9. North Stars

It had been four days since Adam broke the news to Flora about Larson and McGill. She had felt so betrayed and confused. After they had been outside for a few minutes Adam brought Flora back inside and up to her room. He stayed with her until she calmed down and finally fell asleep. Before going back home he left a note for her to call when she woke up and kissed her on the head.

Flora was feeling a lot better after taking some time to process the fact that her friends didn't want her anymore. Coach Bombay had invited the whole team to a North Stars game which she knew would lift her mood. 

All the tweens began looking around in amazement as they entered the arena. The North Stars were warming up while the stands were starting to fill. Flora and Adam had gone to plenty of games together over the past two years, but Flora really enjoyed seeing how excited the other Ducks got seeing such a big arena for the first time.

"What are we doing here?" Charlie asked Coach Bombay while everyone else was still marveling.

"Just a little playoffs present." Bombay led everyone over to the ice where the North Stars were coming off after their warm-ups. The Ducks formed a line to high-five each player as they skated off.

"Hey Gordo," One of the players said. "Gordon Bombay, right?" Flora was shocked that one of the North Stars knew Coach Bombay.

"You remember me?"

"Of course. This guy used to rule in Pee Wees." He smiled.

"Oh yeah?" One of the other players asked. "I heard you were a farmer."

"Actually I became a lawyer, but I'm coaching Pee Wee now and this is my team, The Ducks." Bombay introduced. "Ducks, this is Basil McRae and Mike Modano." The whole team already knew they were. Basil McRae was Flora's favorite player of all time. She felt starstruck just to be in his presence.

Adam was also freaking out internally. He tried to play it cool but it was obvious to everyone that he was secretly fangirling. He knew Flora wouldn't judge him for being so in awe, but he wanted Flora to have the moment. Adam was doing his best to make sure everything was going well for her. Surely meeting her idol and feeling like she was the only one in the room with him would help her forget about Larson and McGill.

"Hey Ducks, listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about." The comment from Basil made Bombay feel like a million bucks. "If you ever want a shot, I'll get you a tryout in the minor league clubs." 

"Wow, thanks!" Coach beamed. He shook hands with the two players and they followed the rest of their team back into the locker room. Bombay turned around to face the Ducks before leading them to the bleachers. "All right, let's have some fun!"

Coach had somehow arranged for the Ducks to skate before the game started. They all sat on the bleachers and tied up their skates. Some of them put pads on so they could play a game of 3v3. While Flora was tying her laces, Adam walked over and sat next to her.

"That was pretty cool. He said with an excited look on his face.

"I know!" Flora gushed. "I can't believe Coach Bombay knows Basil Mcrae, he's like my idol."

Adam began to smile even more. He was glad that Flora was feeling so much better from the night before. He couldn't stand to see her like that again. 

The whole group went out onto the ice and started their usual shenanigans. Connie and Guy were skating around while holding hands, Charlie and some of the other guys were racing around the rink, Flora and Adam were practicing shooting while everyone else played 3v3. For some of the Ducks, this may have been time to relax, but not for Flora and Adam. They practiced every second they could and never took a day off.

After their ice time, the Ducks went up to their seats to watch the game. The team took up two full rows of the stands. Flora felt bad for the people sitting around them. The Ducks could get very loud. She heard Charlie scream and looked over to see him pointing at the jumbotron. There was a huge sign that read "Welcome Gordon Bombay and The Ducks". Flora practically jumped out of her seat.

At the end of the first period, Adam turned to look at the row across from him where he saw Larson and McGill. He wanted to hide himself, but he wanted to hide Flora more. Seeing the two of them was exactly something that would send Flora into a spiral. 

Larson held up a finger gun towards Adam and pretended to shoot him. Adam slouched down in his seat and put his hand up next to his face. Flora noticed Adam's sudden change in behavior.

"Are you ok?" She questioned him.

"Uh yeah, I'm fine. Just tired is all." Adam was glad that Larson and McGill had sat down so Flora couldn't see them. The problem was Flora definitely wasn't buying the being tired thing. A few minutes before he had been jumping up and down when the North Stars scored. 

"You can't be tired at a North Stars game." She informed him. "They'll score another point soon and get back to jumping."

"Yeah, you're probably right." He told her. Adam wasn't tired at all. He knew they were about to score again and he couldn't stop himself from cheering as loud as possible. But in the back of his mind, he was still thinking about Larson and McGill.