Chapter 7

When I woke up the next morning, Steve had already left. He did leave a note. 'Off to do my interview with Robin. Wish me luck!' It read.
I smiled. I got ready and Max knocked on my door. "You ready?" She asked.
"Yeah." I replied. We left for the Byers'
El and I finished packing up her room. She had gone to live with the Byers' after Hop died.
I could hear Max and Lucas making fun of Dustin. We finished the last box. I walked out to the front of the house just as Steve pulled in.
"Robin sweet talked the guy into giving me the job." He said as I walked towards him.
"That's great." I said, giving him a hug.
"Have they gotten it all?" He asked.
"There are a few boxes left." I said. "God, I'm going to miss them."
"Yeah.." he replied. We walked in together. We helped carry out the final boxes and put them in the van. Then, it was time to say goodbye.
We all shared hugs, tears, and smiles.
El came over to me and gave me a hug. "You know, I bet the next time I see you, you're going to be even more powerful than you were before." I said. "Just keep trying."
She smiled at me. "You will be too." She replied.
I wiped my face. "I'm going to miss you, Kid." I said.
"I'll miss you too."
Jonathan came over next. "Thank you." I said. "For like, everything you've done."
"It was nothing." He said. I hugged him. "Good luck."
"Good luck to you too." I replied.
Then Joyce came over. She immediately hugged me. "You stay safe here, okay?" She said.
"You be safe there." I replied. "Thank you, Joyce. You've treated me well."
"You're like a daughter. I'll miss you." She said. I smiled.
"I'll miss you too." I replied.
Will came by last. I hugged him. "Bye Will. You be careful, okay?" I said.
"Always." He replied. "Make sure you call me if something happens, okay?"
"Okay." I replied. That was everyone. They all piled up in their cars.
I walked over to Steve. He gave me a hug.
"I'm going to miss them." I told him. "Like, so much." I could feel my eyes start to fill with tears.
"I will too." He replied. We watched as they pulled out.
I watched the kids ride off on their bikes. Steve drove me home. I grabbed my stuff once we got there and said my goodbyes to everyone at the house.
"Hey, you be good. No causing mayhem." I told Max. She smiled.
I hugged Susan, and even my Father. Steve drove me to the airport.
He helped me get my bags out of his trunk.
"This will be good for you, okay?" He said, holding my head. I smiled.
"I know." I replied.
"So where are you staying?" He asked.
"I have a great aunt or something there. Really nice. I'll be okay there."
"Call me daily?"
"Of course."
He kissed my head. "I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too." I said. He handed me my bags.
"I'm serious Y/N, be safe."
"I will be. Goodbye."
"Bye."

Once I got off the plane, I was met by my great aunt Shelley. She took one of my bags and we put everything in her car."
"It's good to see you, Y/N." She said.
"Yeah." I replied.
The next month made things better. Kind of. It was still difficult, but I wasn't around anyone who was there, so I didn't think of it as much.
I made two new friends. They were Aunt Shelley's neighbor's kids.
After my time there was up, I flew back to Hawkins. Susan picked me up and took me home.
      "How was your trip?" She asked.
      "It was good." I replied. "Thank you."
      "Of course."
      I took my things upstairs, and then laid down for a while. After about an hour, I heard tapping on the window. I walked over to it and saw Steve shivering and making a desperate 'let me in' face. I giggled and opened the window.
"Thank you." He said, crawling through. He closed it once he got in.
"Why aren't you wearing a jacket? Idiot!" I said, giving him a blanket.
He hugged me instead of taking it. "God, I missed you. You were gone for a whole month, you know." He said. "Miserable. Hell."
"You're cold. Wrap yourself up in the blanket." I replied. He made sad eyes. "I'm kidding. I missed you too."
I heard stumbling through the hall. "Shh- one minute, hide under my bed." I whispered to him. He managed to get under just as my father knocked on the door.
I opened it. "Yes..?" I said.
He looked shocked. "Uh, I just wanted to uh, make sure that you take the trash out." He stuttered.
"Okay.." I replied. I shut the door.
Steve crawled out. He sat on the bed and patted it.
"Come here. I missed you." He said. I sat next to him and he wrapped his arms around me.
