𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊

• 𝓝𝓸𝓪𝓱 •

I didn't mind the fact that Luca was interested in Mae. I didn't even mind what he said to her, nor her reaction. In fact, it was a fantasy of mine to share a woman with my best friend.

What I did mind was the fact that I wasn't there to experience her reaction.

Luca eyed me. "What's the face for?"

I hummed and looked up at the sky as we walked to the market. "I don't know why I didn't expect you to fully jump in after I fed from her. And why it bothers me that I wasn't there."

"I didn't fully jump in." He smirked. "She's not ready for that yet. But I'll make it a point to do it when we're together. I guarantee it'll make her more flustered if you're there though."

I imagined that her eyes would widen and she would shoot a horrified look at me, her face reddening. And I'd just smile at her. I wouldn't help her. I wouldn't stop him. I wanted to be there so I could see her reaction to him.

I was not as good as Luca at talking dirty. But I did know that a "good girl" went a long way with her.

I first learned about that after we'd already come to South District. We were joking around and I said that she was such a good girl. She immediately went silent and pink tinged her cheeks. I tried it again a few weeks later, and got the same response.

She really was so easy to read.

"That's the point," I responded. "And when Kite gets it together, imagine her reaction then."

"I swear they'd just hate fuck all day." He laughed.

I snorted. Kite needed to be put in his place, and maybe she was the best person for it. When I first turned, Kite was...well, the Kite that Mae knew. A dick. Someone who had to put up a front to keep everyone in line. But that wasn't him, and he forgets that even though she's human, she's also someone he wants. 

He'd figure it out eventually.

Maybe.

We went through a few shops, looking for clothes and personal items for Mae. We were going to do that the day she shoved a fork in Zero's eye, but honestly at this point it would be safer for her to keep her in the room. It wouldn't be forever, and she had the choice whether she stayed in there or not.

On our way back, I glanced at Luca. "Do you think Seraph is looking after her?"

Luca's face screwed up. "He's as fucked up as Zero, if not worse. I hope not."

Seraph had been known to go off the deep end...a lot. If it was pre-vampire takeover, he would have been considered a serial killer. He lost his cool and killed, completely flaying open his victims and draining their blood - and he didn't always drink it. Sometimes he bathed in it.

He hadn't killed for almost six months.

I think the only reason he wasn't stopped was the fact that he only went off the deep end with people who "deserved" it. His own judicial system, Titus had once said.

He wouldn't kill Mae. But if she pissed him off, he'd break that six month streak on someone else, and it wouldn't be Zero either.

Monsters stayed together, even if one of those monsters killed other monsters.

I understood why Luca wouldn't want him close. But in all honesty, maybe he would be a good ally for her, as long as Seraph wasn't fully committed to Zero. That could take a turn for the worse.

As we neared the castle, I looked around at the humans. Some of them were familiar, others I knew from before I turned. Every single one of them refused to look me in the eye.