Two

The Whistledown papers had become a popular source of debate throughout the ton in the time following the presentations. Poppy and Penelope were no exception.

They met in Penelope's room to discuss. Far away from the judgemental eyes and ears of their family.

"I believe her to be quite intelligent and brave."

Poppy said to her sister. The two were basking in sunlight coming through the windows.

Penelope smiled,

"Do you?"

"Oh yes. To be naming people without a care." She shook her head in disbelief. "I wonder who she is, I would believe it to be Lady Danbury but I rather think she would be forthcoming with her thoughts."

"I feel that her anonymity adds to the wonder of the column."

"Perhaps." Poppy trailed off in thought before going back to the column where she giggled slightly, "What a laugh, she is taking aim at the Bridgerton names." She brought the paper down to her lap. "To be honest I have always found the order to be quite cute."

"Sister, you believe everything to be cute."

"Not everything. I do not believe that our sisters are."

This drew a soft laugh out of Penelope.

"That may just be the most devious thing I have heard come from your mouth."

"Hush you." She turned back to the papers, "Oh, look at this, Daphne has been named the diamond."Poppy brought her head over to look at her baby sister. "We must go see her soon with our congratulations."

"Is that the only reason you wish to be going over to the Bridgertons?"

"What do you mean?"

Penelope grabbed the pamphlet from her sister,

"Well right here. After the section where we are insulted, Lady Whistledown reports that you were seen talking rather closely to a certain third brother."

Poppy cleared her throat,

"I do not know what you are talking about."

"Do you not? Because I believe I had bared witness to that interaction as well-"

"-I believe that we must head down to mama, she is to be entertaining Lady Cowper."

Penelope laughed as Poppy took her sister's hand in her own and pulled her down the stairs. They settled in the corner of the room, each with a book in hand.

After several peaceful minutes filled with revolutionary women, Poppy was interrupted by her mother.

"...Poppy! Penelope! Put those books down at once. You shall confuse your thoughts."

Penelope glanced over at Poppy who stuck her tongue out a little, causing the young woman to laugh. Her eyes then trailed over to her other sisters, studying the tiny portraits. She sighed at the circumstances they were all placed in and went back to her reading.

Poppy on the other hand had tuned into her mama's conversation, watching as Lady Cowper rolled her eyes at the Featherington children before turning to the Lady of the house.

"So, tell me about this cousin, joining you for the entire season?"

"She is a distant cousin of my husband. With no close female relative to sponsor her debut, Lord Featherington directed me to take her in. For charity."

"You are known to be quite charitable."

Poppy began to laugh quietly and her mama sent her a sharp glare while Penelope shoved her sister's side.