Chapter 10 - Negotiations

Shit.

The waltz eventually came to an end.

We had long stood still, and yet, Madeleine was staring at me, as if I was the single most captivating person in the room.

I swallowed, as I let go of her hand.

I liked her.

I liked Madeleine Campbell.

And I would never be able to tell her.

"Are you alright, Antoinette? You're shaking." Madeleine reached for my hands, gently rubbing them with her own.

It was insane. Every little action, every single word of hers made me like her more. Was this normal? I don't think it was.

"You seem to be having fun." I flinched at Quinn's voice. He had somehow managed to sneak up behind me.

"Ah- er, yes. We are." I internally lamented when Madeleine let go of my hands.

"I apologize for interrupting in that case, but the crown prince wants to speak with you in the lounge. Alone." He shot me a meaningful look, and I swallowed.

"I... I see." I clenched my fists.

Madeleine's eyes darted between us before she folded her hands in front of her.

"Antoinette, I wish for us to keep seeing each other. Could you please come to see me at my residence as soon as possible?" She smiled, gently, and my stomach started feeling fuzzy.

"Of course. And I'm sorry to cut our time short." I tried to not look too disappointed.

We bowed to each other before Quinn lead me away.

"I don't know why he wants to see you, but I can smuggle you out of the party. I don't think he'd get that angry if I told him, so you should run while you still can." He was walking much faster than me, in a direction that definitely didn't lead to the lounge.

Catching up to him, I grabbed his shirt, causing us both to abruptly stop.

"Quinn. I... I can't keep avoiding him. I might as well get it over with."

".... I guess." He groaned, brushing his hair back.

"Let's... both go back to the lounge. I don't know how, but maybe he'll allow you to stay? At least I hope so." A sigh escaped me, as we both turned around, walking the opposite way.

"I fucking hope so. I don't know much about him, but I trust him about as far as I can throw him."

"... Quinn, you can throw logs, like, ten meters far."

"Figure of speech. You know what I mean." He rolled his eyes, though I did not miss how he encouragingly squeezed my shoulder.

We finally arrived in front of the ornate door.

Quinn knocked twice before a voice from inside invited us in.

To call the room fancy was an understatement. Borderline gaudy was more accurate.

Golden benches with red velvet cushions were in the middle of the room, surrounded by marble floors and walls, and a lot of detailed paintings, mostly containing naked people frolicking in fields.

I quietly wished to be inside one of those paintings instead.

Luca of course was sitting in the middle of the couch facing the door, legs crossed, and a rectangular box sitting on the coffee table in front of him.