𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗

• 𝓜𝓪𝓮 •

I think the so-called truce Kite made with me was a lie, because the amount of times he threw me to the ground was enough to bruise my tailbone and my ego. Maybe he did it to make me lower my guard, but fuck my entire life he was doing everything he could to make sure I didn't land one hit on him.

After I had woken up and eaten breakfast, Noah brought me to Kite's office, where he explained he was going to show me basic self defense moves. At first I thought it was out of kindness and our new sense of "friendship", but honestly after fifteen minutes I decided he just wanted to kick my ass.

I glared up at him from the ground, refusing to take his hand.

Last time I took his hand, I somehow ended up on the ground again two seconds later.

"You suck at this," he said.

"Do you need a working dick," I asked, pushing myself up. "Because I'm thinking about testing my knife throwing skills sometime and see if I can hit right" - I closed one eye and pointed between his legs - "there."

Luca snorted from the other side of the room.

Kite sighed, ignoring both his friend and me. "How else am I supposed to know your limits?"

I stared at him. "Oh, I don't know. Ask? Hey, Mae, have you ever had any training in fighting before?"

He stared back at me, like he was wondering if the truce was a good idea. Or maybe he was debating on whether he wanted to start adding punching to the mix. So far, he had me try taking him down, and has had me try to block him from taking me down. All of which ended with me on the ground. We hadn't even gotten to the fighting portion.

We were alone, besides Luca and Noah sitting on the sidelines. I wasn't sure why they were there, besides maybe keeping me from killing Kite if he pushed me too far. And other than the fact that he was royally kicking my ass, he was acting nice.

Kite put his hands behind his back and nodded at me.

I looked to Luca and Noah for help because I genuinely had no idea what Kite was doing.

Luca tilted his head towards his friend. "Attack him."

I turned back to Kite, who just stood there, his face blank, hands behind his back, feet shoulder width apart. Almost like he didn't give a shit. Maybe he didn't.

I walked up to him and tilted my head up to look up into his eyes. He raised an eyebrow.

And because I thought it'd be funny - what could he possibly do besides toss me on my ass again - I pressed my body against his. My plan was to catch him off guard so I could kick his feet out from under him. Someone other than me needed to fall, and it would have been funny.

Except his expression changed and I was the one who was caught off guard. The normal hard expression he wore softened, his eyes widened, and I felt his body stiffen.

'Pay attention. He's awkward about it but it's so obvious.' The memory of what Noah had said filtered into my mind as we stared at each other.

I got myself together before he did, and I finally kicked my foot out and knocked him on his ass.

I knelt, tilting my head in a way that Noah and Luca couldn't see me speak. I kept my voice low as I teased, "Attracted to a human, Kite?"

He narrowed his eyes, but kept his mouth shut.

I widened my eyes. "Is that actually it?"

He looked away.

Oh...my...God.

I stood and backed a few steps away from him as he pushed himself to his feet.

How was that obvious up until that point? I was supposed to read between the lines of him being a douchebag? I wasn't aware we were in second grade and that's how we showed our affection.

I pinched my lips together to keep from saying it and turned away from him.

"I know what you're thinking," Kite said.

I looked over my shoulder at him. "Guarantee you don't."

"Why did I act like an ass," he guessed.

I hummed. Good guess.

"I'm watched all the time," he said. "Even when I don't think I am. I cannot be nice to humans, Mae. Not in front of other vampires."

"How do you know you're not being watched now," I asked.

"I built this room." He shrugged. "Only I have a key to it, and if anyone tries to break in, I have an alarm set. It's soundproof as well, so I can talk and do as I please."

I pointed to Noah and Luca.

"They don't even have a key," he said.

That was interesting, to say the least.

"And why can't you be seen being nice to humans?" I knew he had an image to uphold. I got that. Leaders held the metaphorical whip against their cattle, and he was the face.

He was quiet for a moment. "Kindness to the sheep shows weakness as a lion."

I shook my head. "Vampires are not lions. Nor are you looked at with respect by your so-called sheep. Humans hate you. Hate your father."

He nodded, like this was no news to him. Of course it wasn't. There were humans that were openly hostile towards the vampires in South District. But they couldn't really do anything besides spew heated words that the vampires merely laughed at. Humans were weaker than vampires, so even if a human actually lashed out, they wouldn't make it far.

"Zero is threatening my position, as well as my father's." Those words made me pause, staring at him. "Any sign of weakness, especially now, would mean either Zero or his father will take over. You think the idea of Lucifer is bad?"

"Though he's found one of your weaknesses," Luca chimed in.

We both looked at him, but he only stared at me.

I shook my head again. "I'm not his weakness."

"You are," Kite said. "Which is why I'm trying to train you. Because if one of us isn't there and Zero attacks you, I want you to have a fighting chance."

Honestly, I was speechless. He didn't even hesitate to admit that I was a weakness of his, and why? Why was I a weakness? From the outside, no one would be able to tell his feelings. I sure as hell couldn't.

"How would he know," I asked.

"Because," he said, "I used to be his friend too."

*****
A/N: Happy New Year and stuff 🎉