Chapter 4

"Y/N! Get down here!" My father yelled. "You need to apologize to Susan!"
      It just slipped out. I felt awful. Susan told me it was fine after I apologized the first time, that she understood why I said it, but my father couldn't comprehend that.
      He busted my door open. "Goddamn it! You're so infuriating! Both you and your brother! Useless pieces of shits!" He was in my face again. I felt his spit fly on my face.
      "Get away from me!" I yelled at him. I tried to walk away from him. He grabbed my arm and threw me on the wall. He held me by my shirt collar against it. I felt a drip of blood go down my neck.
     "Say it. Like you mean it."  He said. Susan was in the doorway.
      "I'm sorry, Susan." I said, looking at my father.
     He slammed me against it again. "Look at her face and say it." He instructed.
     I looked at Susan. "I'm sorry, Susan." I said again. I really did mean it, but my father made it difficult to show sympathy. My father let me go.
     "Good." He said, turning away from me. "Pick this shit up. It's a mess in here." He said as he slammed the door.
     I felt the back of my head. There was a decent amount of blood. It's a miracle I hadn't gotten a concussion. I threw on a hat and shoes, locked my door and climbed out my window with my backpack and skateboard.
     I skated to the mall. Once I arrived, I put it on my backpack, then walked to Steve's workplace. Scoops Ahoy.
      "Looking good Captain Steve!" I said walking in.
      "Hey!" He said. "Come on back." I walked into the back of the store and he followed.
      "Hey Robin." I said as I walked in.
      "Hey Y/N."  She said. "I'll watch the counter."
      She walked out of the room.
      "Alright, let me see." He said. I looked at him confused.
      "You're making the face you make when you're in pain, but don't want to show it." He said. "Now let me see." I took my hat off. "Shit, head injury?"
      He walked over and inspected my head. "Goddammit Y/N. Let me clean this up." He grabbed a towel and wet it down. He set the wet towel on my head. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked me.
     "I just accidentally said something to Susan. I apologized, it just didn't seem sincere enough." I explained.
     He took the cloth off and dabbed it on different spots of the towel. "It's clean now." He said, turning me around. "You should just move in with me Y/N. It's not good there."
     "I need to be there for Max. Maybe then it'll be okay.. but not now. I can't leave her alone there." I said.
     He kissed my head. "You have a good heart, Y/N, but sometimes it's important to remember, you need to look after yourself. I got to get back to work, do you want to just hang out for a bit?" He asked.
"Hey dingus! Your children are here." Robin called out.
     "Sure." I said, laughing. He turned around to open the window.
"Again?" He asked. "Seriously?" A bell dinged in response.
The kids came back. "Hey Y/N." Max said walking passed me. I smiled at her.
"Hey Max." I responded. "And Mike, and Lucas, and Will." Steve opened the door to the back hallway.
"Come on, come on." He ushered them. "I swear, if anybody hears about this-"
"We're dead!" They all finished his sentence. He rolled his eyes and walked back into the room, then headed for the door to the front.
"Steve-?" He stopped and looked at me. "Thank you."
     He smiled. "I love you." He said. He walked out the door.
The minute he walked out the door, the power went out.
"Uh... Steve?" I called out. I heard the light switch going up and down.
"That isn't gonna work, dingus." I heard Robin say through the wall.
"Oh really?" He replied, switching it again. Then he started flipping it faster.
I sat in the darkness, waiting for the power to turn back on.
Then it did. Steve flipped the switch as it turned back on.
"Let there be light." He said.

   "Hey, you ready to go?" He asked, about an hour or so later. I nodded. "Are you feeling okay? I can get you some ice cream if you want."
     "That sounds nice." I said "Mint chocolate chip."
     "Alright." He walked out and came back in with a cup of ice cream. "Robin's gonna close up for me. Let's go." He said.
     We walked out the back exit. He carried my backpack for me so I could eat my ice cream. I finished it before we reached the door. I threw the cup out and Steve grabbed my hand.
     "Wait here, I'll grab the car." He said. I sat on a bench looking at the ground. I wasn't going to tell Steve, but my head was pounding.
