Chapter 8

He saved me. Again. And again. And Again.

When Jhaeros arrived, a solemn air floated around him, and Solas was immediately on guard. His father never had this melancholy or solemn air flowing around him. He could see a slight redness around his father's eyes, which made him feel worse. He wondered, 'What could have made Ada cry? Ada never shows his emotions unless it involves me. Did I cause this? Am I the reason?'

Solas's thoughts were cut off by his father, "No, Solas, it's not your fault." Jhaeros explained; he looked toward his father, wondering what he meant.

Jhaeros slid the deer off his shoulder and used his magic to start prepping it for dinner as he sat across from Solas and the other male. He inhaled and exhaled briefly, "Solas, what I am about to tell you will change your perspective of many things. I will not blame you for how you feel afterward once it is done. All I ask is for you to hear me out before you do anything rash, please." He pleaded softly

Solas looked at his father and examined him. He could see his father's body language, how it opened but closed off as if his father was scared of something. He could see a hidden sorrow lurking in his father's eyes before deciding it would be best to hear what was weighing on his father's soul.

"Five and ten winters ago, a man searched in the woods with his men for a creature that was said to be extremely powerful but very cunning. This creature was no ordinary person, oh no, for this creature had long walked the lands of this world before human beings existed. There were once many of his kind; however, others feared them and hunted them down until he was the last one left alive. This creature was cruel and heartless, for he served no one but himself. He enjoyed seeing the beings around him fail to survive in this harsh world. The man did not find this creature until the moon was at its peak, and he came across the creature's territory. The creature shot an arrow at him in a warning and asked the man why he had come searching for him. The man told the creature that his wife was pregnant with their third-born, and he was due to come, but there were some complications. His wife pleaded with him to search out the creature with long silverly platinum hair." Jhaeros paused in his story to see his son's reaction.

Solas listened quietly to the story being told; when he heard of the creature, he couldn't help but feel bad for it. Being the last of his kind must have caused him to become cruel to survive. But when his father mentioned platinum hair, he felt like an old memory had resurfaced from when he was a babe. It was the memory of when he first saw his father; he remembered his father saying he would care and love him and that no one would ever harm him again. He remembered playing with his father's long hair and pulling at his ears. His eyes widened and shot up in a way that made him wonder if this was connected to the story his father was telling him.

"Judging from your expression, my Solas, you pieced something together. Yes, I am the creature in this story." Jhaeros spoke softly and smiled sadly before continuing, "The creature asked the man why he should help him and his wife. The man said he would give the creature anything. This piqued the creature's interest, and he asked, 'Anything you say?' The man said he would make an oath to his gods to prove his words were honest. The creature laughed but told the man to be careful because this would be no ordinary deal, for this deal would come at a hefty price if one did not keep his word. The creature told the man that he would slaughter the man's family if he broke his vow. The man hesitated before going through with his vow. The creature helped the man, the man's wife, and the newborn son survive the labors. However, the family wouldn't see the creature until two winters had passed to come and collect what was due to him."

Solas felt the hair on the back of his neck rise as he wondered, 'Was he the babe in the story?' 'Does that mean Jhaeros is not his real father?' 'Was he stolen from his family?' 'Has his whole life been a lie?'