1. Meeting

The only thing 10-year-old Adam Banks loved was hockey. Everyone knew it was the reason the boy got up in the morning. Adam had been a forward on the Hawks since he could skate. He met his two best friends, Larson and McGill, and knew he was set for life. All he needed was hockey and his best friends.

That was until Adam laid eyes on Flora Jackson. The also 10-year-old had moved to Edina, Minnesota in the house right next to Adam only a few weeks prior to Thanksgiving. On the holiday while Adam was tossing around a football with his cousins, he saw her. Flora was standing on her porch wearing a crimson dress that went down to her knees. Her dirty blonde hair and green eyes glistened in the sunlight. Adam knew from that moment that he loved her.

After Thanksgiving break, Adam looked around the school to find the new girl. He hadn't realized that Flora sat in the very back row of his science class. Adam took this as the perfect opportunity to talk to her. After class one day he made his way to the back of the classroom while Flora packed up her things.

"Hey, I'm Adam. You're new, right?" He asked the girl. She nodded her head.

"I'm Flora. Do you live on Hennepin Road? I feel like I've seen you in the neighborhood."

"Yeah, I do. Do you live in the big white house at the end of the street?" He asked. Flora nodded again with a small smile. "I live in the blue house next door." He replied. Flora grabbed her bag and stood up.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around, Adam." Flora walked out of the classroom and into the hallway. Adam followed shortly after her. His heart was beating so fast that he needed to stand still in order to not pass out. No one had ever made Adam feel this way. Sure he's had some crushes before but it never felt like this. Adam was down bad.

A few days later, after getting into an argument with his father, Adam needed to clear his head. He grabbed his skates, his stick, and a puck and headed down to the pond near his house. The last few weeks had been cold in Minnesota, so the pond was already frozen over. As Adam approached the ice, he saw a small figure skating around. As he got closer, he realized that it was Flora.

She wore a pair of black hockey skates and a jacket that read "Jackson #28" on the sleeve. With a stick in her hand, the girl sprinted around the pond and shot pucks into an imaginary goal. Each time the puck hit the edge of the pond, she threw her arms in the air with delight. Adam enjoyed watching her. The only thing that could make Flora more perfect was her being a hockey player.

Once Adam was geared up, he skated over to Flora. She was out of breath from the several sprints she had just done across the ice. Even though she was sweaty and had her hair in a messy ponytail, Adam still thought she was pretty.

"Those shots were awesome. You should join my hockey team." He told Flora, smiling. Flora seemed a bit unsure. It was like she wanted to say yes but couldn't find the right words.

"I don't know. I'm sure everyone already has a place on the team. I would hate to just barge in." she told him. Adam knew that he had to find a way to convince her to join the team. Her shots were exactly what the Hawks needed, plus Adam wanted to see more of the girl.

"C'mon, everyone on the team is awesome. That's how I met my best friends, Larson and McGill and I'm sure you would get along great with them." Adam told her with a big smile. He was hoping his enthusiasm would be enough to convince her. Flora let out a puff of air and subtly nodded her head.

"Ok, I guess I'll join the team." She stated hesitantly. In his mind, Adam was jumping up and down but he wanted to keep his cool in front of Flora. Adam knew Flora wouldn't regret her choice. In just one week Flora Jackson would officially be a Hawk.

"Our first practice is next Thursday at four. We practice at the rink on Main Street." Adam told her. "You wanna play some 1v1? I also have a pretty good shot if I don't say so myself." Flora chuckled.

"You're on." Adam and Flora stayed at the pond until the street lights came on. It's unclear who won the very competitive game.

Flora completely blew Coach Reilly's mind and the rest of the Hawks. Not only was she an amazing scorer, but a great defender as well. Coach Reilly assigned her to front right wing and a backup defender. With Adam as the center and Larson as the left wing, the Hawks were sure to have a great season with their new #28, Flora Jackson.