Chapter 3: The Past That Became Present

I woke up around seven and I was still sitting against the wall with my head on Jarred's shoulder. For a blissful moment I was content waking next to my amazingly sweet boyfriend, but than it hit me.

"Oh my God, Jarred, we fell asleep." I shrieked. I tried to shake him awake. I called his name frantically until he finally woke up. Realizing it was morning he put together why I was panicking.

"What time is it?" He asked calmly, inspiring more panic.

"It's Seven O' Five." I replied tensely. We both knew the rules. If a guy was caught in a girl's room or vice-versa, it was an immediate expulsion. Even though I didn't want to be here, and it would be a perfect ticket out. I wouldn't want to be around when Dad found out why I got kicked out.

Jared kissed me on my messy hair and swooped up his backpack, one of his legs was outside the window when we heard the door knob shake, luckily my door was locked but that would only buy us a couple moments. It was too late for him to climb out the window. Every morning at Seven-Fifteen sharp, the maids came in and changed the sheets in room, but today, out of all the days, they had to come early. If they found Jarred in here they would have to report it. 

He ran toward the closet, but I grabbed his arm shaking my head venomously, and pointed to under the bed. Hiding in my closet would have been a perfect place, but my doors jammed up a week ago, and opening the doors was a hit or miss. Bill, the janitor slash handyman hadn't even bothered to come up and look at it. 

Playing hide and seek in my room would be a quick game, there are only so many places you can hide. At least I had my own room now. Jarred would have never been able to come over in my earlier years with two or three other girls in the room. 

"Come in." I called out. Jarred was safely under the bed when the maids unlocked my door, and pulled their cart in.

"Good morning Ms. Madeline." Both maids chimed.

"Good morning Annie...Susan, how are you two this fine morning" I smiled.

The maids looked at me confused, no doubt for my choice of words. Okay, I admit it, I was totally acting weird, but what can I say? I was nervous.

After a brief moment and exchanged looks the maids smiled and confirmed that their day was, indeed, going well. The began to undress the bed, and suddenly I heard some shuffling from under the bed from across the room. I knew for a fact if I heard it, they heard it. I ran to my radio and blasted the music. The maids got startled. My hand slipped on the radio dial and opera started coming out of the speakers. I nervously tried to switch it to something else, but I never listen to the radio so I had no ideas know where to go. I quickly changed it again. MY eyes bulged when I changed it to some dude rapping in what I swear, sounded like Korean. I decided to give up and lower the volume down, but instead it kicked up louder. I switched the power button back and it wouldn't work either. In that moment it hit me, that's why I didn't bother to listen to this radio, the volume dial had a mind of its own, and the off side of the power switch was broken.

The noise was almost painful. I even saw Jarred stick his head out to give me a what the heck look. The maids from other rooms ran over squawking and trying to lower down the radio. I was seriously panicking now, and to top it off, in my struggle to control the crazy radio the Dean of the school walks into my room.

"Can someone please tell me what is going on here?" she demanded. Her neck was tense and her hands were balled into fists at her side. Her face read rage and indignation, and I knew I was in some deep crap.

The maids and I started babbling, trying to explain what was going on. She motioned with her hand for us to stop talking.

She walked over and yanked the cord from the wall. Well there's an idea.