Chapter 4

986 A.D.

Species Decipit — The first appearance deceives many.

Four winters have passed since the day Jhaeros claimed Solas as his son and performed a ritual for his blood to run through his veins, making Solas half-elf and half-a child of the moon. Jhaeros erased any blood ties Solas had to Esther and Mikael, making it impossible for them to claim him as their son. As time passed and seasons changed, Jhaeros let his mind wander over the memories he'd created with Solas, from his first words to when he began running. Bringing them to now, Jhaeros was teaching Solas how to hold and shoot a bow and arrow. He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a twig snap; Jhaeros immediately walked closer to Solas and lowered the boy's weapon.

Solas turned to his ada, asking a question by tilting his head, wondering why his weapon was being lowered when they heard a noise. It wasn't until he listened to the voices that he understood.

Jhaeros whispered to Solas, "My Manya, stay behind me and stay hidden." before shielding Solas from the people approaching them, he gripped his bow and notched an arrow ready to shoot.

Solas strapped his bow around him as his father stepped in front of him and gripped the back of his father's tunic, his nerves jittery about the events about to occur. However, he stood with his spine straight as steel. His shoulders pulled back and head set forward. He would now cower to whoever came and show weakness.

Breaking from the tree line, Mikael and his sons stalked through with arrogance, their egos rolling off them so much that you could practically taste it in the air.

Jhaeros scoffed at the nauseating sight of them and how they acted, 'Oh if only people knew the truth and the clandestine inside that family.' Jhaeros smirked at his thoughts and how the people would react to the iniquity they indeed were. His thoughts were interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

"Ahem," Jhaeros stifled a snarky reply that rested on the tip of his tongue to the person clearing their throat as he rolled his eyes.

"It's you," Mikael breathed out before angling himself between Jhaeros and his sons in case of the threat Jhaeros imposed.

"Why, yes, Mikael, it is I." Jhaeros drawled out, "Hm, and if it isn't Finn and Elijah, correct?" His mannerisms were stoic and blank, nothing showing or telling how he felt.

Mikael licked his lips, "Yes, these are Finn and Elijah. I've heard you have a child; I believe it was said to be a boy, right? How is he?"

Jhaeros quirked an eyebrow, "My son," Jhaeros's eyes narrowed, and his fingers twitched to let the arrow fly to teach this little nuisance a lesson. "You are wondering about my son, Mikael. I would choose my next words very carefully; I do not take kindly to any conversation when my son is mentioned, especially by the likes of you." Jhaeros sneered

Mikael flinched at what was said, and his hand twitched for his weapon. He knew he was treading dangerous waters just by mentioning the man's son after everything that happened.

Solas felt the twinge of anger seeped into his father's tone when this man mentioned him. He could see the man's children anxiously shift their feet. Solas's lips twitched upward seeing this, 'they should be wary of them. After all, the unknown always poses a threat to the known.' He thought as his eyes scanned them for weaknesses. It was apparent they were stronger than due to them being older. Yet, judging by the way they held their bows, it showed they were novices like him. He would have the upper hand if it came down to a fight due to his small stature and light footwork. He chuckled in his mind, knowing he and his father would win against whoever these people were.

Seeing that Mikael and his sons weren't leaving or answering him, Jhaeros tsked. "Come, Solas, we are leaving." Turning on his heel, his hair and clothes flowed with the wind. As he walked away, Mikael finally saw the boy in question for a fleeting moment before he disappeared, following his father.

With a sigh, Mikael told his boys it was time to go home to their mother.

When Mikael returned, he joined Esther outside, watching their sons where you could see looks of pride and joy reflected in their eyes. They laughed as Esther rubbed her swollen stomach, feeling the new babe kick. They have felt enlightened ever since they were ridden of the cursed child that was once their fourth-born, and now, with their fifth-born on the way, they thought they could conquer any land. However, they should have known that arrogance and pride will always be the downfall of many.

The village was buzzing with noise about the celebration of Óðinsdagr, but it all fell silent when two figures approached it. One of the figures was none other than Jhaeros himself, and the second one was Solas, standing tall, not even cowering to the looks he was receiving. Solas let his eyes wander over the people, noticing how everyone became silent when he and his father crossed their borders.

Mikael and Esther both sucked in a breath and blanched at who was standing about a few houses away from them. They scrutinized the boy before them as they watched him turn to his father. It was then they noticed his ears were just like his father's; they were pointed. As they continued to inspect the changes in the boy, they saw his eyes had become more blue-grey than the once ice blue they were, and his hair was lighter, almost platinum. The boy no longer shared physical aspects with them; it was as if his whole bloodline had changed and transformed him into who he was. They were knocked out of their astonishment when Elijah walked up to the boy.

Elijah cleared his throat, "Hello, my name is Elijah, son of Mikael; what is yours?" His tone is polite yet posh, placing a friendly facade to greet the newcomers.

Solas looked the boy up and down, then turned his head to his father, who nodded at the unasked question. "Hello, Elijah, my name is Solas, son of Jhaeros." His tone was husky yet regal.

When Elijah heard Solas mention his father's name, he tilted his head in confusion, not knowing who he was, until he saw the man standing beside the boy Elijah pale. He knew who this man was, the man his parents warned him about. Elijah felt a cold sweat drip down his spine; his hands began to shake slightly. "Uh, um," Elijah stuttered, "Hel—Hello, Jhaeros."