And that was that. Everything was fine. Until it wasn't. About a week later, my father decided he couldn't take it anymore. He packed his bags started to leave.
"So you're just going to leave?" Susan yelled. I was in the kitchen.
"I can't take it anymore, Susan! My son is fucking dead! I can't look at her anymore! It's like he's haunting me or something!" He yelled back. I walked towards them.
"Where the hell are you going?" I asked.
"Away from here! You're too much! I can't look at you anymore! You're a fucking freak! It's a shame you stopped yourself, Y/N! It really is." He yelled.
I stopped in shock. "Then leave! Fucking go! No one needs you here! Leave!" I yelled. I watched Susan and Max walk out of the area.
"That's the plan!" He yelled back. "Oh, one parting gift before I go," he said. He picked a beer bottle up and threw it at me. I stopped it.
It floated in the air, I redirected it at him.
"Leave." I repeated. He couldn't get out fast enough.
Steve came over that night, shocked to find out about the news.
He held me yet again. He made things okay. He even helped us move out. We had to downgrade to a trailer, which wasn't too bad. Just not as spacious.
Things started to get better.
Chrissy and I hung out, but one day she started acting off. We hadn't spoken in a month. That takes us to around Spring break.
I woke up in a cold sweat. I had dreamt of children. Children like me and El. They were massacred. I couldn't make out faces. Not that I would have remembered it anyways.
I took a shower and got ready. Steve honked his horn.
I ran out the door and got in his car. We picked Robin up. I sat in the back. I listened to their discussion about Robin's newest crush. Her name was Vicky.
They yelled on and on.
When we got there, Steve helped me out. I saw Ms. Kelly as I walked in.
I tried to avoid eye contact. I hadn't gone to a counseling session for a while.
"Y/N!" She yelled. I turned around and faced her.
"I know you've been avoiding me." She said. "Listen, we really need to get this sorted out, okay? Come by after the day is over." She said. "You need to talk to me."
"Yeah.. I know." I replied. I walked off and walked into the gym. There was a pep rally.
It started off with a cheer routine. Chrissy did amazing, as always. The band played throughout the routine.
When it was done, the basketball team came out. I didn't care much, until Jason started speaking about the ones we've lost.
"It's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss. And sometimes I wonder, 'How much loss can one community take?'" He said. "In dark days like this, we need something to believe in. So last night, when we were down by ten points at half to Christian Academy," This guy liked to talk. "I looked at my team, and I said, think of Jack. Think of Melissa." I could see heads bowing as each name was said. "Think of Heather." It was coming soon. "Think of Billy." There it was. I looked down too. Mostly just to hide the slight embarrassment when people looked at me and Max, but also, I felt my eyes watering. "Think about our heroic police chief, Jim Hopper. Think about each and every one of our friends who perished in that fire. What did they die for?"
I stopped listening again. I knew what they died for. I made my way out of the crowd and into the bathroom. I slammed the stall door and leaned against the wall.
They were using Billy as motivation for some stupid game. As if his death was just for them. He should be used for destroying the Upside down. For saving people. Not some stupid game. I felt my cheeks. They were hot and wet.
I heard the door open. I saw white shoes. "Y/N..?" I recognized the voice to be Chrissy. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah.." my voice sounded hoarse and awful.
"Can you open the door?" She asked. I did. She gave me a hug. "I'm sorry." She said. "Sorry for not being there as much as I should have. I'm so sorry.."
"It's okay." I replied. "I'll be okay." I told her.
"I know you will. You're strong like that." She replied. "Come on, let's go to class." She said.
The day continued on. She left a little bit before lunch.
That takes us to after school. Yay.
I walked in to Ms. Kelly's office.
"Hi! Come sit." She said, putting someone's file away.
I sat down.
"So, let's talk. How have you been?" She asked.
"Fine, I guess." I replied.
"Good, good. And how has Susan been?"
"Fine. I mean the new place is kinda.. crappy, and uh she hates it, but she's fine."
"Is she still drinking?"
"Yeah, a little. I mean you know, she's supporting Max like all on her own so it's hard."
"It must be hard for you too. I mean, your father left all three of you. Not just Susan."
