Chap. 6 🔥

"Excuse me, what?" Hawks couldn't believe his ears. Best Jeanist was one of his good friends, and this psycho wanted him dead? By the winged hero's hands?

"Knew he wouldn't do it," Shigaraki breathed out, unimpressed, "Alright, either you leave here and tell no one, or I will kill you, hero."

"Hey, I never said no, it's just a bit extreme, don't you think? I could like, give you information on certain agencies or something. Why are we immediately resulting to murder?"

"Because it's the most certain way that I can judge whether you are actually trustworthy. You could be giving us some bullshit info for all I know."

"Alright, fine. I'll do it," Hawks sighed, feeling a sense of déjà-vu.

"I underestimated you, hero."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

After a few questions, Hawks learned that he would meet a certain Dabi when he retrieved the body. The name rung a bell, but he didn't know why. The plan was that the next day, around noon, Hawks would head over to Best Jeanist's house, kill him and bring the bag with his body to Dabi, who would be waiting in the old Nomu factory near where the fight between All Might and AFO took place. The No.2 was slightly reluctant at first, the idea of killing a friend sickening, but he had to gain the trust of these villains.

                                   ~~~•~~~

The Fibre hero gladly opened the door for Hawks, who just to "talk". The former invited him in, offering some tea or coffee. He refused, insisting he had to leave soon. Best Jeanist understood, knowing his friend was a busy man. But he also the regretful look in his eyes.

"Hawks? Is everything okay?" he asked, concerned.

"I'm sorry, Tsunagu..." the other responded, guilt in his voice, before throwing a feather towards his neck. It was so fast that he could barely see it as it knocked him out cold.

Knowing he wouldn't wake up for another day or two, Hawks stuffed him in a duffel bag and headed towards the factory. He wasn't dead, but his heart rate dropped and his breathing was unnoticeable unless you inspected thoroughly. Which Hawks really hoped Dabi wouldn't do. As he arrived at the building, he saw what looked like a pillar of blue light, probably acting as a signal. When he got closer, he realized it was actually a beam of blue flames. He instantly remembered who Dabi was. A string of curses left his mouth as he flew down to meet the other.

"Dabi," Hawks stated once he was on the ground, facing a dark-haired man.

"Pro hero Hawks," he answered, smirking, "How we meet again."

"I would not have accepted this if I'd known you were the one I had to give the bag to."

"You hurt my feeling. Now where is it?"

A dark blue duffel bag was dropped at his feet, as well as the feather used to do the job. Dabi smirked, grabbing the sack easily and walking towards the exit.

"Hey. If you do any alterations to his body, I will personally slit your throat," Hawks added, pointing a feather-blade at the villain, "The man deserves a respectful death."

"Mhm, sure, whatever you say, birdie," Dabi waved dismissively. He discarded of the body bag, throwing it in the rubble of the place, "You coming with, or are you gonna stay here and mourn your poor, poor friend?"

Hawks glared at him, annoyed at the careless actions of the man in front. To be fair, he was in the League and expecting any kind of manners from him was almost ridiculous. The hero grumbled a few words, before extending his wings and dropping out of the nearest window. Dabi stopped in his track, a flash of worry in his eyes, when he remembered that Hawks had wings, and having wings meant flying was a possibility. It was weird. Usually, he wouldn't care less if someone threw themselves out of a 5-storey building but Hawks? He got scared. And maybe it was because of their past friendship, but it was still unusual.

                                 ~~~•~~~

Back at the base, Hawks was greeted by a very energetic teenager, who was raving all about how tasty his blood would be. Quite creeped out, he pushed her away gently, not wanting to hurt or upset her. Who knows what Shigaraki would do if he bothered any of the members?

"Toga, lay off him," a guy who was literally a giant walking-talking lizard said.

"But I bet his blood would taste just like that little birdie's that I had a long time ago! Or as I like to say, yummy!" the girl, who's name was apparently Toga, exclaimed. She giggled, glancing at Hawks with a big grin plastered on her face.

Dabi walked in, closely followed by Shigaraki, who seemed to be in a good mood. The former walked to the bar, sat down, and proceeded to glare at the hero. Shigaraki, on the other hand, was congratulating him on the success of the mission, and how good it would be to have a spy amongst the heroes. Hawks, feeling mildly uncomfortable, nodded his head, trying to back up from both Toga and Shigaraki simultaneously. He felt a firm hand grip his shoulder, pulling him away from the two closing in on him.

"Uh dude, what are you doing?" the hero asked, unsure of where he was headed to.

"I just saved like half of your sanity, or at least half of what's left, you should show a little gratitude," Dabi scoffed.

"Ouch. No need to remind me of my insanity like that. But thanks, I guess?"

"Whatever."

In that moment, something about the scarred man was very familiar to Hawks, although he couldn't pinpoint what. Maybe it was the bright blue eyes, or the messy, spiky hair, or even the posture. Maybe they'd been friends before, coworkers, teammates. He didn't know what it was, but the familiarity of this guy bothered him. And he was determined to find out why.

A/N: shorter chapter here, i just had no idea what to write at the end, so it kinda gets sloppy. anyway, enjoy!