Chapter 17 - I love you

"-The sun in Dominizia is dreadful. My skin is already sensitive, but this... this is simply unheard of!" Madeleine whined as she pointed at her sunburn.

It was big, and red, and covered most of her back.

"Albinism is nothing to scoff at, I fear." She sighed, looking up at me from her spot on the floor, as she held her face in her hands.

I hummed, my knitting needles clacking as I listened to her. "Do you have anything to protect yourself from the heat?"

"No. My aunt packs my suitcase when I leave, and she doesn't really get summer. Or sunburn. Or heat." Madeleine flops down on the couch, hands covering her eyes as she groaned.

Looking at her acting this way, it didn't surprise me much that she grew up sheltered. No noble would dare to show themselves this unkempt in front of others, lest it'd start rumors.

I flushed slightly at the realization that she might be acting this relaxed because she trusted me, and coughed as I got up, putting my knitting aside.

Madeleine peeked at me from between her fingers. "Where are you going?"

"Just fetching something." I walked to my wardrobe, rummaging around before I found what I was looking for.

I approached her again, holding the wrapped object toward her.

She gave me quizzed look, grabbing it and slowly unwrapping it.

She gasped. "A parasol?"

"Indeed. I bought it a while ago, but I don't go out much, so I don't need it." I grinned at her. "It'll shield you from the sun at least somewhat."

She was staring down at the delicate lace that made up its surface, gently stroking it, before her huge red eyes met mine.

She didn't say anything for a bit, but her mouth moved as if she wanted to.

"I- Antoinette- I- I think I-" She swallowed, her face flushing as she lightly shook her head.

Whatever she was planning on saying, she didn't. Instead, she exhaled deeply, before nodding at me, a polite smile on her features. "I think you might just be the most considerate person I know. Thank you, Antoinette."

I didn't know why, but it felt as if my heart was being squeezed in my chest. "Of course. It's my pleasure." I smiled at her.

If only I wasn't such a coward.

She set the parasol aside, looking at me. "Now, I assume you've asked me to come here for a reason?"

It felt as if something was lodged in my throat, but I nodded.
"Yes. I went out with sir Farraday to the lower class district recently, to assess the situation there."

Her face dropped at the mention of Quinn, her lips pressed into a thin line.
"You were... with sir Farraday, huh?"

I raised a brow. "Yes. He is one of my closest friends after all. Is that... an issue?"

She shakes her head rapidly. "No no no, it's not an issue. Please, don't mind me. You were saying?"

I shrugged, before telling her of the decrepit state of the lower classes district, and my discoveries concerning the child soldiers.

At the mention of the war, she frowns. "Augustine... was drafting orphan children?"

"I was surprised too. Have you ever heard of anything of the sort?"

She shakes her head, chewing on her thumbnail. "No. But, if it was true, there is no way the royal family wouldn't be aware. Unless-"

Her eyes widened.

"Unless they knew."

I inhaled sharply.

We looked at each other.

Just thinking those things was already treason.

"I think the royal family might have covered this whole thing up." She stared at me as she uttered those words.

"There might have been more to this war than just defending Dominizia's borders."

I was silent. I could only stare at her as I processed her words.

Was it the king who instigated the whole thing?

Or one of his sons?

I'd find out, one way or another.

I got up, nervously pacing around as the gears in my brain turned.

"We have to... we have to get on the side of the lower class," I mumbled, arms crossed in front of my chest. "If we get them on our side, we can-  we could try to change things. And I think- they deserve a bit of revenge."

Madeleine nodded, hesitantly. "I agree, but... Antoinette. I'm unsure that they'd trust you. You're a direct descendant of Augustine."

"They won't be following me." I looked at her.

She frowned.

"You- you will be the symbol of the rebellion. You will be the tragic figure that lost their family in the war. And I-" I swallowed. "I'll be by your side, supporting you from the shadows."

Her frown grew deeper.
"That's stupid."

"Wha-?! Excuse me-"

"No. If we're gonna do this, we're gonna do it together. Understood? None of this 'from the shadows' nonsense. I expect you to be there, symbol along with me." She bit her lip. "I need you, Antoinette. I can't do it by myself. You're not some- Villain, ruling from the dark side. You're-"

"Madeleine-" She was working herself into a frenzy, growing louder with each word.

She grabbed my hands, looking me in the eye.
"No! You're so much more than what they call you, Antoinette! You're not just Augustine's grandchild!!! You're you!" She paused, growing quieter. "And, I love you."

The silence grew deafening.

My heart hammered in my chest.

"I love- I love you, Antoinette. I always have."

Her hands squeezed mine.

My face grew terribly hot.

"I love you too," I whispered the words.

I assume she heard me.

Because she proceeded to pull my face toward her own, crashing our lips together.

Maybe dying was worth it, if this was my reward.