Chapter 3

Mike and the girl hugged.
      "Is that..?" Max asked Lucas. He nodded.
      "I never gave up on you." Mike told her. "I called you every night. Every night for-"
      "353 days." She interrupted. "I heard."
      "Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?"
     "Because I wouldn't let her." Hopper replied. He walked towards her. "The hell is this? Where have you been?"
     "Where have you been?" She asked. He hugged her.
      Mike got angry. "You've been hiding her.. this whole time!" He said, pushing him.
      "Hey!" Hopper yelled. "Let's talk." He grabbed Mike. "Alone."
     They walked into another room. The girl stood there.
      "What the hell is going on?" I asked. "Who the hell is she? How did she do that?" I gripped my side.
     Steve fast walked over to me and grabbed me. "Slow down." He said, sitting me down.
     Lucas sat next to me. "Okay, so her names Eleven. Or El for short." He started. "We found her last year after Will disappeared. She has these really cool powers. She-"
     "Powers?" I cut him off. I looked at her. Was I like her? Is that why..?
     "I know it sounds insane-" he started again.
     "No.. it doesn't. It makes sense." I replied.
     "Good." Lucas replied. He then stood up and gave El a hug. Dustin did as well.
      "Are you okay?" Steve asked me quietly.
      "Yeah. I'm okay." I replied.
      Eleven and Joyce were hugging right next to us. They went back to see Will.
      They came back out and Joyce walked her to the drawings. "You opened this before, right?" She asked her.
     "Yes." She replied. Steve helped me up and walked me over along with everyone else.
     "Do you thing if we got you back there, you could close it?" She asked.
      El nodded.
      Hopper and Mike came back out. "It's not like it was before. It's bigger. And its crawling with those dogs."
      "Demo-dogs." Dustin corrected him.
      "I can do it." El said.
      "Theres one problem, if we close the gate, Will dies too." Max said.
       Joyce walked over to Will. Steve continued to help me over.
      "We keep giving it what it wants! Will said 'he likes it cold'. We need to burn it out of him." Joyce exclaimed. Hopper picked Will up and carried him outside. Jonathan and Joyce followed.
      "Here." Steve said, setting me down in a chair. I'll be right back." He walked out the door.
      A few minutes later, Steve walked back in.
      "Hopper," I started. He looked at me. "Let me come with you."
      "No. You're hurt. Out of the question." He replied.  
      "I think I can help." I said. "Actually, I know I can."
      Hopper looked at me again. "What makes you so sure?"
     "I can help.. I.. it feels weird to say- I think I'm like El." I said. He looked at El, then me.
     "Shit.. okay come on." Hopper said. Steve helped me up.
     "Alright," he said once we reached the door. "Be careful. Please." I smiled.
     "Of course. You be careful too." I said. I tried to move but he wrapped me in a hug.
      "I mean it. Don't get hurt." He said. He broke the hug and kissed my forehead.
      "I mean it too." I replied. "Goodbye Steve."
      "I'll see you soon." He replied back.
      Hopper walked me out to his car. "El! Let's go."
      El ran out to us and got in the car.
      Hopper and El had some heated conversation that turned sweet. I decided not to listen.
     When we arrived, Hopper helped me again. He grabbed his gun, and we walked into the lab.
     We walked through an eery hallway, then walked down the stairs.
      We got to a spot that had a lot of blood.
      "Stay here." Hopper commanded, making me lean on a rail. He walked down the stairs. "Shit.." he said from below. He was talking to someone.
     We walked down together. He introduced us to 'Doctor Owens'.
     I was able to walk mostly by myself the rest of the way. We continued to walk around, but as we got closer, we heard a noise.
     "Stay." Hopper said again. He walked near the noise. The screaming got louder, then muffled. They were leaving.
      El and I walked in. Just then, Jonathan gave us the word to close it. Me made our way down in an elevator thing.
     Then, El started. I focused as I tried to harness whatever was inside mr to help. There was a figure I could see through it. Then, it started to close just a little bit faster. My nose was bleeding. I was helping.
      We continued to close it. El closed her eyes. I knew she was doing most of the work, but I could also tell I was helping. That felt good.
     Demo-dogs started attacking us. Hopper shot them, and El and I continued to shut it. There was a black smoke that came through. It was trying to get us.
      El let out a scream. I tried to do what I thought she was doing what it looked like she was doing. Focusing on bad things.
      I focused on my father. On my mother. What happened to my mother. All of the horrible things my family has gone through. What I've gone through. The kids calling me a freak. My brother calling me a freak. I could hear his taunts in my head. I could hear my fathers criticism.
     Then, I felt my power strengthen. It was working. Suddenly, we were both floating in the air, as something approached us. There was some sort of fire fighting it back. From Eleven. We finished closing the gate, and then we both collapsed.
     Demo-dogs were falling. Hopper held Eleven, and I sat in the back.
      "You two did good. You did it." He said.
      My head was light. There were a bunch of blurry things. But we managed to make it back out.
     We met back at the Byers house. Hopper helped both El and I inside. When Steve saw me, he came over and helped me to a couch.
      "I've got you." He said, setting me down. "You guys did great." I smiled.
      "They did amazing." Hopper said.
      Steve held me. "Are you okay?" He asked. I finally looked at his face.
     "Holy Shit!" I exclaimed. "What happened?"
     "Billy." Max said, pointing at Billy's unconscious body.
     "Shit! Is he okay? Are you okay?" I asked.
     "Max just gave him a shot. I'm fine." Steve said. "Now, are you okay?"
     I nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine." I replied. And I meant it. I was fine.

