Five

It has reached my ears that the betting books at White's propose the most fascinating of pairings this season...

Bartholomew Waverly was a tall handsome man with pitch-black hair and hazel eyes. Hazel eyes that glowed when he made Marina Thompson laugh. Her laughter made him feel special, something he was desperate for.

His father, Baron Thomas Waverley, was cold to everyone, Bart didn't think he even possessed a soul. The only person the Baron paid attention to was his eldest child Gale and that was only because he was to take over the land once Thomas passed.

Then there was Bart's mother who had died after the birth of his twin siblings Sebastian and Julia when he was ten.

The twins were only 11 and Gale was too busy being the heir to a Baron to pay any attention to them leaving Bart to be the one raising them.

Bart loved his baby siblings but he had always wished someone was there to raise him, and pay attention to him. So he could be a normal 21-year-old. So when he met Marina he saw stars, she was beautiful, desirable, and seemed to be choosing him out of all the men.

He believed himself to be happy.

Penelope on the other hand was not.

She sat on the floor next to Poppy and Colin trying to teach the Puppy Arthur some tricks. She sat back and listened as her sister and friend fawned over the dog and each other while watching Bart and Marina talk, rolling her eyes and scoffing at the situation.

Penelope had always liked Bart, she would watch the way he interacted with his siblings, saw the love he gave, and knew what he deserved, and yet she was sitting on the floor listening to her older sister pretend to not be infatuated with an obviously smitten Bridgerton.

Hearing Penelope's scoff Poppy pried her eyes away from Arthur.

"Are you alright Pen?"

"Hmm?" Penelope's eyes widened, "Oh, yes. Actually, I believe I forgot something in my room. I'll be back in just a few moments."

Penelope got up and quickly walked out of the room.

"Oh, um. Bye!"

Poppy called after her retreating sister.

Colin cleared his throat to gain the woman's attention.

"You seem to be taken with this dog."

"His name is Arthur and I will die for him."

"That seems a bit dramatic."

"It was not dramatic enough."

"Then I shall die for him as well."

Poppy laughed,

"Now that is dramatic."

"Well, I would die for you. So it only makes sense that I would die for Arthur."

Poppy looked down with a blush and Colin brought his hand to hover over hers and paused for a moment staring at their hands before placing his own hand down. He looked up and their eyes clashed.

"I take back what I said before that was dramatic. You are a dramatic man, Colin Bridgerton."

"Well, I grew up next to you, it's a product of osmosis."

Letting out a loud gasp Poppy brought her free hand to her chest.

"Me!"

The two of them broke out in uncontrollable laughter gaining the attention of Bart and Marina who stared at their friends in confusion.