Before Ganon's Rise: 100 Years Ago, Search for the Champions

Zelda first travelled to Rito Village to contact the finest archer in Hyrule, Revali. She chose him as the Champion to pilot Vah Medoh, as he had developed a technique called Revali's Gale that sends him aloft with a powerful updraft.

Next, Zelda travelled to Death Mountain to see Link's good friend Daruk, who was the commander of the Goron army, and had develop a technique to protect himself in battle called Daruk's protection. The Hylians, however, we're only able to travel to the base of the mountain, as any further would cause them and their gear to burn up. Daruk accepted his role as Champion, and the Princess moved on.

The next destination was Gerudo Town, where Zelda met up with her mother's best friend, Lady Urbosa, Chief of the Gerudo. Urbosa had been chosen to inherit a power from the Thunder Helm, a relic passed down through generations of chiefs, and she had dubbed this power Urbosa's Fury. She accepted the offer to pilot a divine beast after some hesitation, and the Princess was on her way again. Shortly after leaving Gerudo Town, Zelda decided to make a huff about Link doing his job of following her, and she was attacked by the Yiga Clan (see next chapter). Link swooped in to save her, despite having just been yelled at. This changed Zelda's demeanour towards Link considerably, having her be nicer towards her appointed knight and just people in general.

The final destination for appointing Champions was Zora's Domain. While Link was catching up with his friend Mipha, Princess of the Zora, Zelda was proposing the idea of piloting the Divine Beast to King Dorephan. King Dorephan was the first to refuse that offer, claiming that he was too large to move from his spot, and that his fighting days were over. Zelda still desperately needed another to pilot the Divine Beast, so she called upon Princess Mipha, whose only power was a healing technique passed down through generations known as Mipha's Grace, to complete the task. Mipha agreed enthusiastically though solemnly, but her father was more concerned, having her make a promise to him that she would return back from her duties as a Chanpion alive and well once Ganon was defeated.

After this, the four chosen individuals came together fir a ceremony suggested by Daruk where all four of them and Link were formally knighted as Champions and given blue strips of fabric with the pattern of their corresponding Divine Beast.

The divine beast Vah Medoh, in the shape of a giant bird, was piloted by Revali, Vah Ruta by Mipha, Vah Rudania by Daruk, and Vah Naboris by Urbosa. Link did have his own Divine Beast, though he doesn't find that out until 100 years later (see two chapters from this one).

Revali, the Rito Champion had no title prior to Champion. He was simply a dude with a good power. Revali owned a lovely shack at the brim of a gaping abyss filled with targets, and loves using his Gale power to help him with his shooting technique. He is a very salty bird and spends most of his time alone with no friends because he is rude. This made him lonely and bitter, and now whenever he meets anyone new, he makes a point of being as aloof as is socially acceptable.

Mipha, the Zora Princess and the Zora Champion shared a similar blessing to that of Princess Zelda's and they are under William circumstances as well. Both are royal teenagers who lost their mother before fully realizing their power, and both have similar powers- Mipha's being healing, Zelda's being sealing. However, these characters are vastly different in their demeanour and character traits, with Mipha handling grief and bitterness much more kindly instead of projecting it unto those around her. Mipha, before the Calamity, was planning on proposing to Link, whom she had known for the majority of her life, and she made him the Zora equivalent of an engagement ring: the Zora Armour. Since people don't usually propose before dating first, it is concluded that Link at least had an arrangement with Mipha before the Calamity.

Daruk, the Goron Champion and Commander of the Goron army was a kind soul, and cared very much for his people and his friends. Daruk doesn't really have a known tragic backstory, as there is little to no speculation about Daruk. Daruk is an often overlooked key piece in the works of the four Champions, and probably should be appreciated more than he is.

Finally, Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion, as well as the Chief of the Gerudo, is a well-known and overall powerful idol. Lady Urbosa is just really amazing overall. Urbosa used to be Queen Zelda's best friend before her sad passing in Princess Zelda's youth. From there, she became Zelda's role model and mother figure, taking her under her wing at some times.

These Champions paired with the Sheila's technology and the Master Sword could be unstoppable, but the Great Calamity was upon them, and the fate of Hyrule tested upon their shoulders.