tried not to sneer at the flat around her and Helen circled the room, squinting as she stared at Clarisse. Like two animals caught in a cage. "Krystal is Helen's best friend, she's all the support Helen needs, but I don't think she will need it. I think this might be a good thing."

"A little privacy, please. Mimi and I have to talk. I expect you and your friend are going somewhere, Luca ..." Clarisse paused, her eyes travelling up and down Lucinda before giving a slow, approving nod. "Luciana, dearest. If you will?"

"Krystal stays. If you're having your lapdog here, she stays." Helen screwed up her face toward Carlo. "No offence, Carlo, darling."

"Quite a lot of offence taken." Carlo smiled toward Lucinda, lowering his voice as he leaned toward her. "Now that is an outfit! Don't worry. Everything will be fine."