"My dad was a narcissist. I hate him." I told her. I lied. Yes, my father was an asshole in every way possible, but he was still my father. "We're better off without him."
"Are you sleeping better? No more dreams of Billy?" She asked.
"Yeah. Fine." I answered quickly.
"So no more nightmares? Migraines?"
I imagined what I've been seeing the passed few nights. Starting with Billy's death, then him trying to harm me because I failed to save him.
"No." I replied. "No more." I could still see the light leaving his eyes.
"Y/N?" She said, pulling me through what I was seeing. "What you've been through this passed year, is a lot. It's a lot for anyone, including you. Your life has been a lot."
"I'm fine." I said, tapping my foot.
"It's okay to not be fine. Trust me, I want to help you. But I can't unless you're truthful."
"I know. I'm being truthful. I'm fine."
She gave me a look of disbelief.
"I am. Look, I have to go." I said. "Thanks."
"I'll see you soon?" She asked.
"Yeah." I said, standing up and walking out.
I speed walked to the nearest bathroom. I could feel him watching me. I have felt him watching me for so long.
I didn't want to see him. I stood in front of a mirror and refused to look up. I rinsed my face off.
I heard the bathroom door shut. I looked up. Billy. I turned around.
"Y/N, there you are." He said.
"Billy.." I said. I started walking towards the door, but he threw me against the wall.
"You let me die. You watched as it pierced my skin, and you did nothing."
"I tried.. I'm sorry." I told him. He vanished. The door opened.
It slammed into me. "Ow-" I grumbled.
"Oh God- Sorry." A girl said. I ran out the door.
I had no ride. Steve was working. I didn't know if I actually wanted to go home.
I took my skateboard off my bag and grabbed my headphones and walkman cassette player. I strapped it to my jeans and rode off listening to 'Video Killed the Radio Star' by the Buggles.
I decided to head back for the Championship game. I walked in in the middle of Tammy Thompson's performance of 'The Star Spangled Banner.'
I made my way up to Steve. I sat next to him.
"Hey." He said. I nodded. As I watched, I saw Billy on the other side of the room. I let out a soft gasp. "You okay?" He asked.
I nodded again. Billy made a weird smile. He looked the same he did that night. I looked away from him and down at my lap. Steve grabbed my wrist. I looked at him.
Everyone suddenly jumped up in applause. We had won. Steve joined them.
Steve helped me down the stairs, then we walked out together. He opened the car door and closed it once I got in. I looked behind the car where he was walking. Billy yet again.
I whipped my body around as Steve got in the car. Billy was gone.
"You okay?" Steve asked. "You've been doing this a lot recently. Acting.. off. Like you're scared."
I turned back around in my seat. "I'm fine." I replied.
"If you say so.." he said, driving off.
Once we arrived at the trailer, he turned the car off. He put his hand on my thigh. "Hey, you know if you're having problems, you can tell me. You did to through a lot that night.. I wouldn't call you crazy if you weren't okay."
"I promise you, I'm okay." I replied. I kissed him quickly then ran inside. Once I got inside, I turned the TV off. Susan was passed out on the couch.
I walked back to where Max and I slept. Max was out cold. I fell asleep shortly after laying down.
The nightmare that night was worse than the rest. I watched Chrissy die that time. Billy accompanied her in death. Billy was reaching his hand out to me.
Billy was sometimes comforting in these dreams. Sometimes he'd tell me it was time to join him. But then it turned sour. I watched bugs come out of his eyes, and suddenly, he was being pierced yet again. I jumped awake to hear sirens. I walked out the front door.
Susan and Max followed.
"Looks like the Munson boy is up to no good again." Susan said, walking back inside.
Max and I walked towards the trailer. The door was open, and that's when I saw her. Chrissy. She was lying on the floor. Dead.
A cop stopped us. He instructed us to get back inside. I ran in and got dressed. Then I grabbed my skateboard and went skated to Family Video.
I ran in. "Steve!" I yelled out. "Steve!"
He ran over to me. I was panting. "What? What? What?" He replied. The news said something about a Hawkins High student.
