Chapter 12: The toybox

"I'm so proud of you Sunny!" Mari smiled happily, hugging him. Sunny melted into the hug, leaning against her body. She felt warmer than she did yesterday.

"See, things can work out! You just have to let it run its course." Hero said to Kel, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. Kel chuckled a bit, nodding.

"Why don't we have a picnic? Like we used to?" Mari looked at the others as she slowly pulled away from her younger brother.

"That would be sweet." Aubrey smiled lightly.

"We can make cookies." Hero's eyes lit up. Mari's did the same and she nodded as Hero followed her to the kitchen.

"I still can't believe it all.. Everything that's happened recently.." Basil adjusted his flower clip as he spoke.

"It's nice... I've missed this... I really hope things can go back to how they were before." Aubrey wiped some dust off of the TV.

Sunny smiled gently and nodded, glancing at Kel. "Yeah! I'm just so happy that things will be okay." Kel rubbed the back of his head. "So I hope."

"Don't worry about it, it'll be okay." Basil reassured him, Kel nodding in response.

"What should we do while they prepare for the picnic?" Aubrey asked.

"Where should we even have it?" Basil tilted his head.

"The secret spot would be nice... but the treehouse also isn't a bad idea. There's just too many spiders in there and Hero wouldn't really enjoy it all too much, especially since Mari really likes spiders." Kel chuckled.

Sunny shuddered at the thought of going into the treehouse. While he had gotten over his fear of spiders, they still made him uncomfortable. While he wasn't as overreactive as Hero was when he saw a spider, they still gave him the creeps.

"We should go to the secret spot.." Sunny replied softly. The others seemed to agree.

Everyone went silent as they heard Sunny's phone ringing upstairs. He apologized as he jumped off the couch and rushed upstairs to pick the phone up. He didn't bother with looking at the caller ID and simply asked who had called. As soon as he heard them speak, his heart sank.

"Sunny. I'm sorry for last night, but she can't be here much longer. She'll get too powerful."

"What do you even mean?? She's okay-."

"If you tell her the truth she'll kill you.."

"I already told her, and she has no grievances. Please, just leave us alone."

"You don't get it. It's not that it will make her angry at this point. The more information she remembers from her past, the stronger she will become. And there's a chance she can harm others in the process."

"How does that even work? Didn't I mess up the ritual?"

"You did, and that's the problem. Because you didn't put a personal item of hers in the center, she lost her memory. But as a result, her spirit is cursed. The more she learns, the more power she gets, and the more power she gets, the more dangerous she becomes."

"I'm not letting you kill her."

"It's not killing her! It's returning her to her resting place before things get worse."

"Please... I've been so happy since she's been back... She wants to live a normal life."

"How is she supposed to do that when she is vulnerable due to her abilities??"

"She can probably handle it!!" Sunny gripped the phone tighter. "I already made a mistake and took my sister away from me, and I'm not letting my stupidity do that to her again."