      A month later, the weather had gotten colder. Steve and I were going strong.
     It was the night of the SnowBall. I was helping set up with Nancy.
     "So, you and Steve, huh?" She said. I grimaced.
     "Yeah... I hope it's not too weird." I replied.
     "Not at all. He's here, by the way." She said. "Dustin just walked in."
      I walked out to the car and went to the drivers side. He rolled the window down.
     "Hey Hargrove." He said with a smile.
     "Hey Harrington. I'm sorry I couldn't go out. I had already volunteered and Max wanted me here. She'll never admit it, but she's kind of nervous." I explained.
      "Don't worry about it. I'll see you tomorrow night anyways." He said. "Come here." He said. I poked my head through his window. He kissed me. "I'll see you tomorrow Y/N."
     "Yeah.. bye Steve." I said. He drove off and I walked back inside.
      "Looking good, Dustin!" I said, walking passed him.
      Time After Time started to play. I watched as Max and Lucas headed out. Will and another girl went out too. It was just Dustin and Mike. I watched Dustin make his way over to a group of girls.
      The girl rejected him. He tried again with another girl, but they immediately walked away.
      Nancy walked over to him. She asked him to dance. His eyes immediately lit up.
     Shortly after, El walked in. She looked adorable. Mike and El danced together.
     I sat back. Everything was right with the world. Everyone was okay. And that was nice. It was perfect. Everything was perfect.
     I ducked out early. I walked to Steve's house. I knocked on the door and he opened it.
     "Hey." I said. He smiled immediately.
     "You came." He said, letting me in.
     "I did. Everything looked safe enough." I replied. I walked through the door and we walked to his room.
     "Hows that gash healing?" He said.
     "Perfectly fine." I replied, sitting on his bed. He sat next to me, his feet over the edge, but facing me.
     "Maybe I should check it." He said, reaching his hand under my shirt.
      "What? Are you a doctor now?" I asked, sarcastically.
     "Yes, actually. You have to refer to me as 'Doctor Harrington' from now on." He said, laughing.
      I giggled, then laid back. He laid down and propped his head against his arm, facing me. I reached towards his face.
     He leaned down and kissed me. "You know, I'm glad we met, Y/N. You're perfect." He said, stroking my cheek.
     I propped myself up against his headboard. He followed me. He sat rather then laying, leaning towards me. He kissed me again. "You. Are. Perfect." He said again, continuing to kiss me."
     Everything was perfect. Everyone was okay. I reminded myself that the entire night.

      It's easy to get wrapped up in good things. I loved Steve and being with him, but something just felt off. I felt like I should be worrying about something.
      At around 5 am, I woke up. Steve had his arms wrapped around me. I moved his arm and sat up. The feeling was still there.
    "Y/N? Shit what time is it?" He asked. He looked at his clock. "Shit, shit, shit! We need to get you home."
     He dragged me out of bed, and we ran down to his car.
      He started his car and we started driving to my house. It was 5:15 when we arrived. No one was awake.
      "You know, I think it's safe to say we have a good 5... 10 minutes until I need to go in.." I said, leaning towards him.
      "Oh, do we?" He said, grabbing my head as I got in range. I moved my body over the center console to his lap. He laughed. "Are you trying to seduce me, Y/N?" He asked.
      "Of course not! How dare you accuse me of such things." I said, laughing. Steve ran his fingers through my hair.
     "You should really get inside.." he said, kissing me.
     "I should.." I replied as he kissed me again. "But I really just don't want to.." His lips moved down to my neck.
     "I should go too.." he said, suddenly stopping.
      I groaned. "Alright.." I said, kissing him again, then crawling back over. "Goodbye, Steve."
      "Goodbye Y/N." He said. I climbed out of the car and walked in the house.
      Things were good for awhile. Things were easy. They built a mall. Starcourt. Steve got a job. I was okay. Everyone was. All was right with the world.
      And I was getting better at the whole powers thing. El helped me understand.
      Max and Lucas started dating, Billy was still kind of an asshole, and my father was still a big asshole.
      And that was okay. I was okay. And all was good.
     Until Summer.