"Chrissy!" I yelled out. My knees unlocked themselves and I went down to the ground. "Chrissy. Chrissy is dead." I said. Steve wrapped his arms around me. "At the Munsons'. I saw her body."
"It's okay.. we'll figure out what happened, okay?" He said.
"Oh, God.." I said. "God no.. she was in my dream. Steve, I watched her die in my dream."
"We'll find out what happened."
I sat on the counter, explaining what happened.
That's when Max and Dustin ran in. "Hey, Steve!" Dustin called out. We all looked at him. "How many phones do you have?"
"Chrissy was murdered." He said.
"How many phones do you have?" He asked again.
"Two, why?" Steve replied.
"Technically three, if you count Keith's" Robin added.
Dustin threw is bag over the counter and slid over it.
"Dude! Not my tapes!" Steve yelled. I got off the counter and stood by Steve. "What are you doing, man?"
"Setting up base of operations here." Dustin said, typing something on the computer.
"Base of operations?" I asked.
"Get off." Steve instructed.
"I need it!" Dustin replied.
"For what?"
"Eddie's friends' phone numbers."
"Oh, Eddie. Your new best friend you think is cooler because he plays your nerdy game?"
"Eddie yes. Wait I never said that."
I walked off slightly. At least out of the counter. When I looked out the window, I saw Chrissy and Billy.
I backed up against a wall. I sat on the floor. They were just staring at me. Chrissy was crying. I couldn't watch any longer.
      I watched them all make phone calls. Steve continued working.
      "Hey, I have a lead." Max said. "Reefer Rick. It's his drug dealer."
      They continued to talk amongst themselves. I finally stood up and walked to the window. They were looking in.
      "Hey! Y/N. Let's go." Steve said. "We found the guy."
      We all ran out to Steve's car and got in. It was dark by the time we got to Reefer Rick's house. Dustin rang the doorbell about 100 times. He yelled out for Eddie.
      I wandered off, following Chrissy who wouldn't leave me alone. I saw a barn.
      "Hey! Guys?" I called. They walked over to me and we walked down together.
      Chrissy vanished as Max walked through her. We walked in.
      "What a dump." Steve said. He grabbed an oar and started poking at a tarp.
      "Don't worry, Steve will get him with his oar." Dustin said.
      "Considering everyone in this room has nearly died a hundred times, I don't find that funny." Steve replied.
      Suddenly, Steve was jumped. Eddie pinned him against a wall with a broken bottle to his neck.
       I didn't think, I just grabbed. With my powers. A brick started levitating.
       "Wait! Wait!" Dustin yelled. "Eddie! Stop!"
      "Y/N, maybe you should put the brick down." Robin said.
      "Not until he puts the bottle down." I replied.
      "Stop!" Dustin yelled again. "Eddie! It's me! It's Dustin. This is Steve. He's not going to hurt you, right, Steve?"
      "Right. Yeah." Steve replied.
      "And neither will Y/N." Dustin said.
      "I'm debating it." I whispered.
      "Steve, why don't you drop the oar. And Y/N, put the brick down." Dustin said.
       Steve immediately dropped his oar. I started to lower the brick. Just as I did that, Eddie threatened to hurt Steve yet again. I lifted it back up.
       "He's cool! He's cool." Dustin said.
      "What are you doing here?" He asked.
      "We're looking for you." Dustin replied.
      "We're here to help." Robin said.
      "Eddie, these are my friends. You know Robin, from band." Dustin introduced them. Robin imitated her playing her instrument. "This is my friend Max. The one who never want's to play D&D." Max waved. "And this is Y/N. She's Billy's sister, and my friend."
      He looked at me. The brick was kind of out of the way so he couldn't see it, so he didn't freak out. He must have thought I put the brick down. I waved.
      "Eddie, we're on your side." Dustin told him. "I swear on my mother."
      "Yes, yes. We swear." Max said.
      "On Dustin's mother." Robin chimed in.
      "Yeah, Dustin's mother." Steve said.
      Eddie looked at Steve, then finally released him. I finally let the brick down gently, then wiped the blood off of my nose. Steve crawled over and sat down. I crouched next to him, making sure he was okay.
      "Eddie... we just want to talk." Dustin told him.