Chapter 10

1010 A.D.

So tell me, little wolf, do you want to punish those who have wronged you?

Jhaeros pulled Solas closed so their foreheads could touch, "My Solas, my son, I will do anything to protect you. The day I made you my son, I swore to the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars that nothing would stand in my path to get to you. You know, how you always asked me what the word 'mirwa ' meant?" Solas nodded his head, wondering where his father was going with this. "It means precious, and you are precious to me. Just like how your name means pride, you are my pride. My ion, I knew you were meant for greatness, a king who needed no crown to rule—a pure soul with a heart of starlight and a mind of the cosmos. You have made me so proud." Jhaeros poured out his heart as he saw tears breaching his son's eyes.

"Ada, why are you saying this? Why are you speaking as if this is a farewell?" Solas questioned, his voice cracking slightly from hearing his father's words. He always knew his father loved him, but this was different. It was as if his father knew something was about to happen to him, and he wouldn't be there to see Solas become older.

Jhaeros only smiled softly, "My brilliant ion, they are coming for you. Your friend has betrayed you; now, I must take matters into my own hands to protect you. I am willing to sacrifice myself so you can grow into your skin, for you have a future ahead of you and a fate calling to you. My fate brought me to you. I will always be indebted to fate for bringing you into my life."Jhaeros demanded as he pushed Solas away from him. "My Solas, I need you to run now; run as fast as you can and as far as you can go. But when you come back, burn everything to the ground."

Solas watched as his father's back straightened, his head held high like a crown was resting there. His father turns his head to look over his shoulder one last time. You could feel the sorrow in the air, but it was overwhelmed by the love and urge to protect. Solas saw the ghost smile on his father's lips before disappearing behind a blank mask. He stood frozen in time and space as his father's figure drifted further away. It wasn't until the rushing of wind reached his ears that it wasn't time to wallow in grief, but now was the time to hide and wait. And so, he ran, he jumped, and leaped through the trees until he could have a spot where he could see and hear everything from a safe distance. He sent Umbra to the area so he could watch what was occurring. He felt his throat close up, seeing the Mikaelson family surrounding his father; he could feel the dark despair and betrayal swirling around him.

All Solas could think was, 'Why? How could Elijah betray me like this? He swore to me we made a promise as brothers.' The expressions on the Mikaelsons were explicit. They hated him and his father.

The Mikaelsons surrounded Jhaeros; he had no choice but to give in so his son could escape. He knew this would happen, but somehow, he wished he could have protected his son's heart from being broken by that boy. It was all because of him. He couldn't help himself, "You know Elijah, you have betrayed my son. He does not take kindly to betrayal."

Elijah looked Jhaeros in the eyes as if he were superior, "But isn't it a wonderful thing that he isn't here? He will never know I betrayed his trust. Once we are done with you, he will find your body and come to me. His heart and mind will be broken, but there is no need to worry; I will piece him back together. After all, we did make a promise to each other, and as long as he never finds out, my word will never be broken." He said nonchalantly

Jhaeros couldn't help but laugh, "You think he will not find out what has happened here? What has happened to me? My, what a naive little creature. You believe that because you have power, you can defy me. I can't even bring myself to pity such a poor creature."

Elijah hissed at Jhaeros, his anger getting the better of him. Jhaeros gave him a cold smile with his empty, bone-chilling blue-grey eyes piercing through his soul. Before Elijah could approach Jhaeros, Mikael grabbed his shoulder to stop him. He asked, "You would risk your life for that boy?"