chapter five: quiet

Steve ~
"Wait.. WHAT?" I shout. Eddie's eyes widen. "You um.. you didn't know that, did you?" EDDIE HAS A CRUSH ON ME?! "No.. I didn't. I do now, though." I let out a small laugh, filling the overwhelming silence. "Welp, I'm an idiot." Robin knew?

And, she didn't tell me? It's fair, considering she didn't even know I had a crush on Eddie until I told her. I didn't know I had a crush on Eddie, until he gave that smirk. That powerful, taking-over-my-entire-soul, smile. Which was over a year ago. "Steve? You uh.. you alive over there?" I just don't understand why she wouldn't tell me. Robin tells me everything.

"Yeah. Just.. just thinking." It makes so much sense. That's why he went to the bathroom. When I started talking about that person asking me to marry her, he left. That's why he smiles like that. He gives Robin and Nance a normal smile, but with me.. it's brighter. It's sarcastic, but caring. Oh my god. "So, that's why-" "I left that night? Went to the bathroom? Yeah."

I should have told him sooner. I should have told him way sooner. "So, do you want a night to think this over..? I can give you some space-" "Yeah. I'm sorry." I reply. "Sorry? There's nothing to be sorry about. To be honest, I want a chance to process this too. It's a lot, Harrington. So um.. goodnight." Eddie says, walking away. I want to stop him, but he's right. It is a lot. I start walking back to my car.

I feel guilty.

I don't even know why. I didn't do anything wrong. Or, did I? Did I say something that made him upset? What time is it? I look down at my watch. "It's 11? What the hell?" I yell, running to my car. I have work tomorrow. I usually get up around 6, so I can pick Robin up, and still have time to drive to family video.

Once I get in my car, I start speeding home. I didn't think we'd been in the woods for that long. Maybe an hour, give or take? Not three! I already sleep like shit, so this isn't going to help. And, my stupid brain can't seem to let go of this whole 'Eddie' thing. I just need to sleep. That's it. It'll get my mind off of everything. I park in my driveway, and walk inside. Robin's sitting in my living room.

"What're you doing here? Why aren't you at your house? We have wo-" "Nance gave me a ride here. Did you two kiss?" I walk into my bedroom, kicking my shoes off. Robin stands in the doorway. "Steve, I need details. The good, the bad. Come on, give me something!" I lay down on my bed. "There's nothing to give, Robin. Just let me go to sleep, please." I hear the door shut. Good. Now I can-

"Scoot over, dingus." I look up, to see Robin, standing over me. "Oh my god." I scoff, making room for her. "I'm not sleeping on that uncomfortable couch of yours. It's like you stacked some cardboard boxes in a couch shape. It looks nice, though-" "You literally picked the couch out. I don't want to hear it. Now, be quiet." I shut my eyes. "Sorry. I don't like how quiet your room is. It's really unsettling. You should add a lamp in here. It's like a cave, and you're a vampire. I don't know if vampires sleep in caves. Do-"

"ROBIN!" I yell. "Okay, I'll be quiet. Jeez." I hear a small sigh. Then, a louder one. "WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?" I shout, looking over at her. "Why won't you tell me what happened with Eddie-" "It's not important. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, apparently Eddie told you about his crush on me, and you never told me."

Eddie ~
I wake up to the extremely loud alarm. First day. I get up, throwing on a random pair of jeans, and my hellfire shirt. I slide my shoes on, and grab my keys. I have never gotten up this early. Never. It's 7:00. I should be sleeping right now, but I have to go sell movies. I get into my van, and start driving. Why can't people just buy their own tapes? Not to mention, Steve, isn't going to talk to me at all.

Y'know because apparently he had a crush on me? Yeah. Yeah that totally makes sense. Oh, and then I ratted myself out. Yeah, I could have just let Steve talk, but no, Eddie had to say something. Jesus H. Christ. I'm a dumbass. I park in the parking lot, grabbing my keys, and walking inside.

"Steve, it's not like- Eddie. Hey, your vest is right here. Keith said he had to order your name tag so you'll just have to use the one that's already on the vest." I nod, and walk past Steve. "Oh, hell no. I'm not wearing this shit." I say, holding the vest up. "Do you want a job?" Robin asks. I put the vest on, letting out a sigh.

"All you have to do is just scan the movie, and ask for their name. Type it into the computer, tell them the price, put the money in the register, and that's about it. I mean, we do have to stack tapes on the shelves, too." Okay, pretty straightforward. "I'll be right back." Robin says, walking into a room. "So, uh.. pretty easy job, huh?" I ask, trying to avoid the awkward silence. "Yeah, yeah man." I flop down behind the counter, in a chair.

"So, have you thought about it?" I ask. "Thought about what?" Steve asks, placing some tapes onto a shelf. I give him a blank stare. "Oh. Yeah. I have." Robin walks back in the room. "You stopped talking. Are you guys mad at me? I know I can be a lot, and-"

"No one's mad at you, Rob. Eddie just asked me how to do something. I was helping him." Steve explains, not taking his eyes off of the shelf of tapes. "Oh, okay." Robin sits down next to me. Maybe he hasn't told her anything?

A/N: hey readers! i hope you all enjoyed this chapter! much love♥️
words ~ 1060