Chapter 2

982 A.D.

I met evil when I was only a child.

Two full winters have come and passed; you could see two women squabbling in a hut with a babe lying in a basket with wolves' skin wrapped around him.

"Why have you come, Esther?"

"Ayana, my dear friend, I need your help."

"What do you need?"

"A spell to bind someone's heritage."

"You couldn't possibly mean—"

"Yes, I plan to bind that thing's monstrous side."

"Esther, what you are planning is wrong; if you do this, you will damn your child for the rest of your life."

"Ayana, you do not understand; you don't have to deal with those cold glacier-blue eyes always watching me. You don't see the evilness that lurks inside of them. You cannot feel the darkness within that thing's heart!"

"That so-called thing is a child! A babe who is barely three winters old! He is your child!"

"That thing is a monster!"

"This is a mistake, Esther! I will not help you to bind Niklaus's werewolf side."

"Then I will leave; I do not need your help anyway."

Esther took Niklaus and stormed out of Ayana's hut towards the opening, where a lake reflected the starless night. She looked at the sky to see the full moon at its peak. She already had the ingredients she needed for this spell. She had the blood of a werewolf, a moonstone, and the blood of a doppelgänger. She created a ring of fire around Niklaus. In a bone bowl lay the moonstone, where she started to pour salt; next was the werewolf blood, and finally, the doppelgänger's blood. All she had to do now was cast the spell, and then she began to chant.

"Anima Marcam. Iskoristi Vuka. Anima Marcam. Iskoristi Vuka. Anima Marcam. Iskoristi Vuka." You could see the blood in the bowl catch fire and hear the sizzling of it. Niklaus began to scream and cry as if he were in pain. He wiggled as if he was trying to escape what was happening.

The fire vanished within a wave of a hand, and the chanting stopped. She watched as Niklaus's eyes shifted from gold back to those glacier blues that frightened her. Knowing the spell worked, she breathed relief before grabbing Niklaus and the moonstone again to head back to her hut, where her family awaited her.

When she arrived at the hut, Mikael greeted her and told her that Finn and Elijah had already fallen asleep. They looked down at Niklaus, wondering what to do with the babe.

"We could give him up as the next sacrifice to the gods," Mikael murmured. Esther thought about the idea; they would finally be freed from this monster before she nodded.

However, before they could do anything, they heard a chilling laughter echo through the darkness. Mikael blanched, knowing the laughter he had heard two winters ago when he begged that person to help his wife and this monster survive. Esther searched wildly, trying to discover where the noise had come from.

"Well, isn't this just perfect? Hello, Mikael, Esther, and I believe Niklaus. Am I wrong? Never mind that for now, what am I hearing about offering this babe to be sacrificed for your gods? Didn't you both beg me to save your life and this babe, but now you are trying to kill it?"

"It's you," Esther stuttered as she saw a male standing at 6'5" in a silver long-sleeve tunic that reached his thighs with grey leggings underneath tucked into dark grey boots that reached his knees. His long platinum hair moved slightly due to the breeze, and his hands were clasped behind his back. His grey-blue eyes were cold and calculating, and his pale skin shone underneath the moon.

"Why, yes, it is me. Now, Mikael, I have come to collect on that debt." The male snarked while tilting his head to the side to get a better look at the babe.

The couple stared at him, still stunned by his sudden appearance, and continued to study him warily. They watched as he gracefully walked closer to Niklaus and saw his head turned to the side a little where they could see the tips of his ears pointed. Mikael grimaced, "What have you come to collect as your part of the deal?"

"Ah, ah, ah, I wouldn't use that tone with me, Mikael. That sounded like a demand; I don't take kindly to demands." The male sharply grinned at the couple.

Esther grasped Mikael's bicep, her nails piercing his skin in fright as she felt the aura around the man turn cold and deadly. She slightly tugged Mikael's arm, making him face her. She gave him a pleading look to comply with whatever this man demanded from them. She turned back towards the male and smiled, but if you look closely, you can see its tightness. "I apologize for my husband's behavior and attitude towards you; um, I am sorry I don't quite know your name."

The male's eyes flickered up towards Esther, where she stood, and smirked, "Of course, you do not know my name, for I never mentioned it. I will take this child as my payment."

Mikael and Esther stumbled backward in bewilderment at the man's claim, "You want Niklaus?"

The male's eyes twinkled at their reaction, "Indeed, if you plan on having him killed, I might as well take him since you do not want nor love him. I didn't waste my time to save him just for him to be killed. That is just a waste."

The couple side-eyed each other before nodding at the man; they turned their back to him, thinking everything was done and finished until he spoke again, "However, before I let you both go, I will warn you now. He is now my child; I claim him as my son, so if any harm were to fall upon him, I will seek retribution, and there will be nowhere in this world or next that you can hide from me. If you so try, I will drag you back here and torture you to the point where you know nothing but pain. Do I make myself clear?"

Mikael and Esther feel their blood freeze at the man's claim on his new son. They faced him once more and nodded their heads in agreement.

The male stood up to his full height and slowly stalked over towards the couple to tower over them, "I want to hear you say you understand, Mikael, Esther because if you do not, I will slaughter everything you care for at this very moment. I stalk into your home and murder Finn and Elijah. I will make sure you hear their screams in the night so they can haunt you every time you dream, knowing you failed to keep them safe. So I will ask again, do you understand?" He hissed.

"We...we understand..." Mikael and Esther uttered as they shivered, feeling the cold sweat drip down their face.

"Wonderful," the male spoke callously as he turned towards Niklaus, where he grabbed him and disappeared into the darkness.