Chapter 10- And I don't want the world to see me

5 years ago.

It's the final day of uni. It's been a long 3 years. Me, Penelope and George all walk into the main building for the last time. "So I was thinking, wanna go out and get pissed tonight in celebration?" George says. I nod my head "why not" I say. Penelope nods her head in agreement and we go into the hall for our graduation celebration. George and Penelope are my childhood best friends. George is looking to go into book publishing with his dad but went to uni to learn business management. I've known George since I was 2 when his parents moved in next door. Penelope did English literature with me. I've known her all my life as her mum and my mum were childhood best friends. We sit through the graduation ceremony then head back to our flat's to change and go out for the night.

I arrived at the wetherspoons first. I find a table for 3 and sit down and wait for the other two. Penelope walks through the door next. Her blonde hair is tied into a messy bun. She's wearing a pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt and a black leather jacket. She sits down next to me and we wait for george. He arrives and sits down. We start to drink and chat. It got to midnight when we decided to go home. I watch as Penelope and George walk home together. I drop George a text saying enjoy your night with penelope. I set off in the other direction and got home. I unlock my door and flop onto my bed.

I wake up the next day. I check my phone and see a text from george. Yo dude what the fuck happened why the fuck am i in bed with penelope. I laugh. I don't text him back. I open my laptop. I put my headphones on and open up spotify. I set one of my playlists to run and then I carry on with my manuscript for my first book.

Coffee and a crush

Chapter 6

It was Friday night music when I next saw Jennifer she was the closing act as normal and absolutely killed a acoustic rendition of yungbluds I love you,will you marry me. Everyone stood up once she finished. Eventually everyone's filing out of the coffee shop when I feel someone grab my shoulder I turn around and Jennifer's standing there. I look straight into her blue eyes trying to work put what shes doing. She then asks if I'm the reporter. I laugh and say you should know you sat next to me last night at the comedy night. She hands me a folded up piece of paper then she leaves the coffee shop. I'm stood outside the coffee shop with this piece of paper in my hand. Then John one of the comedians from last night who happens to be one of the group comes over. Everyone's going to a after party which is normal for Friday night. The rest of the lads will already have been at johns and I join them after the show there normally drunk and high by the time in get there but fuck it the party's are usually jokes. I pocket the piece of paper and we get to johns the others are stoned as fuck I can tell. John doesn't smoke weed so he isn't high. I ask him how much did the lot of them smoke this time. I don't think I've seen them this stoned. He hands me a joint and I light it and I suddenly understand why there fucked. This is some high quality shit and they smoked all of it apart from this joint. its about half 1 in the morning when i leave johns house that's when i remember the piece of paper Jennifer gave me. i open the piece of paper and holy shit that's her fucking phone number

I finish chapter 6 and close the laptop. I take off my headphones. There's a banging at my door. "ONE SEC" I yell. I walk over to my door and open it. I see Penelope standing there. "Hey" I say when I see her. She raises her eye at me. "I'VE BEEN STOOD OUT HERE FOR HALF A FUCKING HOUR" she yells at me. I chuckle. I didn't hear her knocking over my music. "Sorry i had headphones on, I wanna come in" I say. She walks in. I close the door behind me and sit down on my sofa. "So what's up?" i ask her. She falls to the floor and starts crying "i-i fucked george" she says. I act surprised. I already knew she had but George is Penelope's sister's ex-boyfriend. She sits down on the sofa. "What am I gonna do?" she says. I rush over and hug her. "You will be okay," I said to her. I held Penelope there for a long time. Trying my best to comfort her. Eventually Penelope regains her composure. After a little while she leaves my flat. A couple hours pass when my phone starts to ring. I go over and pick up the call. "JOHN I NEED YOU NOW" a female voice yells down the phone. I blink "the fuck" i say. "ITS PENELOPE SHES GONNA JUMP FROM HER FLAT" the voice yells. Shit. I started grabbing my coat. "Wait who is this? '' I ask the mysterious voice. I pull my coat on and grab my keys. "It's me Anna," she says. It clicks in my head. I start to run in the direction of Penelope's flat. I get to the stairs up to her flat. I ran up to them to get to the roof. I open the door to the roof "PENELOPE NO!" i shout. She turns around. "Why should I, John?" she says. I reach her. "Because I'd care if you weren't around. You're like my best friend." i say to her, She steps closer to the edge. "Penelope. Your sister cares. I wouldn't have been here if she hadn't phoned me." i say to her, She takes another step to the edge. I hear footsteps behind me the door fly's open "PENELOPE DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE" anna shouts. Penelope takes another step to the edge of the building. "Fuck this" i mutter. I rush forward and grab Penelope, pulling her away from the edge of the building. I sit her down on the roof. I have one hand on her shoulder to stop her making a dash for the edge of the building. "We care about you." Anna says. I nod my head. Penelope starts to cry. We both reach down and hug her. "I don't give a fuck if you did fuck George or not. Past is the past he can do what he wants and you can do what you want.'' Anna says. I just hold onto Penelope to try and comfort her. Eventually we get her off the roof and into her apartment. Make some coffee while Penelope and Anna share a sister-sister moment. I come back in with the coffee. I hand one to Anna and I pass the other cup to Penelope. We chatted for a little while. When Penelope gets up to go to the loo. "John, do you think you could stay with my sister for the night?" she says to me. I think about it for a second. I just had to save Penelope from herself because she made a drunken mistake the night before. I nod my head. "Sure, I can stay the night," I say. Anna thanks me profusely. Penelope walks back in. "I'm gonna go to bed. You guys are welcome to stay the night if you want" she says. I nod my head "I might just take you up on that offer." i say. Penelope chuckles and turns bright red for a second. "I'll go home to be honest sis. I live round the corner anyway." anna says she gets up and whispers to me "thank you" . She goes to the door and lets herself out.

Penelope sets about finding me a cushion and a blanket to sleep on. "I'm sorry john I don't really have anywhere for you to sleep," she says. I chuckle. "Oh don't worry about me" I say. I settle down on the sofa. "This'll do. George has had me sleep on his floor before." I say. Penelope chuckles. "Well goodnight John," she says. I walk over to one of her windows and open it. The night air hits my face. I take a pack of cigarettes out of my pocket and light one up. I start to reflect on the last few days. I really need to stop smoking, I think to myself. When I started uni I was so much worse. Now I only smoke when I'm thinking. I blow the smoke out the window and look at the night lights. I take out my phone and call George. He picks up. "Hey what's up?" he asks me. I tell him about today's events. After telling him everything he hangs up. I sit and stare out the window for a little longer. I stub out my cigarette and throw the butt into the street. I close the window and lay down on the sofa.

I woke up the next day at 9. Penelope walks into the living room. We talked for a bit before I headed home. On my way home I heard George shout my name from down the street. He rushes up to me. "Hey, listen about last night," he says. I shake my head. "Listen, don't worry about it. Anna and Penelope won't wanna see you for a while but they'll come around. They always do and before you ask don't worry Penelope won't nearly kill herself again she promised me" i say. He nods his head. "But you do owe me one. I just saved a girls life cus of the mess you made ''I say. He nods his head and gestures to a nearby restaurant "breakfast on me?" he asks. I nod my head "why not." I replied.