Chapter 1

*2 years ago*
*Third person POV*

"I'm sorry we tried everything we could, he didn't make it. Your father suffered badly from the crash." That was what the doctor said when he got out of the room. She couldn’t believe it. He was gone. Forever. “Your father was already brain dead when he arrived at the hospital.” He explained before leaving them. 

She let out a sob and dropped to the floor. She put her hand over her mouth to silent her uncontrollable cries, but it wasn't working. How could she calm down when the only person, who raised her, finished their time early. The only parent who was there for her during her first steps, word, graduation and achievements.

She felt strong arms engulfed around her in a hug. The familiar warmth feeling made her put her face in that person's chest and cried all of her pain out. Staining it with wet tears. "Shhh it's ok love." He soothed her while caressing her hair. 

"How am I gonna be ok when-" She couldn't even finish because another sob left her mouth and more tears started tracking down her face. "My father, who is the only parent I have, is dead, George." She finished between the sobs.

She lost her mother the moment she was born. Her father is a retired colonel in the Royal army. He was nothing but the best father to her. 

He caressed her hair and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I know it's bad love but just remember you're not alone. You still have me." He reassured her.

"Promise me that you will never leave me?" She asked. 

He took her hand and kissed the twisted gold rose ring that was in her ring finger. "I promise. I said that when I gave this to you." He said while pointing out the promise ring that she wore for 2 years in her finger.

*A week later*

The soft wind blew her hair to the side. Her eyes felt like it was burning after all the crying. It was bloodshot red but no one knows because of the shades she is wearing. Many people are behind her, watching in sadness and sorrow when a group of uniformed men walk down while carrying a big wooden chest that is draped with the United kingdom flag, in their hands.

They set down the coffin at the lowering gear and stood beside the coffin. "Thank you all. For gathering here today for the passing of a kind and wise man, Colonel Joseph Rockingham." The priest said.

As the priest started saying prayers, she looked at the large frame photo of her father in his uniform. This made her remember all the precious time she got with her father.

Her father is a really busy man. Whenever he has to go overseas for a duty, he would always leave her with her Aunt. However, that didn't stop him from being a good father. He would always write letters to her every single time he had the chance too. 

When he comes home from duty, he would always take her out on a father-daughter day. Which is where they go out for ice creams, go to the movies or sometimes go to the amusement park.

He didn't give up on her when his beloved wife died. He was there for her first tooth, step, word and birthday. He would always be there for her during graduations and other achievements. Unfortunately, the graduation next week, which will make her have her nursing degree, is the first one he's ever going to miss.

"Aim!" Someone yelled out. She snapped out of her trance and saw the uniformed men spreading out the flag over the coffin. 7 officers were pointing their rifles to the sky.

"Fire!" The same one yelled out. Gunshots were heard throughout the sky. At the same time, they were also folding out the flag in a triangle.

They reloaded their guns. "Aim!" He yelled out again. "Fire!" He yelled. Bullets were shot in the air with a loud noise heard throughout the field. The bullets remind her of how she would always want her dad to be in her graduation but it all came breaking down.