Chapter 4

Jonathan's P.O.V | Glitter & Gold by Barns Courtney

January 22nd, the first game of the season at the United Center. 

I can see the fire in this team, the itch to play hockey again was something we all needed. It was the third game of the season, and we were already 2-0 but both games were on the road. But now it was time for Chicago hockey. Our first game at home for the boys to play in front of their families and friends who were in Chicago. 

I sat in my stall, getting my mind into the game as Coach Q finished his pregame speech. We were dismissed to head towards the tunnel. I hear the pregame video going and it is loud. I hear a low roar from the crowd and can tell Chicago is ready for hockey. I was first as we get the corner but then stop and turn to start fist pumping each of the guys and for some do our pregame ritual. I see Crow hit the ice and the goal horn starts to ring through the United Center. 

And I hear it, the crowd, the Madhouse on Madison.

They are screaming and cheering. 

Kaner comes up to me as the last player to make the ice. We do our helmet hits with our sticks to each other before fist bumping. He walks forwarded and I get in line behind him

I come out of the tunnel and see young fans with their hands out, excited to see us play. I fist bump them before I get to the edge of the tunnel. My skates hit the ice and I get the rush, the excitement of playing at the United Center again. I skate down center ice, to our defensive side. 

The boys start to shoot some of the pucks that were thrown on the ice. Some were doing laps on our end. I looked over and see the Blues coming out from their bench. Both of our teams were coming into this game with a 2-0 record and for one this was about to change to a 2-1 record and that would be the Blues. I took a couple shots as they started to announce each of us on the Blackhawks line up. Towards the end of it, I skate over to get lined up by center ice.

Jim Cornelison and the military veterans for that game out come out on their carpet. They cheered when announcer announced the military veteran. Jim stood there, waiting doe his que. Most national anthem singers just sing the anthem, Jim on the other hand, makes your skin get goosebumps when he sings. 

The crowd goes silent when he starts singing and I get the goosebump feeling again. I see out of the corner of my eye a familiar face sitting close to the glass. Could it be her? Was she here to see if was lying from when I saw her about two weeks ago? Or is it just me visioning that I see her, and that person doesn't even truly look like her.

My thoughts broke as the crowd starts to roar as Jim presents his hand, pointing to the USA flag that is hanging. This crowd always go wild at this point, the only fans to go crazy during the anthem. The anthem ends and I put my helmet back. Kaner skates over to me. "I think she's here for you." He said and gestured his head in the area where I saw her.

"You know when she came by to fix the printer the second time and she asked who I was. Yet once I told her, she didn't say or do anything different because it was me if you get." I said to him just loud enough for him to hear, but with the crowd roaring it was still hard. I didn't even know how describe the interaction I had with her when she came. Yet now that Kaner says he sees her in the crowd, she was for sure here.

"Well, that's a refresher, however it shouldn't last long if she's here. She might be interested in you." Kaner said before going to line up on the right-hand side for opening faceoff. Maybe he is right. If she really doesn't know who I am it would be refreshing. But at this point, she still has the upper hand as she has my number. She hasn't texted me yet however she could just be skeptical if she is truly that new in town.

I get over to center Ice and looks at the Blues centerman as we wait for the referee. Now there's double stakes, not only on the ice but off the ice. To win the game and maybe win a chance for her to text me. But now my focus is on hockey as I get into position. The crowd is roaring, chanting 'Let's go Hawks' as the puck drops, game is on and opening faceoff is won by me.