Chapter 3

Melissa's P.O.V. | Ready or Not by WAR*HALL

I rush to my van side door and get inside of the van before turning it on to get the cabin warm. It was 20 degrees outside, and I was cold. I was walking info most places with a thick jacket on and even at that I'm freezing. 

I pull my phone out to check my emails to see if any new calls have come in. It was my second day in the field all alone. I was a complete nervous wreck. I thought I was going to get more than a week of training with Michael, but I guess not. I see an email asking for an ETA about a call, the United Center call. I was confused as that was Michael's call, but I see he is gone today so it got transfer to me. 

It's just replacing the parts we ordered, and I wasn't too far from the office which was on the way over to the United Center. I called Jason to let him know the parts are in and I could stop by to replace them if they were still open in the next hour. He said they were before hanging up the phone.

I pull away from this site and head towards the office. Once at the office, I go in and grab the parts I needed from Michael's bin since they didn't move them over to my bin. I scan them in to make sure they were the correct ones, which they were before bringing the two boxes out to my van. 

Once the boxes were in the van, I set out to the United Center. You can tell the pregame Hussle as these paid lots around the place were getting ready for whatever event was going on tonight. Based off some of these people's hats, I would guess the bulls. I pull into the same lot I was in with Michael and gather my tools. I go to the door and text Jason that I had arrived. He opens the door and I put my toolbox inside before going back to the van to grab the parts needed. 

Once I got back into the building, he closed the door and I take the parts down the printer. I go back up to grab my tools. I start unscrewing the panel to get to the used fuser in the machine. I do undo what I need to so I can get this old fuser out. Once out, I open the box for the new one and unpackage it before putting it in the machine. I then start working on the getting the old drum out of the printer to replace it with the new drum. I put the old drum in the box and make sure everything in the machine was cleaned. 

I put the panel on to test the machine. Test print works and comes out clean. I knock on Jason's door and have him print something he was printing prior to the problem last week. He sent the job to the machine, and it came out clean. He gives his nod of approval, and I finished the job by screwing the panel on since I had just temp place it for him to test.

I grab the boxes for the used parts I had used and take them out to my van. I put the boxes on the floor so I could open the doors. Once they were opened, I put them on the floor and slid them to the back before jumping up into the van and putting them in my used corner. I then pull my phone out to put my remarks for the call in.

"I think you left this," A male voice said to me from behind me.

I turned around to see a man about six foot standing there, holding my toolbox. I was not happy that someone decided to mess with my equipment, especially at a customer site. Yet I didn't let that show on the outside, after all this was probably someone who uses the printer at this site. I turned my phone off and put it in my back pocket. "Thanks, I was I just about to come inside and grab it. I still had a final check of the area. Jason knows the printer is all fixed." I said and jumped out of my van. I took the toolbox and put it in the holder I made right next to the door. I then closed the doors of the van and looked at the man. "Melissa Jones by the way from Fixing the Office." I said to him before heading back to the building. I see this man run a bit to get ahead of me so he could use his badge to let us back in the United Center. He holds the door open, waiting for me to go in. I go in the United Center and with no hesitation, "Thank you, what's your name by the way?"

I could see from the corner of my eye that I had thrown him off guard, typical. "Jonathan Toews, captain of the Chicago Blackhawks." He said to me as we turned the one corner. 

Did I just offend a man...sorry a captain, yes, I did by not knowing him. Although not shown, I had a smirk deep inside of me. I probably gave this man a reality check for the first time in a while that just because he's a sports player, not everyone in this city knows him. I get to the printer to do one final check of it and made sure I didn't leave anything behind.

"Can I get your number?" He asked me and my whole body froze in place. 

I collected my thoughts on how to respond back to him. I guess you could say I was hard to get. "Look, Mr. Toews, you might be a nice guy and all that jazz. However, I am a repair technician so I think for your public image, I wouldn't be the person you would want a number from." I said before walking away from the printer.

"I don't care about that last part you said." He said and I stopped, still my back to him. "You seem like a good person yourself and I would love just to get to know you. Yet I understand the angle you're coming from so here." He was now in front of me, and I watched him pulled out of his pocket a random piece of scrap paper and a pen. He wrote down his name and number before extending his arm to me. "If you feel up to it, just text me and we could hang out, maybe go on a date if you're up to it?" He said, mumbling the last part of his sentence but I heard it perfectly clear.

"Well thank you, Mr. Toews" I said and took the paper from his hand and put it in my jacket pocket. I think walked around him and continue my way back down the hallway until I was out of the building. I get to my van and get in before looking to see the time, 5:05pm, time to head back to the office to check out for the day. I put the address of the office in the GPS before putting the van in reverse and backing out of the parking spot. As I put it in forward, I see Jonathan standing there with another guy with curlish hair as they talked. I look forward and pull away from the United Center.