Chapter 8

Jonathan's P.O.V. | Crush by David Archuleta

I almost choked on the sip of the drink I had. Did she just ask me to tell me more about myself? Was this a test? I mean anyone can look me up. Yet maybe she didn't look at anything about me before today.

"Well, I'm from Winnipeg, Canada where I grew up playing hockey. I move to Chicago in 2007 at age 19 when I was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks. I became captain a year later. I got a younger brother named; David who is two years younger than me. What about you?"

"Well, Mr. Toews, I'm from Minneapolis, Minnesota but because my dad was in the military we moved around a lot. Illinois, Indiana, and Florida just to name a few but Texas was the longest and the place I just moved from. Came to Chicago in hopes of starting a new life, with what seems to be a great job, and to just have a fresh slate at age 22." She said but you could almost see the pain in her eyes when she said the last part.

"You know you don't have to call me Mr. Toews or Mr. Jonathan. Jonathan is just fine. I won't take offense if you call me Jonathan." I said to her, the age difference was probably why she called me Mr. Toews but I'm only two years older than her, or maybe her nerves that she was trying to hide.

"My apologies." She said as she put her head down towards the table like she was ashamed.

"So, what made you want to move to Chicago?"

"Oh, the place I just started to work at had this position here in Chicago and down in Houston. Considering I wanted to get as far away from Texas as possible. I asked if I could work out of Chicago. Besides, when I was little, we live in North Chicago for about a year and my dad took my brother and me to the United Center in the early day of the stadium to see the Bulls. I like the area and needed to get away from Texas heat as well."

"Ah, so basketball is your sport of choice then?" I said as I carefully take the silverware out of the napkin and put the napkin on my lap. 

"No, I don't like basketball but that's what my household was. I never watched any other sports game after I moved out of my dad's house until your home opener when my coworker took me. Seats near the glass which was crazy the number of times y'all body slam each other. Suprise there aren't more injuries in hockey."

I felt the hairs on my arms spike up, like spidey senses starting to form. I have to play the cards right as she would know I was there that night. But she just confirmed that she was there that night in the stands, even possibly in the spot that I saw her in. I took a moment to gather the words I want to say. "Yeah, hockey can be crazy with how intense some guys can get towards others. You can probably tell just from that game how crazy the fans are with the game. In the stadium where you and your coworkers sitting if you don't mind me asking?" I said to her. I figure I wanted her to say where they were they were sitting. 

"We were the first level; I think section 104. Here I have a picture from where we were sitting to show the view I had." She said before going into her jacket pocket and grabbing her phone. I was trying to picture where she was saying they were sitting before she showed me the picture. She handed me her phone to see the photo. 

"Yeah, that's section 104. Your coworker hooked you up with good seats." I said looking a bit harder in the picture and seeing this photo was focused on me as she took this picture when Kaner was talking to me, probably about her. I handed her phone back to her. "I did see you in the stands but was unsure as there were so many people."

She takes her phone back and it looked like she scrolled quickly. "Did you see these two near me?" She asked as she showed me a new picture which was a photo of her and her two coworkers with the ice in the background. 

"It's hard to say as it was only a glance, but I do think I saw that one with the long black hair."

She short laugh as she locked her phone and put it back in her coat pocket. "Ah yes, Victoria. You take her anywhere and you got everyone looking at her. One of the few things I have observed being with her." She said before taking a sip of her drink.

I felt my face go a bit warm. I had no words to say but luckily the waiter came out with our food. He placed our food down before walking away. I looked up to see that she was just sitting there as almost if she was waiting.

"You can dig in...you don't have to wait for me," I said to her as I picked up my fork. I saw her not move but look down at her lap. "Melissa, I promise you don't have to wait for me. Dig in." I said as I wasn't annoyed that she wasn't touching her food, almost concerned. She picked her fork up and started to take small bites but spacing them out.

"So how much of Chicago have you seen since you started living here?" I asked her trying to get an idea of how much she knows Chicago.

"I've seen lower Wacker way too well because I got lost down there and went in a circle five times. Other than that it's just watching the GPS to know where I'm going. I'm guessing you are a pro at this city?" She commented on the situation.

"I would say pro but good enough to give a tour but not with all those historical facts," I said to her and I could hear a small laugh from her.

"Well, maybe you'll have to give a tour."

We kept talking for what felt like hours just about random stuff but she brought up anything about me being famous. The waiter came to remove our plates, "One check or two?" He asked us. I did say when we were texting, I was going to pay but before I could say anything Melissa told him two.

"I told you I was going to pay for you," I said to her. I wasn't mad or anything just a bit shocked.

"Technically that's when you suggested that other place, not here." She quickly fired back, and I never did specify which place.

"If you say so, but if we go on a second I am paying," I told her.

Once the bills were paid. I stand up and held my arm out to her.  She latches on. "Well thank you for a lovely night," Melissa said to me as we headed out of the restaurant, Melissa's arm and I locked together. 

"Don't worry about it. Let me take you to your car." I said being the gentleman I was. I could see Melissa's body movement change in a flash when I said that.

"Oh, I took the bus here as my car broke down this morning and I was unable to go to the shop. I can let you go once the valet brings your car back up." She said as we stopped in front of the valet stand. 

"It is a cold Chicago night. I'm not going to let you take the bus. Where do you live? I will be glad to take you home." I said to her before letting the man know which key set was mine. 

"I'm fine taking the bus; I don't want to inconvenience you." She said as she lets her arm slip out of mine. 

Without thinking, I instantly grabbed her hand, and she flinched. "I promise you; you won't be inconveniencing me," I said as I had a crush on her now. I didn't want this night to end because for once, I got to talk to a girl who wanted to know Jonathan and not Captain Serious. The valet man pulls up in my car and gets out, leaving the car running. I opened up the passenger door. 

She stood there for a moment as a light snow started to fall. "You're sure?" She asked me with a very serious tone.

"I'm positive," I said to her. She then got into the car, and I close the door after her. I get in and drive her back to her place.