4. "Pete Mitchell, call sign Maverick"

Phoenix and Y/N were woken up by their alarm at six in the morning. The room was quiet, and slowly filling up with light from the small gap between the window and the curtains. Y/N was the first to get up from bed, and when she walked towards the bathroom with her toiletries she saw Phoenix laying on her bed looking worse than ever. "You good? Do you need anything" Phoenix looked towards her reviling two dark under eyes and a tired face "I'm gonna throw up while flying, no joke! I feel like a beat-up tortilla at Taco Bell " Y/N laughs quietly and throws a packet of painkillers at Phoenix before going into the bathroom and turning on the shower. "I'm sure Hangman feels like shit today as well if that makes you feel any better. The last time I saw him yesterday he was sitting on the floor puking while signing a song about unicorns". This time it's Phoenix who laughs and it looks like listening about Hangman's misery was a better cure for her hangover than the painkillers. "That helps a lot actually, maybe I won't be the only one puking in an aircraft today"

The duo is out of the door by seven, and despite still having dark blue undereyes, Phoenix looks much better than she did just an hour ago. They enter the cafeteria, only to be met by rows of empty tables. It's summer and all of the students that usually go to Top Gun are home on summer break. Just as Phoenix is about to walk out again, a group of boys at the end of the cafeteria whistles in their direction. "Y/N! Phoenix! Over here". The girls both recognize the voice, but Phoenix is the first one to answer. "We'll be there in a sec Fanboy, just gotta pick up some food before I puke" Y/N can hear the boys laughing from their table before she heads on over to get breakfast. Pheonix piles up her plate with eggs, bacon, bread, and pancakes before filling up a glass with low-fat milk ." Gotta watch what I eat you know".

"Well well if it isn't the sore loser from yesterday" Fanboy looks at Phoenix while shoving a whole pop tart into his mouth at once. "Why did we never get this type of food while we went to school here?". "Oh shut it fanboy" Phoenix pushes him over before placing her tray on his right side. "You can sit here if you want". Y/N looks up at Rooster, whos pointing to the seat next to him. Phoenix looks at her and smiles, hinting with her eyes that she should take the place. "Eh, sure, thank you".

Just as she sits next to Rooster she notices somebody walking up to her. "There you are princess, you left me all alone yesterday". Hangman plumps down next to her, squishing her closer to Rooster. He doesn't smell as bad as yesterday, but his face gives away how shitty he's feeling. "Fuck off Hangman, you're squishing her" "I wouldn't complain if I were you, having this fine lady so close, but if you don't want it I'll gladly take her" Hangman grabs around her waist pulling her closer to him, and further away from Rooster. "Why did you leave yesterday, I was gonna drive you home you know". "Stop Hangman, you were way too drunk. I drove her home-" Rooster holds around her thigh stopping Hangman from pulling her towards him "-and you're clearly making her uncomfortable so just shut it". Hangman curses under his breath, but lets go of her waist and starts eating his breakfast.

"Is that all you're eating?" Y/N looks down at her plate before looking up at Rooster again "Yeah?". "We have a long day ahead of us, you were out drinking yesterday and all you have for breakfast is a fruit bowl and one single pancake?". Hangman looks at Rooster and pretends to puke in his food "Oh my god, calm down mama bear. She's 21, and an adult, she can take care of herself". Y/N pushes them both away from her "Calm down boys hah hah no need to act this way. Thank you for caring Rooster, but I'm not hungry, and Hangman I appreciate it but I can speak up for myself". Fanboy whistles from the end of the table, and Phoenix has to hold in a laugh. "Okay, ma'am " Rooster smiles at her, before turning to his own food.

Everyone finished their breakfast before eight, and within ten minutes the entire group was on their way to the training area at the base. Phoenix and Y/N are walking right behind Rooster and Payback, and Hangman is only three steps behind them.