      Steve pulled up in the car and I took my head out of my hands and stood up. He opened the car door and I got in.
      "Where are we going?" I asked.
      "My place." He said, looking at me. I didn't notice at first. My head was in my hands again. "You okay?" He asked.
       I looked up and nodded. He took his right hand and placed it on the back of my head, then my neck. He took his hand back and continued driving with both hands.
        He pulled in to his driveway, then we got out. He grabbed my bag and my hand and we walked in his house then in his room. He set the bag down in a corner.
       "Sit down. It's bothering you isn't it?" He asked. I nodded. "Dammit.." he said. "Let me grab you some stuff."
      He walked out of the room and came back 5 minutes later with a pain pill, a glass of water and an ice pack.
      "Here." He said, handing me both the glass and pill. I took the pill and he placed the ice pack on my head.
      "I'm sorry, Steve." I told him.
      "For what?" He asked. He sat next to me, holding the ice pack to my head.
       "Being a burden." I replied. I laid my head on his shoulder and he took the ice pack off.
       "You will never be a burden." He said. "Ever. It's impossible." He smiled.
       "Okay.." I said.
       I stayed the night. He took me home early that morning. I climbed through my window like normal and he drove off. But unlike normal, my father was in my room.
       "What the hell, Y/N? Where have you been? Who the hell was that?" He asked.
       "I was just at Nancy's house." I said. "I didn't think you'd mind.."
       "You don't do that. You ask permission to leave this house. Do you understand me?" He said.
       "Yes sir." I replied.
       "Good. Now go get ready for school." He said.
       It was Summer. I didn't have school. But I wasn't going to tell him that. I could go somewhere else.
       I decided to just go see the party. Dustin was supposed to come home today, so they were planning on going over to his house.
Max and I skated to Mike's house. We headed over to Dustin's house.
The plan was, El and I would use our powers to make all his toys come to life. He'd be freaked out, then we'd scare him.
When Dustin arrived, he set his bag down and El initiated it.
I joined in shortly after. Causing things to walk or roll past him and out the door. He followed. We made them go down the hall. We hid behind another wall. Then stopped them when they got to the living room. We snuck out with a sign and blow thingys that make noise.
We blew them, and he screamed, turned around and shot Lucas with hairspray right in the eyes.
Max and I bursted out laughing. I wiped my nose to get the blood off.
Max and Lucas went off to get the hairspray out of his eyes.
Dustin was showing us his nerdy little power windmill. He then showed us "the Slammer."
Then, he showed us his masterpiece. Cerebro. It was basically a walkie talkie that could reach 'north pole to south'
"I can talk to my girlfriend over this thing!" He said.
"Girlfriend?" We all asked.
"Her names Suzie." He explained while we walked out of his room with Cerebro. "She's from Utah."
"Girls go to science camp?" Will asked.
"Suzie does. She's a genius. Think Phoebe Cates, only hotter."
"What's going on?" Max asked as we passed her and Lucas.
"We're going to go talk to Dustin's girlfriend." Mike told them.
"Girlfriend?" They both said. They followed us out the door.
We marched up a hill to get high up.
"Normally people have telephones." Max said.
"Yeah, but Suzie's Mormon." Dustin explained.
"Oh, they don't have telephones." Lucas said.
"No, that's the amish." Max said.
"What are Mormons?" Will asked.
"Super religious white people." Dustin answered. "They have electricity and cars and stuff, but since I'm not Mormon, her parents won't approve. It's all a bit.. Shakespearean. Like Romeo and Juliet."
"Right.." I replied.
"Star crossed lovers."
"I got it."
Mike and El ended up bailing.
"Bullshit." Dustin said "well, their loss. Let's go." We continued to walk up. Except for Will. He looked.. scared.
"Will! Come on." Dustin yelled.
Dustin dropped his stuff once we reached the top. We all drank our water and helped Dustin set up.
Dustin tried to reach Suzie. He failed.
       After a while, I headed home. Will, Max, and Lucas were going to stay a short while longer.