Chapter 7

Melissa - Confident by Demi Lovato

Saturday, the day that I go on a date with Jonathan Toews.

I stood outside the RPM Italian waiting for him to show up. I am not a fancy person at all, and this place still looks fancy in my books. I had on a black long sleeve dress that went down to just below my knees. The dress had a sequin look to it to make it sparkle. I had on my blue puffy jacket as it was still freezing in Chicago. I had on small black heels that looked like pumps as I could not walk in heels for my life. My hair was straightened more than it normally is, and I had on a light face of makeup. I didn't bring a purse as I just didn't trust myself to not forget it. And I had a jacket to place my key and wallet in. Didn't need anything else for this night nor did I plan to touch up my makeup at all.

I looked down at my toes to make sure they weren't blue as I didn't have any tights at home since my last pair ripped and I didn't get a chance to go out to buy more. I looked up to see him getting out of his car at the valet parking. I watch him hand the keys to the person working before turning around to see me. I saw that he had a small bouquet in his hand. "Good evening, Melissa." He said and presented me with the flowers.

"Good evening Mr. Toews," I said to him as I took the flowers from him. I did a quick check of him with my eyes. He was wearing a suit with a white button-down and a tie. Defiantly the most dressed-up person I ever went out to dinner with. "You look rather sharp today." 

"Well thank you and might I say you look gorgeous." He said before sticking his arm out for me to hook his arm.  "Let's head inside so you don't have to be out in the cold anymore." 

At first, I was hesitant but then I locked my arm with his and went inside the restaurant. We go the hostess stand and the worker took us to our table which was in the back corner of a room. The place was crowded and busy, but the interior design of the place was clean and nice.

Jonathan pulled out my chair and waited for me to sit before assisting in pushing the chair in before going over to his chair and sitting down. I put the flowers on the side of the table as I didn't trust them not to get ruined if I were to place them on the floor. I took off my coat and placed it over my legs to try to warm them up. 

A waiter came up to us. "What can I get you two to start drinking tonight? We got a great selection of wines." He said as he handed us the menus, he had given them to us with the back side up. The back of the menu was the drinks with cocktails, beer, wine, and other.

"I'll start with a Peroni Italian Lager," Jonathan said to the waiter.

"Well of course and for you Miss?" The waiter asked me as he wrote down what Jonathan wanted.

I stared at the back of the menu that had all the drinks. My mind was thinking one thing, but I knew I had to get something else. "Could I do the Waitlist cocktail but make sure it is non-alcoholic."

"Of course, that already comes alcohol-free, but I will make that note for the bartender. I'll get the drinks in."  The waiter said as he finished writing down the order before walking away 

"You sure you don't want a glass of wine?" Jonathan asked before opening up the menu he was holding.

"No, I'm good, I don't like wine," I said to him which was far from the truth. I opened up the menu. The prices seemed reasonable for 95% of the stuff. I know he mentioned when we text, he would pay, but I still didn't want him spending much on me. Besides, if I could, I would want to try to just pay for my portion of the bill when the waiter asks if it's together or not.

I looked at the menu and decided in my mind with the Carbonara. I loved pasta and I didn't see my go-to of fettuccine alfredo, but I was open to trying something different. I closed my menu and set it down on the table.

"Already know what you want?" Jonathan asked me as he was still looking at the menu.

"Yeah, I have," I asked as I grabbed my water cup that was on the table to take a sip out of it. 

The waiter came back and placed the drinks down in front of us. "Have you decided on what you two are getting?" He asked, reaching for his notepad.

"She does so start with her, and I'll decide." Jonathan said with his head still on the menu.

"Alrighty, and what can I get you today, Miss?" He asked me as he opened up the notepad holder.

"I'll do just an order of the carbonara," I said to the waiter. 

I wait until he finished writing before handing him the menu. He placed the menu under his arm and turned to Jonathan. "And what about you sir?"

"I'll do Center Cut 8oz, Filet Mignon." He said to the waiter before closing his menu and handing it to him. The waiter nods before walking away to his station.

I looked at the drinks in front of me, I grab my glass. "Well, I would like to propose a toast," I said, and Jonathan picked up his glass. "A toast to a good night and getting to know each other over good food. For as our paths crossed, to lead us to this table on this night. Na Zdrowie!" I could see him smile as I finished what I was saying before we clinked our glasses. I took a sip from the straw of my drink before putting it down on the table.

"I'm guessing that's cheers?" He said to me before taking a sip of his drink.

"Yes, cheers in Polish," I said to him. "Now tell me about yourself, Mr. Toews."