you belong with me (adrienette)

"can't you see that I'm the one who understands you?"

♡ Marinette ♡

Science labs were the best type of labs, not only because I was the best at them, but because everyone wanted my lab partner and I made it extremely clear to everyone I was taking full advantage of Adrien Agreste being my lab partner. When I first learned that I was assigned to be his partner for the entire year, I was more annoyed than anything else. Popular kids didn't know how to do anything, especially popular kids who had their parents infiltrate their entire lives. Adrien had been a model his whole life and worked throughout grade school and now he had a huge contract with some really big companies so I understood if he wasn't the best at Chemistry.

But he surprised me.

Apart from Max and Alix, Adrien was the only person in the class who had ever gotten higher than me in the class and I was shocked, to say the least. Not only was he smart, but he was super kind too. Never once had he commented on my glasses or not helped me pick my books off the floor when Chloe knocked them down. He was absolutely perfect, but deep down I knew he would only see me as a girl in his third-period class.

Today, he had come in late and mouthed a "sorry" to me before setting his books down and grabbing his lab goggles, he seemed unhappy. He told me he would his part of the lab, but I told him it was alright if he just needed a second to step out for some air. He took a deep breath and got to work really fast, how professional!

"It's just my girlfriend," he sighed, "She's been a pain in the ass lately because I made a joke about some stupid thing she said and she got super mad at me."

This was the first time he had ever opened up to me about his personal life, but my heart still felt crushed knowing he was taken. Of course, he was taken he was literally the most perfect human being ever. It was unheard of to know a boy who was tall and handsome and smart and kind all at the same time.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said, "Is there anything I can do?" I asked shyly and he smiled at me, shaking his head.

"Thanks anyway Marinette," he said as he wrote down our numbers, "Life has just been a lot lately. I'm glad I at least don't have to worry about chem. Not that I think I'm like using you to do the work- I like chem-I just-I'm glad that I have such a good partner that I don't really have to think about it-not that I don't think about it because I do I'm just- grateful is what I'm trying to say."

I giggled and he seemed to get the message, giggling back, until our instructor told us to shut up and focus on the lab or we would get points off for disruption. Annoying really, Chloe and Sabrina hadn't shut up since class started, but it was always an issue when I was involved in the talking.

I had the urge to continue to talk to him, but when I opened my mouth, our teacher was staring directly at me so I turned the other way to continue doing our work. It was when we had to crunch our numbers did I see out of the corner of my eye, a hand sliding a piece of folded notebook paper. I looked up at Adrien who silently ushered me to stay quiet as I picked up the note:

"Is number 5 not working for you either?"

I quickly flipped it over and replied:

"Did you convert it the second time?"

When he received it under the desk his eyes widened in understanding and he nodded me a thank you. I smiled to myself, maybe it was selfish, but Adrien having a fight with his girlfriend was working out in my favor and I was incredibly satisfied.

We ended up passing notes until class ended and I intended on asking Adrien to meet up later and study for the test, but unfortunately, as the bell rang I was just finishing up my work and by the time I had turned it in, he was out the door.