Prologue

A small girl banged on the door of her sister's bedroom. "Open up, Kimi-neechan! Please let me explain!"

"Leave me alone, Kiyo-chan!" cried the girl from the other side of the door. She hug her knees closer. "Just leave me alone..."

"Kiyoko," a voice gruffly said from down the hall. "Do not bother Kimiko. We need to leave for your competition. NOW."

"Hai, Father," Kiyoko replied. She then looked sorrowfully at her sister's door. She quietly whispered, "See you later after the competition, Kimi-neechan."

Kimiko watched her parents and her sister leave for the airport from her window. When the car left her view, she grabbed her violin that laid still on her bed. The girl positioned it on her shoulder and held the bow over the strings. Then she tried to play. Her right hand trembled as she forced herself to move the bow.

Silence. That was all Kimiko could hear. She dropped her bow and violin onto her bed. Her heart ache as tears flow down from her eyes. She cried for a good while before calling one of her grandfathers.

"Hi-Hia-jii, m-my h-h-heart cannot hear the violin anymore," she sobbed into the phone. "I-it fe-feels so heavy. It feels like the time when a car hit Ame and he died. Only worse."

Understanding his granddaughter's underlying message, the grandfather told her that he was going to pick her up and had her pack some necessities and her invaluable belongings. He sent a letter to his granddaughter's parents saying that he is going to take custody of Kimiko.

Needless to say, Kimiko left the Hatsuhana household. The only thing she left for her sister was a note. It said, "Silence is all I could hear now when the bow hits the violin's strings ever since that day. Sorry. I quit."