The race against time

Pov: Karna from the world of light

By the time the armour three-fouths off, Karna's thought process had frozen and he was executing the prizing action with the dagger only mechanically. 

Just a little more. Just a little, and I can go to Arjun.

The stranger Arjun stood staring at him quietly. Karna's gaze was too hazy to make out his expression. But his stance, at least, was exactly like his brother's would be. 

"Jyesht?"

Sahadev's aghast voice spiralled Karna's vision to focus as he finally wrenched off the armour and flung it down.

"There--you go--Takshak--" He could not manage to speak as commandingly as he would have liked.

"Jyesht, what on earth are you doing?"

Then his brothers were crowded around him, exclaiming in horror, barraging him with questions. 

Karna drew away, for there was still a part of his deal left. The world swayed with the movement, and one of them, probably Bheem, caught his elbow.

He raised the dagger to his ears and cut off one earring in one motion before his brothers could yell.

"Have you gone crazy, jyesht?"

Karna shoved away their restraining arms and did the same with the other earring.

The prospect of speaking was daunting, but he owed his brothers an explanation. He opened his mouth to try; before he could, Arjun unexpectedly spoke up for him.

"Takshak tricked him," he said.

The four brothers turned to face him.

"He deliberately shut off your brother in my universe so he could have the King of--so that he could have jyesht's armour and earrings to make him immortal in return of invoking the link between the universes again."

Takshak shrieked with laughter in agreement. Bheem looked up at his spirit, his eyes glowing red, and lifted his mace.

"No, Bheem." Karna's voice came out a croak. He cleared his throat. "King of Serpents, I have fulfilled my end of the deal; kindly fulfill yours."

Nakul and Sahadev had produced their magical ointments and attempted to make Karna sit down, which he refused, and apply it on his body, which he allowed.

Blinding silver light swirled around them as the portal came into focus.

"You said sunrise wasn't far away," said Bheem, making for it. "We need to hurry."

"Bheem--!"

The mere idea of his other brothers in that awful universe made Karna's blood freeze. He had had enough of worry; he could not possibly take any more of it today.

"I will go alone."

"What do you mean?" asked Yudhishthir with a pointed glance at his injured body.

"I mean exactly what I say. I will go and bring Arjun back. You four will stay here and not step through the portal."

"You cannot possibly go in this state, jyesht," protested Nakul, his unceasing fingers leaving a soothing effect on the torn, broken skin.

"Do any of you know the layout of the place we will be going to?" 

"No, but--you have to let us come with you!" said Bheem. "At least let us come with you." 

"No," said Karna. "I am your older brother, and you will listen to me. I am having no more defiance from any of you." He looked at Yudhishthir. "Make sure these three don't try to follow us. Come on, Arjun."