― Prologue, beams of sunlight

PROLOGUE. ' beams of sunlight '

HARLOW KINGS is of the ripe age of ten when she arrives at Camp Half-Blood

HARLOW KINGS is of the ripe age of ten when she arrives at Camp Half-Blood. Her mom had dropped her off at the edges of camp, staring in confusion at the sign that blurred between 'Danger! Do not enter!' to the words 'Camp Half-Blood' not only in English but in another older language right below it. Ancient Greek? She has no idea.

All things considered, Harlow could've lived her life onwards without a care in the world- without even knowing that she was a demigod... or whatever her mom had quickly tried to explain to her. If fate had pulled itself in another and sewn just a bit more- she'd still be back in Brooklynn and wouldn't have had to cancel that sleepover with Jenny Wu from two roads down. But alas, that is not always the case.

Funds were tight for her and her mom, she was a demigod who needed a place to stay, and so the only viable option was Camp Half-Blood. That's what her mom had told her on the car ride over, anyways. Whether or not she was to believe that was a totally different set of statements.

The whole ordeal had been casual. So stupidly casual, actually. The biggest dilemma Harlow had faced was the fact that (as previously said) she'd be missing out on a sleepover with Jenny Wu two roads down. In the grand scheme of life, that seemed like no big deal- to a ten-year-old Harlow it was perhaps a bigger deal, but even then she was only upset she wouldn't be getting the killer food Jenny's mom usually made for them.

There aren't many changes to her life- or perhaps there aren't enough for Harlow to want to stay at Camp Half-Blood forever.

In her first few hours, the only thing she has gathered is that white trainers don't stand a chance against muddied pathways and that the 'Hermes Cabin' as people are calling it needs a serious extension. It's warmer inside the cabin than it is outside with the number of bodies packed into one place (which is sort of worrying- Harlow's pretty sure the summer heat here is terrible).

The shocking things come after breakfast, obviously.

It all started with a tour. One held by another 'demigod', March Castillo- some son of Athena. He was dressed in frayed jeans with a grey tank top whilst Harlow had been fitted into an unflattering shade of putrid orange that she hated along with her prized flared jeans that were already getting dirtied.

The older guy (probably sixeen or something) grinned at her, "Don't worry, you won't have to wear that shirt all the time. It's just tradition for new campers to wear it on their first day. You can swap out of it tomorrow- most do."

She looked around at the war of colours surrounding her. Some people walked past wearing normal t-shirts with little funny graphics on them and other things and the other half seemed to have condemned themselves to the putrid orange 'Camp Half-Blood' t-shirt she was also wearing. Except, they all had little necklaces with beads on them for some strange reason.