take flight.

a/n: wattpad is so weird,,,, okay so scrap metal is supposed to be after fallout. and it is!! but i published both at once as a double update, right, and ig because i selected scrap metal first n then fallout, it gave yall a notif like scrap metal was before fallout???? i thought it'd notify yall in the order of chapters??? (at 3am on 12/12 i just found out that it??? prolly reset ALL of my em-dashes to small en-dashes??????? i think the reason was that i changed my font on mobile and it did that but like,,, Whyyyyyyyy)

anyway i hope you enjoy reading !!! and happy new years on the est side

===

Tommy wakes up in his house at ass 'o' clock in the morning, and the first thing he thinks is that mining for random shit all night is tiring because his limbs feel numb, sore, and tingly. That isn't too new; he's far used to waking up with aching limbs and exhaustion still weighing on his shoulders. It just fucking sucks.

The next thing he feels is his instinct gut, which has been bothering him every since the fucking Sports Festival, is acting up again. So, naturally, Tommy does not panic because he is a Big Man who can handle this shit, instead scouring his memories for what the fuck is up today. The only thing important it can dreg up is that Iida's been acting weird and that today is the day that his class is going to their fucking internships.

Which Tommy isn't allowed to go to.

...He stares up at his ceiling for a long, long time.

===

5:03

<big man> Cancel the fuckin inernships

<big man> *Internships

<big man> Whatever the fuck

<rat man> Oh? Why so?

<big man> Something isnt fuckign right today

<big man> I'm being genuine right now

<big man> Something isnt fucking right, nd it;s on a USJ scale

<rat man> Are you absolutely positive?

<big man> WOULDNT BE FUCKIN TELLIN YOU THIS IF I WASNT NOW WOULD I

Tommy erases that before he sends it. He takes a breath, focuses on the ways his eyes strain due to the light coming from his communicator's screen, and types again.

<big man> YES I am fucking positive

<big man> If you cant, least tell Iida sone bullshit excuse to not go

A little icon pops up to show Nedzu typing. It doesn't disappear until minutes after Tommy sends his last message.

<rat man> Unfortunately, the internships cannot be delayed. With the USJ incident and the catastrophe that was the Sports Festival, the Hero Course's education, specifically Class 1-A's, has already been pushed back repeatedly. Despite U.A.'s—and therefore my—reputation, I do not think I can convince the Board of Education to give your students more days off. They cannot and will not believe your gut instinct; even most of the staff here would not believe you.

Nedzu himself scarcely does, then. It's reasonable. He barely has reason to. Tommy is just a ragtag vigilante they'd caught—it's a miracle he's trusted at all. The only person who might truly believe him is Aizawa, and even then the underground hero bases most of his decisions on logic. Tommy hopes that though his instincts may not be as honed, Aizawa trusts them as much as Tommy does his own.