24. The Maze

The group of Christians followed pastor Robertson to the satanic church. Not all of the Christians followed him, some thought that violence wasn't the solution to getting the book back. Grandma and I followed the group, we walked somewhere in the back so that the pastor wouldn't notice us. It was a long walk, but it was doable.

I was worrying a lot about the ghouls, grandma noticed it. She rubbed her hand over my back while we walked through the dark oak forest surrounding the satanic church. ''Don't worry, you got this. We got this.'' ''Thanks, grandma.''

When we finally arrived at the church, someone grabbed a stone and threw it through one of the painted windows of the church. Other people grabbed their crucifixes and began to run inside of the church. It didn't take long for the satanists to notice us, within no time, there were ghouls and satanists getting mad at the Christians for vandalizing their church.

Grandma and I ran inside the church, there were Christians fighting the ghouls and satanists in the room where the services would be held on Sunday. And they had no mercy while they fought between the pews. The ghouls may be strong, but the Christians knew exactly what would hurt them; their crucifixes.

''Those crucifixes can seriously hurt the ghouls, can you steal them all while I go and look for the person who knows the way in the maze?'' I asked. Grandma was looking shocked at all the people who were beginning to fight. ''Sure!''

I looked around to see if pastor Robertson was still here, but he already disappeared to go to the basement. Time to look for Rain.

''AAH!'' I immediately turned around when I heard someone scream really loudly next to me. It was Mountain, he was really close to a crucifix one of the Christians was holding in front of them. Just when I wanted to help him, grandma already did. She grabbed the crucifix out of the Christian's hand. ''That ghoul is probably one of my granddaughter's friends, and no one messes with my granddaughter's friends!'' She punched her enemy in their face, and before Mountain could even thank her, she went on to steal another crucifix.

I couldn't find Rain anywhere in the crowd of fighting people and ghouls, but I did find Aether standing in the corner. ''Aether! I'm on your side, I promise! Where is Rain?'' Aether looked around, he was clearly scared of the crucifixes. ''I trust you, Eve. Rain told us everything that had happened. He was panicking about this whole fight. And anytime he panics, he goes to hide in the bathrooms.'' ''Thanks, Aether.''

I ran towards the nearest bathrooms, those were the bathrooms near The Great Hall. There was no one in sight, but maybe he was hiding in one of the cubicles. ''Rain? It's me, Eve. I need your help to stop pastor Robertson. Listen, I might have been the one who let you fall, but I will catch you, time after time.''

One of the cubicles opened up. Rain came out of it, he didn't look alright. He looked really scared, he had sweat all over his arms, and he was breathing heavily. ''Sorry, as soon as I found out what is happening, I panicked. I don't want to fight, because that's just not me, but I do want to help the satanists.'' ''Oh, I got the perfect job for you. Pastor Robertson is on his way to the basement to un-summon the ghouls. We have to stop him!'' Rain looked even more panicked than before. ''So let's go!'' I screamed at him.

We ran through the halls of the church, even there we weren't safe from Robertson's followers. There was one girl standing in the hallway, she held her her crucifix in front of her as soon as she saw Rain. She was quite tall and her long brown hair was braided. I knew this girl, her name was Lisa. Lisa wasn't the worst person in the world, but she hadn't been exactly nice to me either. We used to be friends as kids, but we grew apart when puberty hit us. Since then, she didn't want to hang out with me anymore. It was probably because she thought that she was "too cool" to hang out with someone like me.

''Don't listen to that ghoul, Eve.'' She said. ''I know that we aren't friends anymore, but he's turned you into a heathen!'' I stepped forward, Rain obviously stayed behind me because he was scared of her crucifix. ''Well, too bad for you that Rain is my friend.'' I said, as I pushed her away and tried to steal her crucifix from her. She held on to it tightly. ''Wait, he's the ghoul who attacked-'' She couldn't finish her sentence because I punched her in her face, that caused her to drop the crucifix. ''I'm so sorry that I had to do that, Lisa.'' I said, as I grabbed her crucifix off the floor so Rain could safely run past her. ''But it is your own fault for believing pastor Robertson. Can't you see that he brainwashed you?'' I was so done with the fact that no one seemed to believe me. Even Lisa, who had known me for ages, believed the pastor instead of me.

We ran through the halls until we found the entrance of the basement, the guard ghouls were no where to be seen. The stairs were made out of cold stone, just like the walls of the maze. The maze was even darker than I had imagined it. I grabbed Rain's hand as I followed him into the dark, he didn't seem to mind it. It was cold in the basement, but I was warm inside from all the running we did.

''You said that the maze has different rooms where they hide their prized possessions, and that they put the possessions in different rooms every once in a while. So do you have any idea where they have put the book now?'' I asked. ''I have no idea. But neither does he.'' Rain said.

We kept making turn after turn, if I had to do this on my own, it'd be impossible to get to the pastor in time. I was so lucky to have Rain with me. The situation wasn't ideal, but I was just glad to have him by my side once again.

''We're almost at the nearest room.'' Rain panted. ''Why are you panting?'' I asked. ''Aren't you supposed to have like, ghoul-superpowers?'' Rain looked at me as if he suddenly realized something. ''Eve, you're right. I think I'm getting weaker because the pastor has started to use the book. He's un-summoning us!'' ''Let's go then!'' I screamed.

But Rain's pace was starting to slow down. ''I- I can't.'' He almost fell down to the ground, but I catched him just in time. ''You're going to have to do this on your own, Eve.'' ''Rain! I can't! I don't know where to go in this hell of a maze!'' Rain's hand reached out to me. I crouched down next to him so I could grab his hand. ''I know you can do this Eve. It's just 4 more turns, first you go 2 to the right, then 2 to the left. And in case I'm getting locked away in hell again, I want you to know that...'' His other hand stroked the side of my face. ''I love you.''

My heart felt like it was getting crushed and healed at the same time by his confession. I had been dying to hear these 3 words come out of his mouth for months now. But I had never imagined it to go like this. ''I love you too.'' I gave him a quick forehead kiss before I ran away.

The thought of all the ghouls falling down to the ground while they were fighting pastor Robertson's followers upstairs was horrifying. I really hoped that grandma stole all of the crucifixes that the Christians used against them. It would break my heart if the ghouls had to live the rest of their lives with the kind of burning scar that Rain has on his chest.

I took 4 more turns in the dark maze, 2 to the right, then 2 to the left. When I took the last turn, I could see pastor Robertson standing in the room with the book, he was busy saying some sort of spell. ''Daemones revertere ad inferos...'' The room was small, besides the book, the pastor, and some big old wooden chest, there wasn't really anything in the room.

I ran towards the pastor, ready to safe my friends, ready to safe the ghoul I loved the most, ready to interrupt his spell.