chapter seven: popular

song i was listening to while writing this: Lovers Rock by TV Girl (should i keep doing this for every chapter?)

Steve ~
"Do you remember when you grabbed my magazine back? From that asshole, Tommy?" Eddie asks. "I do." Eddie steps closer to me, grabbing a tape out of the box, and placing it on the shelf. "Still don't understand why you were friends with him." He adds.

"Once I won the first basketball game of the season, I was popular. And, the monthly donations from my dad, who I hadn't seen in about a year, didn't help much. People don't understand. You won't understand." I let out a sigh.

Once I became popular, it felt like I was on this stage, and the entire school was watching, waiting, for my next move.

Like I was a rare animal in an exhibit.

And, I got involved with some bad people. Like Tommy. "You're right, Steve. I don't understand. But, I could, if you would tell me why." He wouldn't get it, Steve. No one ever will. "Nothing. It's... nothing. We have to close soon. Help me finish stacking these." I grab one movie after another, making a neat stack.

You don't get to feel bad for yourself. You were an ass to everyone. Get over it. "Steve? You okay, man?" Eddie scans me, looking worried. "Yeah. Do you um.. do you want to talk about last night?" And, of course that's the only thing I can bring up.

"Yeah.. yeah, sure." Eddie replies.

"I don't know if I'm ready for anything serious right now. I know, I sound like an idiot, because I just told you that I liked you, and not a day goes by that the kids don't remind me of how stupid I am, so believe me, I already know that. I just didn't want it to affect anything between us. Like, us being friends. I'm sorry. I mean, I haven't been in a real relationship since.. high school." Eddie stares at me with a sincere look.

I can't tell if he's sad, or disappointe- "It's okay. I understand, Harrington. Just.... if anything changes, let me know. Hey, and, if you want me to wait, I'm not going anywhere. If you don't, then, well, you know." He gives me a small smile, and waves, walking out of the store doors.

"Damnit. EDDIE!" I yell, running after him. Why in the hell did I even say that? "What? Do I have to leave the vest here? I'm not gonna lie, it was growing on me-"

"Look, the truth is, I'm scared. Last time I was in a relationship, things went to shit. And, so, I gave up. So here I am, standing in front of you, telling you that I'm scared. I want to be in a relationship with you. I do, I swear, but, I don't want you to feel like... like I'm not enough." Eddie's eyes widen. His breath creates a misty cloud in the cold weather.

"Munson? Don't make me repeat all of that." No response. He just stands there, slowly blinking. "I'm sorry, and I know that was out of nowhere. And, I know I just contradicted everything I said inside, but I just needed you to know." I add.

"Steve, I wouldn't do that. Look, man, I'm not that type of person. And, I'm not going to make you feel like you're not good enough. That's just wrong." I step closer to him.

Our lips press together. He pulls away, smiling. "YOU TWO.... YOU TWO JUST KISSED?!" I hear a familiar voice screech. Dustin. I spin around, to see the kids, along with Dustin. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" I yell. Dustin walks towards me. "WE WANTED A RIDE TO THE STORE! NOT TO SEE YOU TWO MAKING OUT-" "YOU THINK I'M GONNA GIVE YOU GUYS A RIDE? YEAH, UH.. NO." Max bursts out laughing. She's the only one.

"Oh, come on. None of you think this is funny? We were literally talking about how they would never date, and here they are. I mean, the same thing happened with Will and Mike, so I'm not too surprised, honestly. I just think it's ironic." She explains. Eddie starts to laugh under his breath. "THIS IS NOT FUNNY!" I shout.

"WITH EDDIE? REALLY?" Dustin yells. "Are you not going to stop bothering me until I give you shitheads a ride?" They shake their heads. "Get in." I scoff, pointing to my car. They all start piling in. "So.. do you want to talk about this tomorrow?" Eddie asks. "Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Sorry. You know, I can call you when I get home, if you want? I still have your number from a few years back." I suggest.

Eddie smiles and nods, getting into his van. "Night, Harrington." He shouts across the parking lot. I smile. I get into my car and start driving to the nearest store. "So, we aren't going to talk about that?" Lucas asks. "There's nothing to talk about." I hear a loud sigh. "Why do you always have to date someone that I'm associated with? First it's my sister, now it's Eddie? I have to see him at hellfire!" Mike yells.

"Okay, listen up. If any of you have a problem with my private life, then, I suggest you find a different ride. Look, just because I found someone, doesn't mean you guys get to constantly mock me. I saved all of your asses multiple times, and I would do it again. So, I really don't want to hear your complaints. You are on the bench. That's it. I don't need your opinion. Understood?" I park in front of the store, and all of the kids run in, besides Will.

"I'm happy for you, Steve." I smile. "Thanks, man." Will gets out, and walks into the store. When did it get so cold? And, when did I agree to become a taxi driver that drives a bunch of annoying, ungrateful, kids around?

And, I don't get paid.

Eddie ~
When I get home, I sit by the phone for what feels like an entire eternity. Did he make it home? Is he okay? Was it all a joke? This feels weird. I mean, of course, I am the king of weird, but this is a different type of weird. A weird that I haven't felt before?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Different genres of weird. Hm. By now, I would have called Gareth, but he absolutely hates Steve. Apparently they had it out once in high school, and he's been trying to explode Steve with his mind ever since. I don't know what happened, nor do I want to know. What Steve did in high school barely involved me, and I don't want to see Steve in a different light.

Like that. I wouldn't usually think that. That's the weird I'm talking about. I don't know what this is. The phone starts to ring. I almost fall, answering it. "Hello?" I say.

"Hey Ed. I'm gonna be home real late tonight, mkay? Sorry kiddo. Look I've got to get back, but I just wanted to let ya know. Night, kid." The line goes silent. I slide back down the wall, leaning my back against it. Way to give my hopes up, Wayne.

I'm going to bed. Maybe he just forgot. I stand back up, and start walking to my room, until the phone rings again. "Wayne, I swear-" I pick up the phone. "Eddie? Are you there?" It's Steve. "So, you didn't forget about me, Harrington. How flattering." I say into the phone.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Munson. Sorry it took so long. The little shits wanted to stop at the gas station, and then I had to drop them all off at their houses." A smile spreads across my face. "Sounds like you have your hands full, Stevie. You're like a full-on mom now, huh?" I joke. "Oh, shut it, Munson."

A/N: hey readers! the long awaited kiss! and a longer chapter?! i hope you enjoyed reading! ill be posting more chapters on this fic since im taking a break from my other one, so be prepared for more chapters soon. much love♥️
words ~ 1381