chapter three: drive

Eddie ~
I open my eyes, and stretch. I'm not going to lie, Steve's bed is incredibly comfortable. I lay in the bed for a few minutes, dreading getting up. I finally stand up, and drowsily walk into the living room, looking around. "Eddie! You're awake! Finally." Robin exclaims. I rub my eyes and flop down at the kitchen table, next to Steve.

"You want some coffee?" I look at him and nod. "So, is the rumor true..?" Robin asks, smiling. "What? What rumor? What're you talking about? I don't-" "Calm down, Munson. She's talking about Family Video." Steve explains, handing me a mug. "Oh. I thought you were talking about... nevermind. Yeah, Steve said he would try to get me a job." I sip some coffee.

"I can call Keith, if you want. We're off today, so that's your only chance until Saturday." Robin offers. I nod. "Okay, what is with you two? You're being quiet, Eddie, and Steve.. you're just acting weird. Did something happen last night?" Nancy asks, standing up.

"Nothing happened. We just watched the birthday tape that you 'deleted'. Then we went to bed." Steve replies, placing his mug in the sink. Yeah, Steve, besides the crush that I've had on you for a few years, and the fact that somehow I make every conversation we have, awkward. Besides that, nothing at all! "Yep. Nothing happened." I add.

Robin shoots me a look. I look away from her death stare, standing up, and putting my mug in the sink. "I'll drive you guys back to the bar, so you can get your cars. C'mon." Steve says, grabbing his keys, and walking out the door. Nancy trails behind, while Robin stops me. "Did you guys kiss?" I look at her with a blank expression.

"No, Buckley, we did not kiss. Jesus." I walk outside, and she stops me again. "Are you sure? Is everything okay? Did-" "Nothing happened. I don't even have a crush on him, anymore. We're friends. That's it." I get into Steve's car, and Robin sits next to me. Nancy gets into the passenger seat, and Steve starts driving. "Oh, damnit!" Nancy yells.

"What?" Nancy looks back at Robin. "We were supposed to meet my parents for dinner last night. I totally forgot." I smile. "You two are dating..?" I ask. Nancy nods. "Any lucky guys, Eddie?" Robin asks. I know what she's doing. "It is an honor to date me, a high one, and no one has seemed to figure that out, so no, Robin, I am not. But relationships are time wasters, so I'm not exactly, worried." I hear a quiet sigh from the front.

I don't know if it was Steve or Nancy. "Well, Steve isn't dating anyone-" "Wow, that is a very interesting tree! You guys see that tree? Cool tree." I shout. Steve parks, and Nancy walks to her car, before Robin whispers "Shoot your shot." In my ear. She runs after Nancy. "Thanks for the ride." I say, opening my door.

"Yeah, yeah, no problem, man." I get out and get into my van. It's a pretty quiet ride home. My radio stopped working last week, which is shit, but it's a working vehicle, so I'm not complaining. I park and walk into my trailer.

My uncle isn't home. I greet my guitar, and sit down on my bed. I pick up my 'Lord of the Rings' book, that I have read at least 10 times, and start reading. My uncle won't be home until tonight. I'm bored out of my mind. I could go hang out with Max? Nope. She's at school.

I hear a knock at my door. I walk to the door, book still in hand. I open it to see Steve, holding my vest.

"I never returned it. I know it's kind of random to show up here, but I didn't have your number or anything. So um.. here. I washed it, and I only wore it a few times." He looks flustered.

Well, not exactly flustered, but his face is red.

Steve ~
"Nah, you can keep it, man. It's alright. Plus, you look good in it." WHAT? "Obviously, I didn't mean it like that-" "Yeah, yeah, of course." We stand there for a few seconds, in awkward silence. "Lord of the Rings? What's that about?" I ask.

"You've never read it? Here, read it, and tell em what you think, okay? It's a classic." He explains, handing the book to me. "Are you sure-" "Yeah! I've read it a dozen times."

I gently grab the book, and turn it over to scan over the back. "Yeah, I'll read it. Thanks. For the um.. vest. And the book." My whole thing is being cool; nonchalant, but when it comes to Eddie, I can't.

It's stupid.

He literally just said he thinks relationships are a waste of time. "Well, I should get going." I say. "Yeah, uh, bye." I smile. "Bye." I turn and walk towards my car. He shuts the door. Maybe I should tell him. No. Should I? Steve, just drive. I set the book, and the vest down in the seat next to me. I keep staring at his trailer. I'm sitting here, arguing with myself.

No. I start pulling out of the driveway, and stop at the stop sign. I glance over at the book. Before I know it, I'm running back to his porch. I knock on his door, anxiously. He opens it. "Did you forget something..?"

A/N: hey readers! this chapter is a little short, but i really wanted to leave you on a cliffhanger because well, i like leaving you all in suspense. much love♥️
words ~ 951