Six

Poppy was sat between Colin and Gregory across from Eloise. Hyacinth was sitting next to Eloise and was leaning over her older sister while talking to Poppy. Eloise was attempting to push the younger girl off of her.

"Do you mind?"

"I do actually. Let's change seats."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

Colin moved closer to Poppy, whispering.

"I believe you have started a fight."

"It is simply because of my charming personality."

"Oh, I was going to say it was your combative personality influencing the children."

She narrowed her eyes and lightly kicked him under the table, he jumped in his seat unhurt but shocked, glaring at her but she simpered innocently at the man.

The commotion they caused had the entire table looking at them, halting any conversations or arguments.

"Are you alright dear?" Violet asked concerned

Poppy smiled innocently at Violet,

"Oh yes, I must apologise Lady Bridgerton. I had pointed out a spider to Colin forgetting he was afraid of them."

Colin sent her a glare and pinched her side and she flinched away batting at his hand.

"A spider?" Violet was watching the two in amused confusion.

"Yes, but don't worry, I took care of it for Colin. I would never want him too scared to eat." She grabbed his hand quickly to keep him from pinching her again. "Although now that I think of it, that may not be something I need to worry about considering his ravenous nature."

He whipped his head over to her and attempted to take his hand back but she darted her other hand over and held it in place on her lap.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"That you are rarely seen without a pastry in your hand."

Everyone at the table was watching them and laughed at Poppy's words.

"Well you are one to talk."

Poppy gasped in overdramatic,

"I don't know what you mean."

The rest of the Bridgertons and Simon decided to ignore the rest of the two's interaction and turned to their own conversations.

Colin and Poppy however continued to be immersed in each other. His expression morphed into a devilishly handsome and evil smirk.

"Well, you would if you were not hold-"

Poppy quickly shushed him after eyeing Hyacinth who was sneaking glances at them. She had squeezed Colin's hand and glared at him, their eyes boring into each other with a playful challenge.

This, for a reason that Colin felt he would never know the true answer, caused his heart to skip a beat. Maybe it was because her mama allowed her to dress in a colour that complimented her skin and figure, making her glow ethereally. Or maybe it was because her eyes were directly on him and he just knew that she could see into his soul, that their feelings were the same, that he had a chance.

But then. Well then his idiotic brother interupted them before Colin could get his answer.

Anthony had moved his arm around Gregory's shoulder and poked Poppy in the arm.