Four

Poppy was lying on a chair in her family's drawing room shovelling a pastry into her mouth with her eyes glued to a book about the Trojan war. She was developing her list of places and things for Colin to do on his trip.

"Agh." Poppy began to choke on her food when Penelope jabbed her in the stomach with her pointy elbows.

She quickly looked up at Penelope with a sharp glare. Her sister gave her a look and pointed towards the door where a footman stood. Poppy's eyes widened in shock and she took another big bite.

"Callers, ma'am. The Earl of Stafford and the Marquess of Finley."

Poppy promptly choked on her pastry again, not expecting any men to come and she wasn't the only Featherington in disbelief. Her mother gaped slightly before eventually speaking,

"My word. Well you should have my colourful fashions to thank-"

Poppy's face scrunched up and luckily before she could protest and get herself into trouble the footman began to speak again,

"For a Miss Marina Thompson."

Poppy couldn't help it and let out a snort, but her mother was so upset that she got away with it. However, Penelope did let out a few giggles as well. Poppy sent Marina a quick smile of support. Her mama had prevented her from speaking to the young woman yet but Poppy had plans to talk to her. She wanted to let her know that not everyone in the Featherington family were complete assholes.

Also, lately Poppy had noticed that she really liked it when her mother was proven wrong and Marina Thompson's presence was helping that occur a lot lately.

Dearest reader. This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news...

Jumping out of her seat and quickly to the door Poppy ran to get the latest Lady Whistledown paper, Penelope was swift in joining her.

It seems the purported diamond of 1813 requires a closer inspection...

They walked back into the sitting room with their faces stuck into the papers. Poppy looked over to Marina who was surrounded by gentlemen with flowers and candy. Her eyes popped out at the sight of a puppy, and Poppy started plotting a dognapping. If she could get a puppy maybe she would start trying to get a suitor.

And an even rarer jewel – of only the most remarkable brilliance, fore and luster – has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson.

Looking up Marina connected eyes with Poppy who slowly motioned her head to the puppy with raised eyebrows. Marina shook her head at Poppy with sparkling eyes. Poppy sent her a pleading face with her bottom lip jutted out. Marina only let out an angelic laugh and shook her head again. Poppy scrunched her nose up in response. The dognapping scheme was back on.

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton...

Dropping onto a couch across from Marina and the men, Poppy made eye contact with the puppy, her face concentrated as she tried to will the little dog to her. If the puppy was a boy she was going to name him Arthur if the puppy was a girl she'd name her Harriet.

For we all must know what the Queen despises more than anything: being wrong.

Casually Poppy reached over to the pastries and began to 'subtly' wave it in the air, to entice the dog.

The little puppy began to wiggle in the man's arm.

Almost, almost.

The stupid guy's arms tighten around the dog.