Chap. 12 🔥

For the next few weeks, any interaction between the winged hero and the villain became rare, mostly due to Hawks feeling too awkward to start an actual conversation. No one seemed to notice the glances that Dabi shot towards him. Toga found their silence suspicious, as they were always arguing, but didn't say anything. She knew Dabi wouldn't tell her if something was wrong, and she was pretty Hawks didn't like her. What she could mention though, was Twice and Hawks' growing friendship. The girl was wary of the hero, but he seemed legitimately nice to her best friend, so she did lower her guard a bit.

It'd only been a month since Shigaraki was gone, and everyone in the hospital base were becoming more and more nervous. As soon as he was back, they'd all declare war on the heroes, and everyone had to fight. The only comfort any of them had, was Hawks fighting on their side. Or, well, that's what they thought. He was also dreading the approaching day, although for a different reason. He'd been brainstorming ways to fake Twice's death, since he couldn't bring himself to face the idea of killing a friend. Again. He was unsuccessful for the most part, but driven by the fact that he wouldn't hurt him.

The hero was gone more frequently now, and for longer periods of time. When he was asked about it, he'd say the commission was becoming suspicious of his absences and he had to reassure them. It wasn't completely false, since he was going to the heroes, but he went to give them information. Hawks didn't want the war to happen. He wanted everyone to mind their own business and ignore the opposing side. Too many people would get hurt if they actually went through with this.

What he didn't know, was that his efforts of bringing peace would be in vain.

~~~•~~~

"What do you mean, tomorrow?" the winged hero exclaimed.

"Exactly that. We are sending all the heroes we have to storm Jaku hospital and eliminate the villains before they have a chance to strike. Mirko is on her way now to find Tomura Shigaraki," Commissioner Gordon said, calmly flipping through some documents.

"I don't- I don't get it. I specifically said that we shouldn't engage with them."

"And I ignored you. It's a stupid idea."

"It's better than leaving all of Japan unsupervised!"

"That's why we'll be sending some UA students. That way, we'll be able to spare some heroes for patrols and things like that. Plus, the police officers will be on duty."

"Now you're telling me that you're sending inexperienced kids into a warzone?! What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Now, now, that is no way to speak to your boss. They're perfectly capable of being in battle. We just won't send them to the frontlines."

"They are in high school. You are already basically making them child soldiers. Which makes you, sir, a fucking monster. No offense."

With that, Hawks walked out and slammed the door behind him. He couldn't believe it. First, they wanted to start the war earlier, then they wanted him to kill someone AND they wanted kids on the battlefield? He couldn't even do anything about it, or he'd be risking his life. The only option he had was to go through with the damn plan. He knew that night would be a sleepless one.

~~~•~~~

The city awoke to a beautiful day. The sky was blue, littered by small, snow white clouds. Every hero in Japan was getting ready for work when a notification went off on all registered 'hero phones'. Confusion arose, especially when the same message was displayed.

"Attention heroes! Today is a very special day, as most of you will be stopping a high-level threat before it can even start. All, except a select few, are to meet behind Jaku Hospital, at the border of the forest. Thank you for your cooperation and good luck!"

Hawks was right. He didn't get a wink of sleep. Twice had been haunting his mind. How was he supposed to kill him? Such a nice, innocent man and he was doomed to die today. The winged man had to stop thinking about it before he chickened mid-fight.

As he was racing through the air, Dabi plagued his thoughts. How would he react? What if he got really mad and became even more dangerous than Twice? What then? He shook his head, wondering why he even cared.

He didn't have time to think too much, as the signal of the raid went off. He didn't have a plan yet, but Twice couldn't die by his hand.

~~~•~~~

A/N: Another short chapter, I was just taking too long to write it. I'll start going back to the 1k chapters soon