― 003, the prophecy talk/ the red demon

THREE. part i) harlow's tale:
' the prophecy talk '

THE APOLLO cabin, per protocol, where required to call in campers every day for a week after arriving at camp for 'safety measures' to make sure they hadn't gone insane, injured themselves and not spoken up about it or to just make sure that their...

THE APOLLO cabin, per protocol, where required to call in campers every day for a week after arriving at camp for 'safety measures' to make sure they hadn't gone insane, injured themselves and not spoken up about it or to just make sure that their preexisting injuries where fine and that nothing really bad would happen.

Every morning, because her siblings hated her apparently, Harlow was forced to check up on Percy Jackson's wounds- which had been healing nicely due to the portions of ambrosia given to him and also the fact Harlow was a damn good medic when she wanted to be. Quinlan, the son of Hephaestus, had to come as well (though he usually came ten minutes or so after Percy was finished) just to make sure he was doing well mentally- making sure he was dealing with camp properly and wasn't going bonkers.

The only positive in the whole situation was Annabeth.

Right after Percy was finished with his checkup- he'd have Ancient Greek lessons with Annabeth (just to get him up to speed with reading it fluently. It was like what mortals needed English classes for, Harlow guessed, to make sure they could read all words: big or small).

The positive, of course, was not the fact that Percy had the luxury of spending time with Annabeth- but the fact that Annabeth would walk over to the medical bay and actually talk to Harlow whilst she was checking up on Percy. Maybe it was because they were already somewhat friends- or maybe it was because of something else. But regardless, Harlow woke up every day with a pep in her step for those rare minutes talking with Annabeth.

She called it romantic-

Ataru called it pathetic.

"I get you like her- but chill out about it," he said as they walked away from Archery. "Seriously, though- you've been acting freakier than usual with her." He looked down at her, turning all serious suddenly, "Anything you want to talk about? Is this to do with visions- did you see anything?"

"I-"

"I knew it was a matter of time," sighed Ataru, "am I going to have to give you the talk?"

"The talk?" grimaced Harlow, absolutely mortified. "I'm twelve- not an idiot! I've had the birds and the bees talk!"

Ataru looked blankly at her, "No- not that talk. The other one."

"There's another talk? Is this... the bees and the bees- or er, the birds and the birds talk?" Harlow asked sheepishly, "What are you talking about?"

"The talk- the one we give to every Apollo kid with a slither of prophetic powers," Ataru replied. "That's the talk- idiot. I..." he winced, "Our old cabin councillor- Maia- you won't remember her, but she gave the same talk to me when I was maybe a year older than you."